Why can't we let the Cadets be the Cadets?

People are going to BASH whoever they what, some of us don't like it, some of us do. Can't stop people from hating the Cadets, Devils, Phantom, Cavaliers, republicans etc..hehe

Just think, there are a bunch of summer band and summer wind ensemble people bashing drum corps and drum corps people right now. They say "drum corps people are not real mucicians ", they only know how to play loud, NO serious musician ever came from a drum corps, drum corps players give real musicians a bad name. The watered down Jazz the Blue Devils play is #### compared to what we play in summer jazz band." Just check their sites.

Summer bands hate on drum corps. some corps hate on other corps. some bloggers hate on other bloggers.

But, It doesn't matter. Drum Corps Planet and RAND and all the other sites are a very small part of the drum corps community.

And you know what they say about opinions.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that where true we'd all still be high-stepping and only changing two or three songs per year.

That'd still be fun after 34 years. <**>

not even going there....

We'd still be high-stepping, eh? Justify your assertion that the point in time you chose would be the prevailing one

Edited by JMS0527

Plus, it's even more clear now the point I was trying to make in starting that thread: The Cadets' show this year is the "gorilla in the room", the show that everybody's talking about. Usually, those shows end up winning gold.

What you're saying (or trying to say) doesn't make much sense to me. You're saying that the shows that win are usually the ones that people have the most extreme opinions on either way. I totally don't see that at all. Where were the extreme opinions about the 2004 Cavaliers? Or the 2003 Blue Devils? In the last ten years (aside from ties for the title, which is a whole other subject altogether), the only winning show whose CONTENT elicited extreme opinions either way was the 2005 Cadets and MAYBE the 2002 Cavaliers...and I don't recall anything all that extreme in '02 until after the final scores were announced. Most people I know pretty much accepted that they were gonna win after burying the competition at the Indy show. But once finals was over, much of the talk was about the 99.15 and the inevitable arrows started getting shot their way.

Extreme opinions...how about 2004 Crown and Boston? How about 1988 Suncoast? How about 1993 Star of Indiana? None of which won a title. Yet these were the poster corps for extreme opinions.

I guess I think the whole "gorilla in the room" thing seems out of place to me. The Cadets are ALWAYS one of the gorillas in the room. They're more or less always in the hunt to finish in the top 3, and they have shown an uncanny knack for eliciting strong reactions from fans ever since they started winning titles again in the early 80's. I don't think it would surprise anyone to see them win this year or elicit strong opinions...same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

We'd still be high-stepping, eh? Justify your assertion that the point in time you chose would be the prevailing one.
work within the parameters that defined the activity in the first place

High stepping was the norm when the activity was created, we all know that. There was some heel rolling...but not very much. The corps where innovative by making the music faster and thus, the only liable way to march was by rolling the heel. So, if the normal selection of music and it's practical method of marching remained the same (if no one wanted to change), we would be the same.---as in high stepping.

Edited by 4MalletJim

rut-roh, you might want to read the other thread I linked above. I wasn't just talking about extremes of opinion, but the amount of discussion a particular show generates. a few years back, it was "frameworks" that everyone was talking about, and deservedly so. an incredible show, more ideas per minute than any other show, and better execution. this year, the cadets' show is generating about 5 times the discussion as the cavaliers' "machine". from what i hear, the cadets' show is the show with the most going on, so much so people simply can't process half of it on the first viewing. excellent. that means the show will live longer than 11 minutes. that means we'll be watching it and talking about it for 11 years, and more. bravo! can't wait to see it, as well as all the other shows at madison.

I was also saying that the extremes of opinion are in and of themselves interesting. they mean that their subject - the show itself - is doing what it should. that is: make people think, love and hate, push the envelope a bit.

isn't that what art does? or what art is supposed to do?

or are we talking about marching band? or fave football teams? if the latter two, let's bash each other to pieces and be fanatics, i.e. GO TEAM! YOU SUCK! if that's all discussion around here means, if we're all still in high school, then too bad for DCP and DCI.

if we're talking about music and visual art performed on what happens to be a football field, let's try to be a bit more civil, and open out minds a bit more.

knowwhatimean?

in other words, and I repeat: remember what the dormouse said...

Plus, it's even more clear now the point I was trying to make in starting that thread: The Cadets' show this year is the "gorilla in the room", the show that everybody's talking about. Usually, those shows end up winning gold.

I have four words for you:

Star of Indiana 93.

rut-roh, you might want to read the other thread I linked above. I wasn't just talking about extremes of opinion, but the amount of discussion a particular show generates. a few years back, it was "frameworks" that everyone was talking about, and deservedly so. an incredible show, more ideas per minute than any other show, and better execution. this year, the cadets' show is generating about 5 times the discussion as the cavaliers' "machine".

You're saying those are the corps that generally win.

And again I say...where was all the volume of discussion about the 2004 Cavaliers? Did it grossly outweigh that of their nearest competitors? I don't recall anything like that. I DO recall an enormous amount of discussion about the 2004 Crown and Boston shows. For obvious reasons. And neither of those corps were anywhere near winning it all.

Or the 2003 Blue Devils? I seem to remember lots of discussion about them and the Cavaliers gunning for a four-peat. No one corps necessarily monopolizing the discussion.

Further, I stick by what I originally said: in the last ten years, the only winning shows that generated the volume (and extreme) discussion you seem to be talking about were the 2005 Cadets, and maybe the 2002 Cavaliers. Other than that, it was all your standard run of the mill discussion of whose hornline is better, who has the best drill, whose gonna win drums, so and so should have beaten so and so, this corps got screwed, that corps got a gift, etc.

Point is, I think reasonable and knowledgable drum corps fans realize that the Cadets are more or less ALWAYS a gorilla in the room.

SO you are mad that DCI is supporting the CadetS? And in turn the whole organizaion , and the board of directors?

many people are.

when i make criticisms, i criticzie the diesginers and the administration.

i know the kids work their ##### off. many kids are there because of the maroon and gold. the chance to win, and i'm cool with that. i know kids who wont go there because of the shows selected, and i'm cool with that too.

the problem is, when the design or admin is bashed, people automatically equate that with trashing the kids, which it isn't, but they have to twist it to defend their corps against some statements that have been proven to be true and hard to hear for the faithful.

Why don't you read my post dude...

here ill quote myself

"I am in no way saying that you cannot dislike a corps, or their program. But stop saying " Singing doesn't belong". Because according to the rules , it does, and it's what the majority of the people want, and the directors. DCI wants to be the LEADING edge in the Marching Arts, and the way things are going, its looking great. If DCI holds back, sticks to its guns, it will FAIL"

"Which is CHANGING. Whether good or bad , it is YOUR opinion."

so you say. some say otherwise, and if you want people to kiss DCI's ### and only post the happy feel good stuff, then realy, you are doing DCI a disservice.

your vision of leading the marching arts is what others view as copying something out there that doesnt draw nearly the rabid fan base DCI does