Drumline feature random swaying

Swaying  

91 members have voted

1. 1. When drumlines have a feature, and players randomly sway around, I think:

• It's a cool move, drawing attention and groovin' (Like)
    • I'd rather they stay still so I can see what they're doing (Dislike)
    • Drumlines sway? (Never thought about it)
    • I sway Michael Boo's way (No opinion)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on the feature, but I tend to like them to stay still. Visually it just appeals to me more.

I liked BD's snare movement during their feature in 03, and in parts of 04. SCV really got into it in 2004, and it was cool.

So yeah, I guess I like when drumlines get into it. Unless they're playing something that's dirty or something that's really easy, then it's stupid. For example, I saw a corps at a parade a couple weeks ago where the center snare was rocking out to everything, including eight on a hand. It was kind of stupid.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for the last few years, since it seems every corps has adopted this mentality that breaking form and standing casually adds to the intensity and effect of a drum solo. IMO this movement completely goes against the desired effect of the solo, to demonstrate skill while conveying precision and uniformity.

Stand still or march (in step) in a line so I can watch your sticks please. Leave the dancing to the guard.

I love it when drumlines sway during a sweet drum feature. Whenever SCV does it during one of their drum breaks it just looks so awesome. I've also seen BD do it for their on-field warmup during The Ditty, and I thought that looked cool too, but during the on-field warmup it was more like them walking around in a big cluster and rocking out, it looked sweet.

I like it to a degree. For example, Bluecoats sway last year during the feature went with the flow, and I liked it. SCV's swaying in '03 and '04 was kind of excessive, but I don't care seeing as how well they executed those features.

Anyone else ever notice the bottom bass in 2003's head rocking back and forth as they're marching to the set during the big horn entrance?

It's relative, IMO. I wouldn't want to see the cavaliers, in a Machine-themed show, have one snare bobbing up and down, nor would I want to see Phantom doing it, esp. in a tension-release-type program like 1996. OTOH, the Bridgemen...yeah. The Knights played album rock in 86, 87, and 88, but our battery did that stuff in unison.

just like others have said...

depends on the music/vibe of the show. it also depends on the execution. if it's a "rock out" type of moment, then sure, get into it, especially since percussion is one the few, if not the only, instruments that is not only aurally pleasing, but also capable of producing a great deal of visual stimuli. however, overuse, misuse, or poor execution of a musical idea as a result of body movement cheapens it.

nothing wrong with showing the audience that you're enjoying the moment and your music... as long as i'm not experiencing motion sickness as a result of it.

Edited by agdrum33