April Gilligan At SCV!

Good stuff for SCV if both Dave Meikle and April are there. I saw their pre-season video and they are looking pretty good. They were haulin and spinning their butts off in that video, can't wait to see it on the field.

And the legendary Jonathan Schwartz (sp?) from the original cast of blAst! is still over at The Cadets, which is fantastic.....his equipment work (if he writes it still) is top notch (he did write work for the 98 championship guard which was genius)

Who you callin' legendary?

It's Mr. Legendary, and check the spelling.

Regards,

John Swartz

Optimists 04 - ?

Oaklands 77-80

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did it ever occur to you (and others who've posted in this thread) that maybe the people responsible for drops are the people holding the equipment on the field, not a person in the stands or on the track? :huh:

Oh. By that logic, BD's multiple guard wins (the most in DCI) are due to breeding and arbitrarily choosing approx. 36 people every year and NOT the teaching/writing of that SMALL guard staff (Chandler, TJ, etc) that has been w/ the corps for years?

I do see your point; April or Scott can't hold onto a piece of equipment, but BD has FAR fewer drops annually and not at all easy guard books.

Oh. By that logic, BD's multiple guard wins (the most in DCI) are due to breeding and arbitrarily choosing approx. 36 people every year and NOT the teaching/writing of that SMALL guard staff (Chandler, TJ, etc) that has been w/ the corps for years?

I do see your point; April or Scott can't hold onto a piece of equipment, but BD has FAR fewer drops annually and not at all easy guard books.

Far fewer drops then who? How can you conclude that?

I'd say each guard in the activity has their on nights, and their off nights.

seriously folks... okay, different take on this. it's a concert at my school. people in the community come out to see us, since we're pretty decent. whoops, i crack a high note by accident for whatever reason instead of a solid attack. is it my private teacher's fault? is it the brass faculty's fault? is it the director's fault? maybe it's the dean's fault. um, no. it's my fault. no one else is blowing air through my euphonium, or pressing down my valves, or vibrating my lips.

YES, my instructors have provided me with skills and guided me and taught me many valuable things, and i've not cracked many many more notes in concerts and lessons and practice than i have. yes, i'm obviously a decent euphonium player since i auditioned for a well-known school of music, got in, am paid to play in enesembles, etc. our faculty is skilled at what they do. but at the end of the night, the only person you can blame for that cracked note is the person who played it, just like the only person responsible for a beautifully played solo is (gasp) the person who played it. not denying that the people who helped them get there didn't do just that -- help them get there. but it's just that. helped THEM get there....not helped themselves get there.

everyone has off nights or bad performances. everyone. no matter who their instructor is. it's not like april is out there telling her guard to please drop things, or my professor told me to make sure i cracked a note. (trust me, i've heard her instructing the UM auxiliary program for two years now....honestly, she doesn't encourage drops or mistakes, lol)

Edited by BariEuph

I dare you guys to tell April to her face, that any of her past guards did a bad job ...I double dare you.

:spit: w/Stp:

News flash...

April was at Spirit's rehearsal tonight.

Wrong, and we have seen the opposite happen as well. Drops on finals night will not get you high guard, no matter what your content, delivery, execution, or exposure is. Its not opinion, or debateable, its fact.

~G~

explain 2002

News flash...

April was at Spirit's rehearsal tonight.

man she's getting around..she keeps this up, every conspiracy theory imaginable will be shot to ####

April is the best there is....though I've heard the horror stories, whenever I've said hello to her she's always been really friendly to me.

I think the Cadets colorguard hit their height around the mid 90s. I think their work before 1997 was noticeably cleaner.

They're still incredible...but something about them in 95 just seemed unreal.