What if...

what if the GE judges have never seen the movies before... would this affect the idea of their show?

like, ive never seen the godfather trilogy so i have no clue what vito...vito, or luca brazi means... or the fishes or horses.... other then cool music i really wouldnt be able to follow it i dont think. i havent seen the show yet so this might not be the case, but who knows...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what if the GE judges have never seen the movies before... would this affect the idea of their show?

like, ive never seen the godfather trilogy so i have no clue what vito...vito, or luca brazi means... or the fishes or horses.... other then cool music i really wouldnt be able to follow it i dont think. i havent seen the show yet so this might not be the case, but who knows...

A lot of judges will explore programmed music before-hand. DCI music judges are professionals, and they know thier business. Part of thier responsibility is to have at least a familiarity with program material. That means seeking out CDs, DVDs, or other media. Obviously, when it comes to original material that is not possible (and it's part of what goes into planning an original program).

I would hope that both musical and visual judges who are not familiar with The Godfather would have at least rented the DVD of the first movie at their local Blockbuster. If we're halfway through the season and a judge hasn't seen it, I would have to question that judge's preperation method.

IMHO, I think the music stands on its own - without regard to the content or storyline of the movie trilogy. For me, the melodic theme is just one of those signatures that you 'get'.

Nino Rota, the composer of the film score, was an accomplished composer well before he wrote the Godfather soundtrack - including credits for some 152 films, including Fellini's "Romeo and Juliet".

Definately see the movies ..... but I don't think they're a pre-requisite for appreciating the passion of the music.

My $0.02.

-john

We'll see on that...I haven't seen the movies except I did manage to stumble upon the horse's head scene one night

I was eating a hamburger...until that moment

A lot of judges will explore programmed music before-hand. DCI music judges are professionals, and they know thier business. Part of thier responsibility is to have at least a familiarity with program material. That means seeking out CDs, DVDs, or other media.

I didn't know that it was required that the judge must familiarize him/herself with the original pieces (not saying it's not true, I just didn't know)...I agree with the poster that said that each performance should stand on its own. It doesn't make sense that there should be prerequisites to a drum corps show...

Edited by 12L

What about last year's GE judges for the Cadets? I *STILL* don't get a lot of the show... was the drumspeak something to do with "Dancer in the Dark?" When Daryl Hannah was whistling "Twisted Nerve" in KB, she was on her way to kill Uma. Other than music effect, I don't even know why they warmed up/opened with that. I know it's 2006, but I was always afraid to ask WTF, because I thought I was the only one who avoided "Dancer in the Dark" because of that creepy singer.

Btw, corps have "press releases" of sorts for judges. BD's 1994 release was quite wordy in explanation.. for such an UNcomplicated show.

What about last year's GE judges for the Cadets? I *STILL* don't get a lot of the show... was the drumspeak something to do with "Dancer in the Dark?" When Daryl Hannah was whistling "Twisted Nerve" in KB, she was on her way to kill Uma. Other than music effect, I don't even know why they warmed up/opened with that. I know it's 2006, but I was always afraid to ask WTF, because I thought I was the only one who avoided "Dancer in the Dark" because of that creepy singer.

Btw, corps have "press releases" of sorts for judges. BD's 1994 release was quite wordy in explanation.. for such an UNcomplicated show.

but..... Cadets show wasnt about those movies. BDs is, and i really dont think judges should have to familiarize themselves with things before they see a show.