Most memorable housing site?

Ogden, Utah

It was the main route to DATR in Denver and usually the first place where west coast corps met up with other corps. Huge facuility! I remember six corps staying there. Nice stadium shared by all corps and they had other fields for practicing as well. We (Freelancers) watched BD rehearse "Everybody Loves The Blues" while eating lunch. It was also where I decided to join Vanguard. SCV had an ensemble run through at midnight in 1983, awestruck is an understatement. It cost me 150 push-ups, but that's all we could talk about for some time.

Edited by hsreed

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're all about equally non-memorable by now, but that's because I've been out a while and my brain is officially shrinking now.

The weird one for me was staying at the school on the OTHER side of carlisle, PA. It was identical to the school in carlisle we had stayed in many times before, except it was somewheres else. Weird

Somewhere in deleware... We arrive around 2 or 3 or so in the morning only to discover nobody is there to let us in. Floor time on the parking lot. Good times.

Gowanda... "let's take a mile walk to the tiny stadium even though there's roughly a 1000' x 1000' perfectly flat field with better grass right by the school." Really. A freakin million square feet. Just shy of 23 acres. I guess there were lights at the stadium, but c'mon. ($1 to barry) The 01 crew could have put a guard field, drum field, horn field, pit field, lap running field, and cook staff field on that spot by the time the whole corps got to the stadium.

Reefs-Puffer or Puffer-Reefs... really can't remember which. But how often do you get to paint a show field? End lines directly under the goalposts, center X in line with not only both goal posts but also the front and back stand center railings. I really hope the football folk staked the layout before the paint wore away. It cost us a lot of paint, but that paint bought us use of the lights the next rehearsal day. B) The best part is that we got announced at the show. "special thanks to the bluecoats all-star lining crew for lining our field this evening..." followed by all our names. We even got the announcer to pronounce the name "wlodarczyk"

Home show in massillon... always the best. Air conditioned comfort, turf field, our own parking lot for the food truck (and alums), over-hyped warmup, ice machine, enough shade in the woods for the entire hornline, etc.

Edited by John Schmitt

Bristol, Rhode Island.

We rehearse on a field that touches the pier in a park. Not to mention all the great people and local restaurants.

I've got pictures of that place on my website, in my 1991 Journal. I loved that ocean breeze. An awesome place to rehearse.

I remember Arlington High School, our Finals housing site in 1994 (Boston). It was a huge high school, 3-4 stories I think, and a group of us spent the first night exploring every bit of it we could, trying to find a way up into the "bell tower." We never found it, but we did set off every alarm in the place. I also remember it was right next to an ice cream parlor, and we would head there after every rehearsal.

I have 2 that really stick out.

First was the Great Lakes Naval Reserve Training Center.

We got a whole barracks, bunks to sleep in, hot showers, 3 practice fields and good food.

Doesn't get any better.

On the opposite side we were traveling from somewhere to somewhere one year and stopped for a practice day at the University of West Virginia. We ended up sleeping in the parking lot.

South Beloit HS (aka SoBo), for all the wrong reasons.

Had to be the old high school. The new one is NICE.

1988 - Velvet Knights - a high school in Ankeny Iowa (show site).

The place was designed like a friggin' mall! We couldn't believe it - A/C, carpeting, stairs, indoor vending machines, "luxury" showers, indoor food court, etc. :blink:

Nothing but corn fields all around the school perimeter (and THAT was just weird to us Californians). Phantom Regiment rehearsed at the same school, although I don't know if they actually slept there (but is was sure big enough if they did).

Ahh, good ol' Streater. I've stayed there. Don't remember the high grass though.

Actually, I had rather fond memories of the Elks Club in Streator. A couple of totally irresponsible Black Knight management types (who me!?) decided to "unwind" at a local establishment and catch a Cubs game. Little did we know that it was nickle beer night and that the Cubs would be followed by the White Sox who would be followed by............... (Much) Later that night, said responsible administrators decided to serenade our sleeping minions with "Baby Elephant Walk". I remember something about being shoved into a stuffed Elk's head and left to suffer in the shower b**bs Can you imagine the sound of 5 snare drums standing over a pounding head echoing off the tiles of a shower room at 7:00 AM?

Lots of school stories but 2 that stick out.

Lisbon, Iowa... It was a Star tradition to make a treck there every year with an upper and lower field that were odd and a little town that seemed like something from the Truman show. But most notably was a picture of a famous wrestler Royce Alger. I guess he is the all time career champion for wins in Iowa wrestling (or at least at that time0.

Dallas, TX. Finals week of 1991 we were staying at a college football stadium with most of the corp staying in the locker rooms but there was a group of about 12 of us that stayed in the top level of the pressbox. IT got named the Penthouse and it was a lot of fun. On Finals day as we were loading to leave a few got stuck in the elevator on the way down.

GOOD TIMES!!!

Captain,

I have to agree with you on both points, Lisbon, no matter where I slept, it was always under that light that never shut off!! Dallas, I was fortunate to stay in the Penthouse, "Radio Room". We admired the sets we put down on the turf in tape. We bought them a rug that year.

See you soon,

Alden

hahaha, beat this...

In 2003, Colts had a show in LSU's Tiger Stadium. The night before we had agreed to stay at this school about an hour away. We pull up to it, staff gets out to check the place out...there is no power, no water, and the gym is FULL OF RATS and RAT FECES. :blink:

Needless to say we hightailed it out of there and an hour later found a new school in better condition. We wake up in the morning and the staff alerts us the following for a wakeup call...

"GOOD MORNING COLTS. IT'S (whatever time), PLEASE DO NOT WANDER OUTSIDE OF THE GYMNASIUM/SHOWER AREA. THIS SCHOOL IS BEING WORKED ON BY PRISONERS."