Costs of an amp moratorium

Let's just get hypothetical here. Assume that with all the problems, and all the anxiety, DCI puts a one-year ban on amps in 2007, leaving open the possibility of a 2008 return. What are the costs, and who is harmed by it? I can make a guess, but I feel uneducated about it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't DII/III do exactly this.. took a "wait and see" approach, holding a one year moratorium on amplification before allowing it in their competitions?

Stef

Let's just get hypothetical here. Assume that with all the problems, and all the anxiety, DCI puts a one-year ban on amps in 2007, leaving open the possibility of a 2008 return. What are the costs, and who is harmed by it? I can make a guess, but I feel uneducated about it.

I don't have an answer to your question, but to me another question is posed by your scenario: What kind of progress could be made toward resolving amplification issues in the interim, considering there would probably be no way to "field test" the equipment during such a moratorium? Like drumcat, I'm probably too uneducated about it to venture a guess.

Didn't DII/III do exactly this.. took a "wait and see" approach, holding a one year moratorium on amplification before allowing it in their competitions?

Stef

I don't think so...are you thinking of their hold on multi-key for a year or two when it was aproved for the 2000 season?

No. They had a two-year moratorium for the any-key brass change, but no delay for amps. A couple of II/III corps (Fever and Americanos, for example) used amps in 2004.

I don't think so...are you thinking of their hold on multi-key for a year or two when it was aproved for the 2000 season?

Yes indeed..

see what old age does to you, kiddies?

Stef

Uhhh...who suffers? Why would anyone "suffer" if amps could not be used? How many corps "suffered" from 1972 to 2003...oh yeah, that's right...NO ONE, and at least 100 complete masterpieces of shows came out of that era and hundreds of other superb ones.

<**>

Let's make a list of every beneficial contribution that amps have made, the ones that make fans go, "Oh, if only they had allowed amps in 1992, what a show that would have been!"