PR APDs

This is not a flame so please don't take it that way, but a non-drum corps friend of mine made the observation that drum corps fans convince themselves to like drum corps shows. I think for the most part, her statement is ridiculous, but after reading through this thread I'm thinking it might be true to a certain extent.

It's almost like some people are saying, "I don't like parts of pr's show now, but I certainly will in the future." I understand because I've experienced this myself, as certain music just has to "grow" on you.

Once again, not a slam on anyone or any corps, just an observation.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like Regiment's show better than Cavies this year. The opener is a little abrasive but I think with some tweaking I can get behind it. Ever since I heard Chanticleer do Bibel's Ave Maria I have been hoping Phantom would do it. I cannot wait to hear it in late July. It will be my favorite drum corps musical moment ever. The rest of the show is very frantic and I love it! They have a phenomenal horn line.

It would be nice to see them 5th at finals behind Coats of course. :)

Actually, Regiment played Ave in 2001 as a concert piece. It was sooo very beautiful in G.

I think they mean that this is for all intents and purposes a rough product. They will enjoy it more when changes have been made to the music and the style come August; not necessarily that this recording will "grow" on you as you hear it more and more. Some shows do grow on you. Others don't. But I think people are refering to the show that Faust will become in the future. Because I have a feeling it will be very different from this early season recording.

Having said that, I just purchased my first ADP. And I must say, I do enjoy this show! It's great to hear what they've done with the extremely rough music we were given at auditions. Too bad I couldn't have been just a little better. :( But while the lead sops sound a bit edgy right now, I'm sure everything will clean itself up into that amazing Phantom sound. More than it is right now. I can wait to see this show develop! Awesome!

Is the similitarty to Canon intentional in Ave Maria towards the end? Because I have a feeling it is. Spine tingling...

Edited by PhantomFanT10

This is not a flame so please don't take it that way, but a non-drum corps friend of mine made the observation that drum corps fans convince themselves to like drum corps shows. I think for the most part, her statement is ridiculous, but after reading through this thread I'm thinking it might be true to a certain extent.

It's almost like some people are saying, "I don't like parts of pr's show now, but I certainly will in the future." I understand because I've experienced this myself, as certain music just has to "grow" on you.

Once again, not a slam on anyone or any corps, just an observation.

And a good one!

I think drum corps are very good at opening fans' minds about music they might not like right away. By that, I mean getting people to appreciate things they might not otherwise like, in some other context, or might not otherwise like period. Opening minds to a different view of things might be a better way of putting it.

I dislike "Phantom of the Opera," for instance, but love SCV playing it. Funny. My initial reaction wasn't that favorable, but a corps like SCV convinced me to follow their perspective on things. A truly great corps does that.

Another example is Regiment's version of Piazzolla. I certainly respect and appreciate the importance of his music in its context, but I've listened to Regiment playing it over a hundred times, whereas I've listened to my "source" cd's only a few times. And again, it didn't immediately grab me.

Drum corps put their own unique stamp on things, and the music and arrangement get wrapped up in the performance, and the two become linked. Regiment will grow into this latest vehicle. They haven't yet, but they will. I'm sure of it.

IMO.

And Ave Maria in G does kick. hard.

Edited by festive

The resolution at the end of the opening statement (at about :50 to :59) is the essense of the Regiment...this will cause serious chills come August.

I was in Toledo and the show was more powerful live...my hope is they become an ensemble very soon. I was thinking the Bluecoats put on a better show that night. Although my intial thoughts where that this may be a lot like 2004 meaning it is going to be a monster to clean from the onset, this show has worlds of GE potential once confidently performed and the guard begins to express their talent.

Actually, Regiment played Ave in 2001 as a concert piece. It was sooo very beautiful in G.

We also played it in 1992 for encores until it was replaced late in the season with the first PR rendition of Amazing Grace... with the LOUD ending.

Love the drum parts - man, that must be a fun show to play! Just some purely blissful moments in there.

I think they'll get things cleaned up, and it will sound like a completely different show come August. Just like every year!

I was not quite liking the Ave yet. I dunno - no goosebumps, but I expect what they are attempting in it is rather hard to execute to that sweet level we expect from PR.

Love the drum parts - man, that must be a fun show to play! Just some purely blissful moments in there.

I think they'll get things cleaned up, and it will sound like a completely different show come August. Just like every year!

I was not quite liking the Ave yet. I dunno - no goosebumps, but I expect what they are attempting in it is rather hard to execute to that sweet level we expect from PR.

There's a lot of emotion in that piece that PR hasn't worked out yet, but it's June so they've got time.

I just hope they slow down the Mahler 2 segment. It needs to be much more majestic than how they're doing it now.

I hope they convince me when I see them live. I was fairly disappointed with the APD, unfortunately. And I'm an uber-PR fan, too.