omaha scores

That means they'll have to beat Cadets, Cavaliers, Blue Devils on Finals night. Before we get ahead of ourselves here before it's not quite yet the last week of June 2006., shouldn't we wait until the Bluecoats actually beat just ONE of these 3 Corps before we coronate them a future DCI Champion ? it's one thing to get to the top 4 on Finals Night, but it's quite another to jump over these 3 perennial top 3 Corps and grab the title. Not saying it can't be done some year down the road, but the odds and history should tell you.... " don't hold your breath ".

A valid point. Keep saying the Bluecoats haven't proved anything to anyone yet. You are totally right.

However, let me just offer this.

Let's say a different corps, say my friends at Carolina Crown, continues their climb in terms of performance excellence, they bring all the elements together in their organization and design and they win DCI. Exactly what will history and tradition of other corps have to do with their drive to succeed and win?

To explain myself further, let's talk about the 70's. Garfield wasn't exactly a perennial contender in that era of their history. Let's include the early 80's and the Cavaliers through the 70's until then weren't perennial contenders. In contrast, let's talk about the meteoric rise of the Blue Devils in the seventies soon after their inception. Winning a championship has everything to do with the commitment, talent, and the synthesis of a lot of different, dynamic elements that bring the best out of an organization.

The difference is that the "perennial contenders" figured out this chemistry, be it through the vision at the top of the organization or through the efforts of talented instructors and members, or both. Does this make them the only ones capable of creating chemistry? Hardly. I applaud their efforts and enjoy each of the corps you speak of a lot. But I have to tell you, when other groups have touched the so called "elite" I have been happy about it. An increase in the number of incredible drum corps help the activity.

Yes, of course, it is far too early to say that the Bluecoats will challenge for x position at finals, but it is also always too early to count any drum corps out of a significant move upward and forward in the development of their program based on the reputation of the "perennial contenders" they compete with.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing, if the Blue Stars are going to jump up and beat someone, they've got to show some strength in some captions. They didn't beat the Colts in any caption tonight. 2.2 is not a huge spread so that means the Colts are just a little ahead of them in every single sub caption. Sheez, c'mon Blue Stars...we're rooting for ya, pop one and the judges will give ya the number!

DW

So, while it COULD be the Bluecoats to break the slotting of the top 3 great Corps

And just who do you think the top 3 "slotted" corps are?

Of COURSE its my opinion...that was the whole point.

it's most of dcp opinion? heh (thinking out loud. sorry.) :P

Lets just all agree to continue underdogging Bluecoats like years past, cool?

..and then be totally suprised finals week when they come around and kick ###.

^OO^

That DOES seem to be the trend!

In YOUR opinion, they may be the most likely ( if it's done at all ). For all we know, it could just as easily be the Blue Stars some year in the future. That Corps has made a tremendous leap from the last 24 months and as a DCI Corps they have actually come closer to the DCI Title in their past than the Bluecoats have. So, while it COULD be the Bluecoats to break the slotting of the top 3 great Corps, it could just as easily be a rapidly rising and revamped Blue Stars. The Blue Stars may find it easier to catch up to the Bluecoats in a few years, than for EITHER of them to leap over the Cadets, Cavies, and BD in the same year to grab the title. Of course, that's just my opinion too.

Am I supposed to take this post seriously? Blue Stars contending for a title anytime soon... that's funny. Hilarious, in fact.

Not thinking they're going to win the title this year is underdogging them?

He's refereing to a trend on DCP for several years where tons of people count out the Bluecoats and then come finals night when they place higher then people predicted everyone suddenly goes "Oh yeah! Bluecoats are GOOD!"

To explain myself further, let's talk about the 70's. Garfield wasn't exactly a perennial contender in that era of their history. Let's include the early 80's and the Cavaliers through the 70's until then weren't perennial contenders. In contrast, let's talk about the meteoric rise of the Blue Devils in the seventies soon after their inception. Winning a championship has everything to do with the commitment, talent, and the synthesis of a lot of different, dynamic elements that bring the best out of an organization.

Number of corps that placed somewhere in the top 5 from 1972-1985 (the first year Cavies made the top 5, and therefore the first year that every member of the so-called "Big 6" had made the top 5): 15

Number of corps that placed in the top 5 from 1986-2005: 11.

Considering the larger time period of the second sample, the disparity is pretty evident. It was much easier to break into the upper echelon back in the day than it is now.

I'd also like to point out that the last corps to place in the top 4 besides Madison, SCV, BD, Phantom, Cavies, or Cadets was Star in 1993. Before that it was 27th Lancers in 1981. And though the top 6 certainly don't have a monopoly on "commitment, talent, and the synthesis of a lot of different dynamic element that bring the best out of an organization," they have proven that they are very resilient when it comes to fighting off up-and-comers.

Edited by Malambo13