Evansville scores

Spirit was hott tonight as well as Bluecoats. I really enjoyed their shows. Capital Regiment was also very entertaining and performance wise ahead of where they were at this time last year. Memphis Sound looked as though they were having a good time tonight and should be doing well towards the end of the season.

It's exciting for sure, and Spirit probably had a great show.

I do think we need to be careful about assuming placements based on scores from different shows. I realize we say this all the time, but then the scores come out and many get excited, which is understandable. But take a look at the spreads, take a look at the most recent history in head to head matchups. This is what will produce the best and most acccurate results. Spirit just recently was not in the ball park with Phantom, and I would gather from that information that Phantom is still probably 4 or more points up on them.

For whatever reasons, the scores were high last night. Phantom was only .3 down to Bluecoats the last time they met, and so both are probably very close. Bluecoats were down to the Cavaliers by just under 2 points at the last meeting just a few days ago, so even though Blue's latest score is high, I would imagine that the Cavaliers are still close to 2 points above us, and probably close to 2 points above Cadets.

And we must account for Boston, who beat Spirit as well. I am hearing great things about Spirit's show, and I can't wait to see it, but according to the head to head matchups and the spreads, they are not top 6--and they are not over Phantom or Boston. Just being honest.

Jonathan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2. They're CORPS, not teams. You sound like that old lady when DCI braodcast with PBS :worthy:

Cheers, :laugh:

Sean

w/Stp:

What's the difference? Isn't the point of the team is all the members working towards a common goal? It's no differnce than changing the name of two of the brass voicing to copy bands.

Booing shows a lack of or let me restate that shows NO CLASS!!! Definitely a part of Drum Corp that I do not miss and to be honest probably played a contributing part to why the Star of Indiana is no longer in the Drum Corp activity. If someone does not like the placement take it up with the juding community but do not boo the kids.

Sorry that is a sore and sensitive subject for me :(

Nice! I think that's the closest the 'Coats have ever gotten to The Cadets. b**bs

that is the closest since we were .4 behind them in june 1988 somewhere in pennsylvania I believe.

Had this in the other thread. But current rankings as of now -

1 - Blue Devils – 81.300

2 - The Cadets – 79.050

3 - Bluecoats – 78.800

4 - The Cavaliers – 77.950

5 - Santa Clara Vanguard – 76.400

6 - Spirit of JSU - 74.750

7 - Phantom Regiment – 74.550

8 - Madison Scouts – 73.050

9 - Boston Crusaders – 72.350

10 – Blue Knights – 71.700

11 – Carolina Crown – 70.850

12 – Glassmen (In Europe) – 67.300

13 – Colts – 66.850

14 – Capital Regiment – 66.500

15 – Blue Stars – 66.300

16 – Mandarins – 65.750

17 – Pacific Crest – 64.550

18 – Southwind – 63.250

19 – Esperanza – 61.050

20 – Magic of Orlando – 56.700

21 – Pioneer – 55.700

' These rankings can serve as a lesson for us all, that one cannot compare scores from different shows. Nobody here really believes that Spirit is going to beat Phantom Regiment this year. This point we can all agree on, right ?

Well after looking at the recaps from each of these corps last shows It looks like the missing judge actually saved Cadets from getting 2nd place last night.

The Bluecoats, Spirit, and Cap. Regiment all scored .3 less in Visual Performance than Visual Ensemble at their last shows, but the Cadets scored 1.1 less in that caption at their last show. So it looks like the Cadets visual performance is lagging abit behind their ensemble (probably due to the difficulty of the show) but that missing judge may have saved them from losing to the Bluecoats for the first time in their history.

Booing shows a lack of or let me restate that shows NO CLASS!!! Definitely a part of Drum Corp that I do not miss and to be honest probably played a contributing part to why the Star of Indiana is no longer in the Drum Corp activity. If someone does not like the placement take it up with the juding community but do not boo the kids.

Sorry that is a sore and sensitive subject for me :(

I agree with you 100%- Yes...I'm a huge Bluecoats supporter. However, even though I may not find the Cadets' show to be to my liking, it doesn't change the fact that those kids out there bust their butts as much as the next group.

-Just so ya know, Star was always one of my favorites back in the day. I always respected and always will respect the degree of difficulty Star put on the field. (91 mellophones...holy crap!)

-booing corps lowers the activity to be like some drunken idiot sporting event. Now THERE'S a sore subject with me, being a band director. (Only so many times you can endure being called a bandfag or hearing your kids called that.)

Anyway, thank you for being a part of Star of Indiana. I was sad to see them go.

Matt

' These rankings can serve as a lesson for us all, that one cannot compare scores from different shows. Nobody here really believes that Spirit is going to beat Phantom Regiment this year. This point we can all agree on, right ?

Yes you have to factor in relative spreads between corps. I've been running a program since 1990 that takes into account all spreads, and although until corps start to mix a little you can't really consider the west coast corps calculated value yet, but the east and midwest have mixed enough to give a somewhat accurate picture of where corps stand at this time.

Calculated scores using relative spreads.

1 Blue Devils 81.30

2 Cavaliers 79.36

3 Cadets 77.79

4 Bluecoats 77.68

5 Santa Clara 76.40

6 Phantom 76.20

7 Boston 73.85

8 Madison 72.46

9 Crown 72.19

10 Spirit 71.94

11 Blue Knights 71.70

12 Glassmen 71.11

13 Colts 69.29

14 Blue Stars 65.92

15 Mandarins 65.75

16 Cap Reg 64.89

17 Pacific Crest 64.55

18 Southwind 62.05

19 Esperanza 61.05

20 Magic 59.33

21 Pioneer 53.65

22 Crossmen 0.00

23 Cascades 0.00

The booing will happen from time to time. I personally don't care for it, but I don't take offense to it. Most of these fans come to one, maybe two shows each summer. Most of those fans (Evansville) probably only see one show a summer. They are not diehards, they don't follow DCP or Drum Corps World, or DCI's web site, they don't understand the changes in the activity, and frankly could care less where it started (historically) and where it is today. They are there to be entertained and to have a good time for the evening. It's a local event, and for that one night they were both entertained, challenged, excited, confused, and overall just thrilled to see the corps performing for them. But they didn't agree with the scores, so they booed the winner because they thought Bluecoats or Spirit should have won (and really they were booing the judges decisions). No biggy. The corps understand this. The staff and members mostly understand that you can't change this, and I don't think they take any offense to it.