Who Declared for Class A?

ok, let me reverse the question to you Joe:

who says a corps has to get bigger? in your mind, does big = good?

Govies have filled the small corps niche well, and it helps them keep a fun, family atmosphere as well as contains costs.

maybe they WANT to stay that way by design?

Govies are a corps that anyone starting a corps from scratch can idolize. They are VERY good, have a great history,and are known as good people.They are the Class A team to beat on the field, and anyone trying to, will be better for it. :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Govies are a corps that anyone starting a corps from scratch can idolize. They are VERY good, have a great history,and are known as good people.They are the Class A team to beat on the field, and anyone trying to, will be better for it. :)

.......and also had the "GUTS" to compete against the TBIRDS for the coveted "Parking Lot" trophy. These guys are a Hoot :blink:

One of the reasons the Govies are the size they are ( and by the way, half the performances we do we do during the summer, we are considered big) is because we come from a town of under 10,000 people. With this in mind, I believe that not only are the Govies the oldest, but we also come from the smallest town in drum corps.

How big is your town and how big is your corps? :P

One of the reasons the Govies are the size they are ( and by the way, half the performances we do we do during the summer, we are considered big) is because we come from a town of under 10,000 people. With this in mind, I believe that not only are the Govies the oldest, but we also come from the smallest town in drum corps.

How big is your town and how big is your corps? :P

Albion Grenadiers, 60 people town of 9,012

:)

It, in my mind, is not fair the the corps that are bigger, they play not quite as clean, but it is harder TO clean. Why NOT become a power house if you had the chance... Idk i guess i'm just sick of seeing 2 man snare lines. :)

Albion Grenadiers, 60 people town of 9,012

:)

It, in my mind, is not fair the the corps that are bigger, they play not quite as clean, but it is harder TO clean. Why NOT become a power house if you had the chance... Idk i guess i'm just sick of seeing 2 man snare lines. :)

I will take quality over quantity any day. I marched in a corps with 16 people total for 2 years and I have now been in Statesmen for 3 years.

I am lucky that in Statesmen we have quality people in great quantity.

I would much rather see Govies with 2 snares than with a 4 or 5 man line with only 2 quality players. Govies are a great little drum corps and I like seeing them just the way they are. Part of the appeal is the small quality lines that they have.

Keep it up!

And Joe, corps with full lines have been wicked clean as well. Check out Bucs, or Minnesota Brass sometime. They have lines that could compete in the DCI circuit. So in the end it comes down to quality. Lines with 10 snares can be clean and so can lines with 2. It is the quality of the 2 or 10 that you have that in the end makes the difference.

I will take quality over quantity any day. I marched in a corps with 16 people total for 2 years and I have now been in Statesmen for 3 years.

I am lucky that in Statesmen we have quality people in great quantity.

I would much rather see Govies with 2 snares than with a 4 or 5 man line with only 2 quality players. Govies are a great little drum corps and I like seeing them just the way they are. Part of the appeal is the small quality lines that they have.

Keep it up!

And Joe, corps with full lines have been wicked clean as well. Check out Bucs, or Minnesota Brass sometime. They have lines that could compete in the DCI circuit. So in the end it comes down to quality. Lines with 10 snares can be clean and so can lines with 2. It is the quality of the 2 or 10 that you have that in the end makes the difference.

:lol::lol::lol:

:blink:

One of the reasons the Govies are the size they are... is because we come from a town of under 10,000 people. With this in mind, I believe that not only are the Govies the oldest, but we also come from the smallest town in drum corps.

Not that Saint Peter, MN is a bustling metropolis or anything, but its population is over twice the size of Dansville, NY (4,708).

This has bothered me for a while. Why does your corps not have any intent on getting bigger?

I said it in 2004 when I first saw them, and I 'll say it again: Govenaires are the best little corps I've ever seen. They'd kick the butts of a lot of slightly larger corps (and some even bigger), DCA or DCI. Larger does not necessarily mean better.

I'd be willing to bet that the Govies would LOVE to recruit more members and get bigger, but why should they HAVE to get bigger, just to relieve your stress, Joe? They are one in a very small universe of corps that can excel with the few members they do get. They have learned to adjust and adapt to a situation that would make most other corps give up in frustration and fold. So, why should they relinquish that ability, just to please a few people who don't understand?

Joe, take a look close to home: Crusaders did not field a corps in 2004. If they had gone out with whatever membership was still showing up at the time, Cru might STILL have had more members than Govies actually fielded at DCA that year (and came in second in Class A, might I add). Those few people turned EVERYONE at DCA into Govies Fans.

THAT's the power a few people can wield, if they do everything right. And the Govies do it right. Every other corps (practically ALL with substantially more resources and members) would kill for that kind of ability.

Kinda makes all of us want to run off to St Peter, MN, and join up, doesn't it?