Why can't the Cadets let drum corps be drum corps?

I have no problem with the Cadets doing whatever they want to do, but why does the entire activity have to follow? What happened to variety?

One rationale for the major rule changes of the last 6 years (any key brass, amps, mic'ed vocals) is that they would open up new creative possibilities. So, where's the creativity? Can anyone honestly say that the 12 finalist corps in 2005 represented a wider range of creative approaches than the 12 finalists in 1980?

Can anyone honestly say that the any rule change in the last 6 years has resulted in an unqualified improvement in the activity? (By unqualified improvement, I mean that the change has been appreciated by fans, alumni, and current members as well as judges, corps directors and Yamaha execs).

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the Cadets doing whatever they want to do, but why does the entire activity have to follow? What happened to variety?

One rationale for the major rule changes of the last 6 years (any key brass, amps, mic'ed vocals) is that they would open up new creative possibilities. So, where's the creativity? Can anyone honestly say that the 12 finalist corps in 2005 represented a wider range of creative approaches than the 12 finalists in 1980?

Can anyone honestly say that the any rule change in the last 6 years has resulted in an unqualified improvement in the activity? (By unqualified improvement, I mean that the change has been appreciated by fans, alumni, and current members as well as judges, corps directors and Yamaha execs).

You contridict yourself in the topic and your first line. The Cadets ARE doing whatever they want to do, blame any corps that decide to follow down that path if you have a problem with variety. However, I don't believe that there are any copycats of the 2005 production out there this year, so I'm not sure how they are dragging the rest of DCI "down" with them.

If from your title you mean that what the Cadets are doing isn't drum corps then this will just be another thread of arguing what is or is not drum corps, in which case we should just keep the discussion in the 123802 other topics that degraded into that debate.

Why can't the Cadets let drum corps be drum corps? What is drum corps? Is it not a bunch of talented musicians working their ##### of all summer, touring the country, creating bonds, entertaining crowds, and having the experience of a lifetime, all while marching and playing music? Isn't amps vs. no amps, marching keyboards vs. grounded pits, thematic programming vs. 'variety show' programming, and G bugles vs. any key horns kinda peripheral at the end of the day?

With an activity that tries to balance tradition with innovation, and appeal to multiple generations with extreme emotional attachment to drum corps, I don't picture a creative direction or rule change ever being universally successful in the eyes of everyone concerned. That's art for you.

The fact of the matter is that the activity has changed drastically every decade of its existance... in retrospect, aren't those changes pretty minor when compared to what has stayed the same? I think so, but again, that's subjective too.

Why can't some drum corps fans just let drum corps be drum corps?

Why can't the Cadets let drum corps be drum corps? What is drum corps? Is it not a bunch of talented musicians working their ##### of all summer, touring the country, creating bonds, entertaining crowds, and having the experience of a lifetime, all while marching and playing music? Isn't amps vs. no amps, marching keyboards vs. grounded pits, thematic programming vs. 'variety show' programming, and G bugles vs. any key horns kinda peripheral at the end of the day?

With an activity that tries to balance tradition with innovation, and appeal to multiple generations with extreme emotional attachment to drum corps, I don't picture a creative direction or rule change ever being universally successful in the eyes of everyone concerned. That's art for you.

The fact of the matter is that the activity has changed drastically every decade of its existance... in retrospect, aren't those changes pretty minor when compared to what has stayed the same? I think so, but again, that's subjective too.

:blink::wall::wall::worthy::worthy::wall::wall::worthy::wall:

In, before the impending implosion.

My hands down vote for post of the year. This should be framed and put up at the top of all the forums. :wall::wall::worthy::wall::wall::blink::wall:

I sometimes wonder if dcp.com had been around in the early 80's if we would have seen the same type of posts from those who marched in the 70's....

"I have no problem with the Cadets doing whatever they want to do, but why does the entire activity have to follow? What happened to variety?"

I just think it is interesting that many people who thought 83, 84 revolutionized things and now don't want them to be different would be in the same position those who truly support the "new" type of shows are in now.

It seems unbelievable to many that there are actually people out there that like amplification just as may have been unbelievable to many that people actually wanted timpani on the sideline...

just my random thought....

What is drum corps?

hmm, lets see......in the 60's: many changes but drum corps remained acoustic. ie: the dynamics remain the same

In the 70's: many changes again, drum corps remained acoustic, ie: the dynamics remain the same

In the 80's: many changes still, drum corps however remains acoustic, ie: dynamics remain the same

Ditto for the 90's.

Even the beginning of the new millenium, its still the same.

Valves change, percussion is added, equipment is grounded, movement is accepted, shows are shortened/lengthened/shortened. All the while, drum corps remains acoustic.

Now amplifiaction and micc'd word is added, the fundamental and dynamics of drum corps have changed, it is not the same.

~G~

Ah, yes...the "when did you stop kicking you puppy" approach.

First, I find it funny, after your spirited diatribe against the legacy fan last year, which ended with you never wanting to post here again, that you're back with the same message. Guess you had more to say after all. :P

Second, do you honestly think anyone in this country rolls over and takes it if they don't like something? People sue all the time over far less than this....I'm actually suprised no one has brought a lawsuit against the Cadets for "destroying drum corps". :P

Long and short of it is...people will #### and moan, whether it's about the Troopers not being like the Cadets, or the Cadets being more like the Troopers.

Control your own destiny, but don't ever presume to try to control others. If people don't like it, they don't like it. You'll hear about it here for certain.

Folks can look down their nose at fans all they want, but the fact remains that it's still a symbiotic relationship. It's all about the "kids" to be sure....but it's not a closed circuit between staff and member.