Why can't we let the Cadets be the Cadets?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again 'bashing the kids"

########.

no one is trashing the kids, they're blasting the designers and leadership.

quit using the kids as a cop out

Maybe you should read again. I said remember saying kids and/or designers. It was one or the other, you pick. The point here is what is wrong with something new or different. Why do you have to complain about what they, the kids and the designers, are creating? If you hate it soooo much, then don't go to the show.

The "for the kids" argument is not a cop out by any means. If you think drum corps exists for you, the fan, you are extrodinarily pretentious.

Really? Then why is DCI charging $35 or more a show?

If you leave, no one will notice. No one will care.

Really? They won't miss my up to $35 (plus souvies) a show?

Maybe you should read again. I said remember saying kids and/or designers. It was one or the other, you pick. The point here is what is wrong with something new or different. Why do you have to complain about what they, the kids and the designers, are creating? If you hate it soooo much, then don't go to the show.

Okay, I'm gonna throw a flag here.

Tell me, what exactly are the kids creating, besides the visions of the DESIGNERS???

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't belong. Don't get those two confused either. There are plenty of shows that I don't like, but my opinion doesn't make them belong any less. Granted thats a bit of apples and oranges, but you get the idea I hope

Funny, I don't remember posting an opinion......

Why do you use 1973 as a historical reference? The original post mentioned change but with emphasis on singing. Need we go back to 1973 to find the absence of singing? I don't think so. We can count the number of years on one hand since singing was introduced, right?

I'm actually more concerned about the rest of your post. Do you believe in living in a democracy? Do you value freedom of speech? What happens to societies (or activities) when we all blindly follow like sheep? Are you saying that the governing body should have their say on everything and that the rest of us -- the ones that buy the tickets -- should just follow along? Do you not believe that changes have been made to the activity (for better or for worse) because of lobbying and political maneuvering? Should not the fans have a role in this process as well? In your point of view, apparently, the fan is wasting their time even registering an opinion.

"Let things just be."

I have to say that yours is one of the more disturbing posts I've seen in this forum.

Couple things here.

I'm speaking in general, Not really one specific corps is in mind. I really didn't care for the usage of amps the cadets did last year with their show, but that being said their show was still the best.

1973 was a random pick with no reasoning behind it.

1. Lobbying and political maneuvering? You’re serious? The point of this post is to tell people to relax and enjoy what is created because you, the "fan", cannot change a show that, YOU haven't created. If you want something from the past then start your own corps that will most likely attract NO ONE. Why? Kids today do not want to travel back in time. DCI is doing what the board of directors want. They are voting on it and choosing what they think will ultimately help keep this activity alive and profitable. Let’s not forget that DCI is still a business and they have bills to pay. If the choices that DCI has made starts to effect the bottom line then perhaps they will not allow amps anymore.

2. "the ones that buy the ticket" For the most part the ones that buy the ticket couldn't give a rats @@@ about singing or no singing. They just want to see something that is new and inspiring. They want to see kids having a great time and cheer on all the corps for giving it their all!

3. The fans are not wasting their time by having an opinion. But answer me this. How has the hatred of amps changed in the last 2 years since its induction? If it’s so awful why haven't the lobbying that you talk about taken effect? Why because the haters are the minority. DCI isn't going to change for a few people. If they give in to one person then they'd have to give in to all. Maybe some Div 1 corps will leave DCI to do as they please. My bet is they won't or most likely they won't be able to stay afloat financially.

4. You want Democracy? You can choose not to go to the show! You can choose not to support the Cadets if you want. That’s okay, they have plenty of support.

I find your ignorance and tolerance of change disturbing.

Edited by Otowndrumin

The point of this post is to tell people to relax and enjoy what is created because you, the "fan", cannot change a show that, YOU haven't created. If you want something from the past then start your own corps that will most likely attract NO ONE. W

Tell DCA that. They seem to be doing alright.

By the way, I'm not an old fogey, and I never marched senior corps. I'm just a DCA fan.

Edited by Tank

Okay, I'm gonna throw a flag here.

Tell me, what exactly are the kids creating, besides the visions of the DESIGNERS???

Your right but.....

..... without the kids the creation can't be complete so I guess your right. I'm mean they aren't an important part in the show.

Charging $35 a show means the point of DCI is for money? I think just about anyone would agree that what DCI is mainly aiming for is the experience of the marching members. And honestly, you wouldn't be missed that much. I'm sure there's someone who will enjoy the show in awe that will show up instead. I know I'd rather see an empty seat at a show than someone who sits on their hands and bashes other corps to the people sitting around them. No matter what, "the kids" deserve your support for all their hard work. I know everyone's targeting the designers, but you can still show your appreciation for the members hard work.