Why can't we let the Cadets be the Cadets?

And honestly, you wouldn't be missed that much. I'm sure there's someone who will enjoy the show in awe that will show up instead.

Where are the hordes of people who are magically going to show up and take the place of those who, having reached their limits, finally decide to stay home? By your logic, there is a surplus audience on hand waiting for admission to drum corps events. I've been to 3 shows so far this season and not one of them played to a sold-out stadium. Fans were not lined up outside the stands hoping a seat opened up. Last night in Columbia, MO there were approximately 4,000 people in a stadium seating about 40,000. So, tell me, where are all these fans that are going to suddenly appear to take the place of others who decide not to attend?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, disagree. Singing, micced or unmicced belongs in drum corps as much as any other legal instrument. Whether you or I like a particlular use..or even if you don't like it at all makes no difference. Those ARE opinions. But, as it is legal...it belongs...fact.

OK, so by your logic, please say "It's a FACT that woodwinds don't belong in drum corps". Say it! SAY IT!!!!!

ok...

This whole deal with saying "mics and amps dont belong" is stupid. It's not illeagle to use them. And all the mic's and amp's pupose is to keep people from asking each other:

"What the crap Are they saying?"

not trying to be revolutionary...

It's simple.

Edited by 4MalletJim

Haven't read through this whole thread, but if I might add my less than two cents:

1) The Cadets have ALWAYS been "different"..... even in the pre-DCI era. Their "peace sign" visual from the late 1960's (which definitely stirred the pot among some of the VFW and American Legion folks during the Vietnam War), their Revolutionary War concept show from 1971, etc. are just some examples. They are no stranger to programming that might be considered a bit, shall we say, "out there." :P

2) Whatever changes the Cadets have pushed for in recent years, hey.....no one had to vote for them if they didn't like the changes. George Hopkins can propose adding circus animals to shows, or whatever, but that doesn't mean any other corps has to go along with the idea.

Fran

This whole deal with saying "mics and amps dont belong" is stupid.

Nice, eloquent point...let's do a 180...

Hey, everybody...the concept of "mics and amps belong" is stupid

And all the mic's and amp's pupose is to keep people from asking each other:

"What the crap Are they saying?"

It's simple

I don't want a speaker being used as a vehicle to answer the question of what the crap they're saying...is that simple enough for you?

Haven't read through this whole thread, but if I might add my less than two cents:

2) Whatever changes the Cadets have pushed for in recent years, hey.....no one had to vote for them if they didn't like the changes. George Hopkins can propose adding circus animals to shows, or whatever, but that doesn't mean any other corps has to go along with the idea.

Fran

Very true, Fran. :)

However, some may argue...and realize I'm just presenting the other side for arguments sake here...that those that are part of the voting process are their own insular cabal of sorts, in the same way that art critics can make or break a piece of public art the normal "on the street" person would pass off as unimpressive (see Andy Rooney's 60 minutes editorial tonight. :P )

That's neither here nor there, though....as I understand it, plans are afoot to change the DCI organizational structure to something that's more inclusive of just 21 points of view.

It's all good, though...as long as the consumer (whether as a member deciding where to spend dollars, or as a fan deciding what to support) has choice.

1) The Cadets have ALWAYS been "different"..... even in the pre-DCI era. Their "peace sign" visual from the late 1960's (which definitely stirred the pot among some of the VFW and American Legion folks during the Vietnam War), their Revolutionary War concept show from 1971, etc. are just some examples. They are no stranger to programming that might be considered a bit, shall we say, "out there." :P

Fran

:huh::tic::laugh::tic::tic::tic::tic: I think this is the first time I've done this.

And let's face it; it is competition that drives this activity, whether we want to admit it or not.

So true :laugh:

Sorry, disagree. Singing, micced or unmicced belongs in drum corps as much as any other legal instrument. Whether you or I like a particlular use..or even if you don't like it at all makes no difference. Those ARE opinions. But, as it is legal...it belongs...fact.

Is there no legislation on your country's books that you think, perhaps, might not belong because you feel it's a bad idea?

Just because something has been designated "legal" doesn't mean it's smart.

Conversely - since woodwinds are not legal they don't belong.

Jim