The Fall of The Cavaliers

Is DCI surviving?

Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that they are finding new fan bases to attract. No because whenever you find yourself attracting new and different fan bases the idiom must find itself adapting to that new fan base. Think of it like this: A really cool band has its roots in touring small clubs in a broken down van and has finally signed that awesome contract. Now they have a 200 date stadium tour, complete with private jets and buses, groupies (not all things are bad about making the big times), and a new platinum selling album. All the old fans are angry because it sounds nothing like the old band they know and love and so the old fan base labels said band as a "sell-out."

See the similarities?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Matt. Now, I get some more of what you're saying, and I understand your take a little better. I'll stipulate that I'm agreeing with a lot of what you posted here (but reserve my right to disagree with some other stuff on closer inspection).

I'm glad my post could be of some help. :)

And of course you have the right to disagree.

The only thing I will quibble with, Matt, is that you deny that music can be boring, unless every single person thinks that it is.

<snip>

If a highly motivated DCI fan (such as I used to be) cannot find something to get fired up about in the activity, does that mean that DCI corps are striving for mass appeal? If the fact that quite a few DCI fans on DCP can agree that Cavies' music just doesn't get them excited, does that mean that Cavies are leaving the masses unsatisfied, especially on CDs?

To the first question, I would say yes, always, even if they aren't always equally succesful in their efforts. To the second question, I would answer a resounding no. Clearly a significant number of fans aren't entertained, including some DCPers. But it seems like at least an equally significant number of fans like what they hear, including other DCPers. We can find both in this very thread. So who should rule the day?

I agree, that a handful of exceptions are not enough to disprove a general rule. However, I can't help but feel that the number of people who enjoy the Cavaliers music is far more than just a handful. I say this because of the people who speak up on these boards, because of the people who I exchange messages with person to person, because of the buddies I have from my high school marching band days who still listen to shows, and because of the people who pack into a stadium to not only watch but listen to what the Cavaliers have to play. You can never please everyone, but I have to think, in the face of all that support, that there has to be something of value in the music, even if it's not your cup of tea.

Edited by Maedhros

The only thing I will quibble with, Matt, is that you deny that music can be boring, unless every single person thinks that it is. That is a very "mathematical" argument (something cannot be true if even only one exception can be found). If DCI corps designers (and those who argue on their behalf) rely upon that standard, then DCI will hobble itself in trying to expand its fan base. Mass appeal, with maximum inclusion, should be the goal.

If a highly motivated DCI fan (such as I used to be) cannot find something to get fired up about in the activity, does that mean that DCI corps are striving for mass appeal? If the fact that quite a few DCI fans on DCP can agree that Cavies' music just doesn't get them excited, does that mean that Cavies are leaving the masses unsatisfied, especially on CDs?

Except A LOT of people find the Cavies shows of 00-06, including the music, VERY entertaining. We just had the argumnet about standstill shows, and one point was very clear: People go to Drum Corps shows to see marching and playing. Some even wanted to get their money back if the corps didn't march. And when the Cavies do their show for real, they get just as much if not more applause than anyone else. The Cavies are doing what they think is right, and a large part, even the mojority, of fans, agree with them. People just gotta face the reality that most other people actually DO find the Cavies interesting. Whenever we vote about shows on here, Cavies 02 wins. And then there are all the HS band kids who are absoltly IN LOVE with Cavies shows.

The Cavaliers have mass appeal, no matter how much some may loathe the fact.

With all due respect, while his last comment about the horns may have been a little over the line, I don't think he is trying to bash any of the members of the Cavaliers. We all realize that the corps members of every corps perform what they are given. When you read these forums you have to understand that 99% of the time nobody is trying to say anything negative about the MEMBERS of a corps, but when performance or design issues are there we're going to talk about them.

People don't HAVE to march to have opinions about drum corps. I had opinions long before I ever marched. That doesn't make my opinion wrong, because opinions aren't right or wrong. I've never played football, but I know a good football team when I see it. Charlie Weis never played college football, but he coaches pretty well it would seem.

I don't care for the current style of the Cavaliers and I honestly don't care what the judges say about it because it's my opinion that I'm worried about, and not the opinion of some guys I've never met. Do I think the Cavaliers deserve to have won the championships they have? Absolutely. Do I enjoy their shows the most for those years? Nope (95 excluded B) ).

Point well taken. I will try to remember this next time I post too quickly. I'm a little touchy when it comes to my son and his group. Thanks again.

Point well taken. I will try to remember this next time I post too quickly. I'm a little touchy when it comes to my son and his group. Thanks again.

No problem, I understand where you are coming from. It's one of the reasons I never told my mom about DCP :)

No problem, I understand where you are coming from. It's one of the reasons I never told my mom about DCP :)

Tee Hee! I will try to remember that!

Neat. I didn.t know we could post notation graphics. Is this done via ETF files, or snapshots to JPG conversion?

Also, first excerpt is Cadets 1997, the Philip Sparke "Year of the Dragon"

Second excerpt is Cadets 1995 show, the opening mellophone line from "The Riveres" by John Williams.

Not sure what the other two are of.

Jonathan

I just used NoteAbilityPro for the Mac, used Shift-Command-4 to save an area of the screen as an image, hit a few keys to upload it to Flickr, and copied the URL. Took but a few minutes!

The last one is Cadets 1999. Amazing show!

Just for the record books, I can sing cavies 00-05 ( not 06 just yet) from start to finish without skipping a beat...

Maybe they arn't easy melodys, but I always catch myself wistling that jazzzy part in 01, or the trumpet feature in 02...

Statements like:

"The Cavaliers of 2006 are proving... it's acceptable to write music that makes no sense."

"Let's start this journey of poorly styled music in 2002..."

"2003 saw another visually acceptable show with poor music choices, and I still find myself asking... Why?"

"2005 saw a dull lifeless show trying desperately to connect with music that makes sense, but doesn't excite the senses."

"..the Cavaliers would be just as good if they just left their horns on the busses."

Forgive me, but I consider that excessive.

Really? You consider that excessive? Soooo sensitive!! They are his opinions. Leave it at that.

I think that around here (whole DCP) too many people post following this untrue equation:

I don't like (X) = (X) sucks

I LOVE Cavaliers shows. They are entertaining to me. And what makes me LOVE theirs shows is that I do not stand-ovate them just following my feelings, but also because they do things in the BEST way (IMO).

of course I jump on my feet and clap when a BD kid screams some double Cs and Ds, making them reach even the last row of seats, of course I like getting my face blowed away when PR pumps up the volume, but...

... when I can see music and hear drill moves... that's it, I'm happy. Cavies bring on the field the best concept of "ensemble music" in the history of drum corps, and I think this is pretty clear... and they combine at best music and drill. I am pretty sure this is what drum corps SHOULD be about (from the odience's point of view): mixing things that you can see with thing that you can hear and give pleasure through eyes and hears.

If I want to hear "popular tunes", I listen to the radio, I go to concerts or to the opera...

but I'm also here to hear different opinions...