The Fall of The Cavaliers

I'm not saying that both parts aren't important. But when you listen to the audio only, you're discounting half the show. And saying that it must stand on it's own visually and musically at the same time doesn't make sense. Do you say that a movie's audio and visual tracks must each stand on their own? Of course not. Why? Because the audio and visual come together to make one product, where the two are inseperable. A drum corps show has both a visual and an audio component. If the result with both combined is an amazing product like they have been putting out for the last six years, why does the music have to stand on its own with no consideration to the visual part?

im not saying it needs to stand on its own like maybe a BD or PR show might..but i am saying that they should make the music less boring, as their balance that is being spoke of is off in my opinion.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that both parts aren't important. But when you listen to the audio only, you're discounting half the show. And saying that it must stand on it's own visually and musically at the same time doesn't make sense. Do you say that a movie's audio and visual tracks must each stand on their own? Of course not. Why? Because the audio and visual come together to make one product, where the two are inseperable. A drum corps show has both a visual and an audio component. If the result with both combined is an amazing product like they have been putting out for the last six years, why does the music have to stand on its own with no consideration to the visual part?

I will listen to a musicals audio tracks on their own. Does that mean it's not better within the context of the visual? Nope, but I have many more opportunities to listen to music than to sit and watch drum corps.

The Cavaliers of 2006 are proving that with a few rings, and a top 2 finish in the last 5 years, it's acceptable to write music that makes no sense. Let's start this journey of poorly styled music in 2002 with everybody's favorite: Frameworks. Obviously this show made sense visually and "rocked everyone's world" but musically, I find myself lost and confused. 2003 saw another visually acceptable show with poor music choices, and I still find myself asking... Why? 2004 will give the "gods of drum corps" a break from criticizm seeing as how it's hard to musically screw up a straight forward concept like James Bond. 2005 saw a dull lifeless show trying desperately to connect with music that makes sense, but doesn't excite the senses. I'm not attacking the Cavaliers visual department, there's no sense in that. What I'm trying to say is that the Cavaliers would be just as good if they just left their horns on the busses.

Final Thoughts: Why build a machine if it's not going to do anything new?

Troll, at least speak the truth or use an "IMO" . 2002 Cavaliers may not have been everyones cup of tea, mine included, but you cant deny it fufilled both the music and visual arenas. 2005 dull and lifeless ?? You are a cavie hater I assume.

Whats happening to this place lately ??

~G~

Let's all keep in mind, we were all "new members" at one time.

That said, my entrance to DCP raised a few eyebrows also, but I learned from it. :)

im not saying it needs to stand on its own like maybe a BD or PR show might..but i am saying that they should make the music less boring, as their balance that is being spoke of is off in my opinion.

That same balance is off for the majority of corps in my view. So many people want the music to be its own enitity, and stand alone, which would make the blance between music and visual something like 80-20 in favor of music. The Cavaliers are about as close as anyone has gotten to a true 50-50 balance between the two, my ideal situation. And boring music is entirely subjective. Like Maedhros, those Cavaliers shows are some of my very favorites, and the music is very exciting for me. It's really hard to argue definitively how boring any piece of music is. For example, I could sit here all day about how Phantom bores the crap out of me, but that really wouldn't do any good. I'm not changing my opinion, and I'm not changing anyone elses. All I'm doing is wasting time. Same with this argument about Cavies music. Neither of us is likely to change our minds, so we should just give it a rest, at least for a few weeks... :P

Troll, at least speak the truth or use an "IMO" . 2002 Cavaliers may not have been everyones cup of tea, mine included, but you cant deny it fufilled both the music and visual arenas. 2005 dull and lifeless ?? You are a cavie hater I assume.

Whats happening to this place lately ??

~G~

Oh the irony

Nope, I'm just someone who thinks he is entitled to his opinion.

There have been much harsher and mean spirited reviews of the Cadets than this and the posters were praised for having opinions. Those who accused those posters of trolling were quickly refered to as borg and dismissed.

Im pretty much the one that uses the term "borg" but, ironically, they arent trolls, just followers of the Cadets......respected, but borg nonetheless. This poster phantom 007 is clearly trolling, must be a slow noght as we all are taking the bait.

~G~

p.s. I never "dismiss" the borg, I love to toy with them and see their tolerance level break !! LOL

That same balance is off for the majority of corps in my view. So many people want the music to be its own enitity, and stand alone, which would make the blance between music and visual something like 80-20 in favor of music. The Cavaliers are about as close as anyone has gotten to a true 50-50 balance between the two, my ideal situation. And boring music is entirely subjective. Like Maedhros, those Cavaliers shows are some of my very favorites, and the music is very exciting for me. It's really hard to argue definitively how boring any piece of music is. For example, I could sit here all day about how Phantom bores the crap out of me, but that really wouldn't do any good. I'm not changing my opinion, and I'm not changing anyone elses. All I'm doing is wasting time. Same with this argument about Cavies music. Neither of us is likely to change our minds, so we should just give it a rest, at least for a few weeks... :P

But this is a discussion board where we discuss opinions. That's what it's for. Arguments are the reason a lot of us are here :P