Are we bored of the old stuff yet?

I was on YouTube watching the Cadets drum feature from the 2001 show... when it was one, it reminded me how much I enjoy that particular one and the one from the 2000 show. And then I got to thinking... you know, in just a few short years, the Cadets have really gone to a new dimension of what drum corps is, as we all have noticed and acknowledged. I do know that change can be good, however, I'm just wondering if the evolution of our activity is going by way to fast? The reason I say this is because of those two Cadet shows I mentioned. I love 2000 especially, and really, there's nothing innovative about it in regards to what we're seeing now. My point? It's very entertaining, impressing me with the skill of the battery (namely the tenors) and the amzing things the hornline does. Then I go back and watch my all time favorite show, 1989 SCV. Again, compared to today, nothing innovate (obviously).

Anyway, to cut to the chase. I like change. Change is a good thing. However, I personally feel as though we're leaving many parts of the activity untouched and laying in the road behind us. I feel as though, even all the way back to the beginning, we have unfinished business in the world of what a corps could do with what was given to them. I mean, we have amps, mics, vocals, etc. now and I don't feel we've even come CLOSE to all the amazing things that could be done with just 3 valved horns. I know, I could've said all the way back to the beginning or G bugles or whatever, but you get my point. I don't feel as though we've exhausted all the possibilities that we could have had and are simply using new toys as a means to lessen creativity... you may think that singing in a show is creative but it's not. Creativity doesn't come the first time you do something with a set of tools. Creativity comes, after years of making things with said tools, you then manage to come out with something amazing (a la the drill work in the 2002 Cavaliers).

Anyway, ranting aside, I just wanted to see if anyone else sees where I am coming from. Not trying to bash anyone or start anything, because like I said, I still think change is good, I'm just worried that, with two goods (creativity and innovation) that we're just leaving one behind to never be fully utilized.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. There are certain points of change that have taken place that add enjoyable aspects to various shows. But I feel in some cases actual "drum corps" is being bypassed for the sake of indulging new fads for the simple fact that "we can". Change is good, but it is a mistake to venture too far from the roots of the activity.

VERY INSIGHTFUL OBSERVATIONS

The catch phrase “change is good” bothers me….

The rise of the Nazis to power in pre-war Germany was a change – it wasn’t good. Good change is good. Bad change is bad. None of us is the final arbiter on which changes n DCI are good or bad, but I agree that, just like all aspects of our lives in the new century, the rate of change in corps is too fast to get a good look at what you’ve got right now.

Jim

I was on YouTube watching the Cadets drum feature from the 2001 show... when it was one, it reminded me how much I enjoy that particular one and the one from the 2000 show. And then I got to thinking... you know, in just a few short years, the Cadets have really gone to a new dimension of what drum corps is, as we all have noticed and acknowledged. I do know that change can be good, however, I'm just wondering if the evolution of our activity is going by way to fast? The reason I say this is because of those two Cadet shows I mentioned. I love 2000 especially, and really, there's nothing innovative about it in regards to what we're seeing now. My point? It's very entertaining, impressing me with the skill of the battery (namely the tenors) and the amzing things the hornline does. Then I go back and watch my all time favorite show, 1989 SCV. Again, compared to today, nothing innovate (obviously).

Anyway, to cut to the chase. I like change. Change is a good thing. However, I personally feel as though we're leaving many parts of the activity untouched and laying in the road behind us. I feel as though, even all the way back to the beginning, we have unfinished business in the world of what a corps could do with what was given to them. I mean, we have amps, mics, vocals, etc. now and I don't feel we've even come CLOSE to all the amazing things that could be done with just 3 valved horns. I know, I could've said all the way back to the beginning or G bugles or whatever, but you get my point. I don't feel as though we've exhausted all the possibilities that we could have had and are simply using new toys as a means to lessen creativity... you may think that singing in a show is creative but it's not. Creativity doesn't come the first time you do something with a set of tools. Creativity comes, after years of making things with said tools, you then manage to come out with something amazing (a la the drill work in the 2002 Cavaliers).

Anyway, ranting aside, I just wanted to see if anyone else sees where I am coming from. Not trying to bash anyone or start anything, because like I said, I still think change is good, I'm just worried that, with two goods (creativity and innovation) that we're just leaving one behind to never be fully utilized.

you're absolutely right. This was my argument against amps in the first place. For me Cavaliers 2002 was indicitive of exactly how much was still left undone in the art, and that adding unnatural things was entirely unnecessary. There's a reason I haven't been a drum corps show since 2003.

Now I say change is good with one requirement. Once all possible creative outlets have been exhausted with that we had at some given point, THEN change is good to preserve innovation, creativity, and entertainment. However, like I said, at this juncture, I don't think we fully realized what could be done with just valved brass for the example before we moved onto amps.

...I don't think we fully realized what could be done with just valved brass for the example before we moved onto amps.

I agree with this thought. Anyone who doesn't agree, just watch a corps this year and ask yourself what NEW things are you seeing/hearing that have nothing to do with amps. In Toledo I saw the Cavaliers do plenty of things that HAD BEEN LEGAL for DCI drum corps to do for decades, but had NEVER BEEN DONE up until the moment they did it. That's innovation.

Creativity doesn't come the first time you do something with a set of tools. Creativity comes, after years of making things with said tools, you then manage to come out with something amazing.

The definition of creativity from various dictionaries:

-producing or using original and unusual ideas

-involving the use of the imagination and original ideas

-new and original

-characterized by originality and expressiveness; imaginative

-having the qualities of something created rather than imitated

NONE of the definitions limit creativity to something that uses the same (said) tools that have already been used for years

Any desire to use the same tools until all possible ideas have been exhausted is a personal preference and not a definition of creativity