Most memorable housing site?

I was reading something on another forum that made me remember Odell, IL. It is a tiny town that is as close to Mayberry as I have ever seen in my life. We were housed there for a day or 2 on tour in 1996 when I was with the Golden Lancers. The school didn't have a football field so we rehearsed in the town square with a set of train tracks at the back sideline.

What are some other interesting and unique housing sites people have stayed in?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about housing, but I remember getting off the bus in Streator, IL for our 1st competitive show in 1994 and trying to march in almost shin-high grass! I don't know how the judges could give visual scores that day!

.......ah, fun times! :)

South Beloit HS (aka SoBo), for all the wrong reasons.

Hated that place all 3 years I stayed there.

Edited by Galen

longfellow middle school, lacrosse wisconsin

i was on bus loading crew that summer, loading the drum bus. the driver of the bus was not the greatest, so two of the bays were rippled and stuck shut on the right side of the bus. i was in charge of loading the heavy luggage into the one working bay door...as i set a bag up onto the ledge, it slipped off and swung in my hand, back towards my foot. the external axle connecting the luggage's wheels managed to fit itself nicely between my toenail and my nailbed. the 1600mg of advil i took didn't actually kick in until post show, and the next day i got the whole nail removed at a clinic. my foot later became infected and a trip to another clinic was in need. in january of this year i had that nail permanently removed.

menasha, wi, some tennis club thing

we practiced on the "lawn" of this tennis club thing. the field was littered with broken glass and shards of metal. the mens locker had 4 shower heads, two of them worked, and a hose that most of us used to spray ourselves off.

Bristol, Rhode Island.

We rehearse on a field that touches the pier in a park. Not to mention all the great people and local restaurants.

I don't know about housing, but I remember getting off the bus in Streator, IL for our 1st competitive show in 1994 and trying to march in almost shin-high grass! I don't know how the judges could give visual scores that day!

.......ah, fun times! :)

Actually,I believe the Streator show was the reason we were staying in Odell.

:( well most memorable for me would be hmmmm think it was 1975, Marching with the Bluecoats in Marion for the US Open....they housed us in this small school that had Sulfur water for drinking and showers.....now that alone made for a really strong odor....but mix that with the hog farm across the street and you'll never want to smell that combination again....it was really bad that they had the National Guard bring Water "tanks" out so we could make juice and drinking water....no one would drink the sulfur water....:)

Oh boy... where to start??? So many fabulous places... :blink:

Umm, well...

-somewhere in Mississippi... bats under the stands in the gym we were in ... AND brown water coming out of the showers that tasted salty

if you got it in your mouth... mineral water I was told ... YUCK. :sshh:

-A monestary in Pennsylvania. Spooky and creepy in sort of a religious kind of way.

-St Paul, MN ... a few of the guys in the corps took exception to a lawn statue there. When we pulled out the next am, the face was mysteriously

painted white. Lot's of unexplained laughing as we rolled by that house, until we all saw it... :D

-same situation in Iowa at a pretty nice school, actually ... but as we rolled out the next day we all saw a cow on the farm next door with the word

"MUD" painted on it real big with neon orange spray paint, coincidentally exactly what we used to mark the field. We had a bunch of guys we called

"Mud People" in the corps... ^0^

-Stayed at a little tiny church one time. Had to be a mix up, cause we were a full 128 (at that time) corps, plus staff and crew traveling with us.

We all crammed into this little church's basement (one big room) and were literally sleeping sleeping bag to sleeping bag tight to each other...

male/female corps... not the one pictured in my avatar. (May have been some extra curriculer activities going on that night...ya think?) Smelled

like a gym locker room after that night, too, with only one shower in the whole place that no one could use ... :blink:

Bristol, Rhode Island.

We rehearse on a field that touches the pier in a park. Not to mention all the great people and local restaurants.

OMG i LOVED Bristol, RI!! For one we actually got to stay in some dorms in '04 .. (even though i somehow managed to sleepwalk down two flights of stairs that night... i still dont understand how) Second the parade we did was soo much fun, the crowd was entertaining us and it was downpouring like crazy!! Third we had a free night off to enjoy the town!

Another rehearsal place comes to mind from the past summer.. It was somewhere down in FL and it had rained for like a week straight before we got there.. The whole backfield was a swamp, the water was up to our knees in some spots... that was also the place where on some spots of the field were huge antholes..and not to forget the crazy bull that was a few feet from us.. I will never forget Tims face (guard caption head) when it started making noises and we realized what it was!!

~Amanda~

The Glassmen '04,'05 Age out

Lake Erie Regiment '02,'03

Lake Erie Regiment Winterguard '00-'06 Age out