Belding, MI Plaza

Adam, your posts re: Rob's posts made me laugh out loud!

That's because you know me, and know the delivery!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison moves up again! Spirit drops back to 71. Thought that 6.5 jump was a bit much.

I still think the Scouts are going to be in the mix for top 5. I downloaded the APD tonight and I REALLY like the music book. The drill, from what I saw on the live stream, is a killer...just very dirty still.

If they can get the guard up to where the brass and drums are, this show could easily break 90 points.

Madison moves up again! Spirit drops back to 71. Thought that 6.5 jump was a bit much.

I still think the Scouts are going to be in the mix for top 5. I downloaded the APD tonight and I REALLY like the music book. The drill, from what I saw on the live stream, is a killer...just very dirty still.

If they can get the guard up to where the brass and drums are, this show could easily break 90 points.

Break 90? I drank the Madison hype koolaid that was given out over the winter and I was "expecting" something more in the 95 point range! Barely busting 90 would be a let down (to me). Come'on Scouts, CRANK IT UP!!!

Way to go Dutch Boy! Nice first outing. Any reviews??????

Dutch Boy- 10 brass players, this was an extremely entertaining show, and they pulled it off very well. If you are remotely familiar with south park, then i recommend you see Dutch Boy somewhere. There were many brass holes, and after the show the announcer said they are looking to fill the holes, and you could march free of charge. Because of all the holes, the show was very incomplete visually, and any forms they were putting on the field couldn't be recognized. The show had great moments that gave the crowd some laughs, as should happen when a corps plays "uncle f###er" or "kyle's mom is a big fat b####". Still a few timing issues during some of the drum breaks, but they quickly worked themselves out.

Capitol Sound- I was saddened to see that Cap Sound is much smaller than they were last year; their battery is 3 bass, 2 snare, 1 tenor. Cool show, music of Danny Elfman. They opened with Beetlejuice. There were lots of timing issues due to the fact that only a few members of the corps play on the beat in that song, and soon the afterbeats started happening on the beat. Like Dutch Boy, they had a few holes that gave them quite a visual disadvantage in my opinion, many forms were unreadable or seemed vastly incomplete. The rest of Cap Sound's show was music from some newer Elfman scores, and therefore pretty immemorable for me, but they pulled off some of the moments quite well. Once they get some timing things taken care of, this show will click and be great, and they will most likely be in contention for finals this year.

Blue Stars- For personal reasons, this was my favorite show of the night. I had seen the clip on dci.org of their opener, and was expecting good things. They still have a few brass holes that are visually annoying; at one point the trumpets and some guard are interacting, and two of the guard are dancing with air. They are a very young corps, maybe half a dozen or more 14 year olds in the horn line. Visually, the show is still dirty, that's okay, it's early in the season, there were a few seconds of phasing somewhere, but it's forgettable in a few seconds, nothing to ruin the show. Musically, a huge leap over last year. You can definitely tell the experience of the music staff just by listening to these guys play. The mello book is amazing. Their ballad is nothing short of beautiful, and if you have ever been a fan of the Blue Stars in the past, you will love the ballad. I can't wait to see where they take this show come finals week.

Pioneer- I caught about a quarter of Pioneer from the side. I was impressed with their show. I have never been a big fan of Pioneer's musical selections, but I enjoyed the music they were playing last night. I didn't see any visual problems from my angle, but I do feel their music could be bigger. They have a great hornline sound, and I was left wanting more of it.

Colts- They jumped from a 66.85 to a 71.75. I watched their rehearsal before the show, but did not catch their show. There are some amazing moments in their music, and the Colts hornline is going to blow people away this year. I don't know if a 4.9 jump was especially appropriate, but I don't think they deserve anything less than what they received last night.

Scouts- All people talk about are their uniforms and their intense drill, that's probably what I'll do too. Uniforms are cool, I really like them. Drill, also really cool, potentially. The drill is killing their sound right now. They did a stand still after the scores were announced, the pieces of my face that fell off are just starting to scab. If, no, when they can get that drill under control then this show will be a work of art and they will definitely be in the top half of finals. Another amazing mello book, in beauty and power alike, there are some screaming mello parts. Like everybody else, I noticed their guard is just not up to the level of the rest of the corps. Blue Stars guard beat them by .3 this time, and Colts by .9. I think a mid season a## kicking will get the guard up a few notches and the score will be in contention for top 5.

Thanks for the great review.

School is just getting wrapped up here in Canada so that may account for some of the holes with Dutch Boy - not sure. I'm looking forward to seeing them at the corps alumni picnic next week.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the great review.

School is just getting wrapped up here in Canada so that may account for some of the holes with Dutch Boy - not sure. I'm looking forward to seeing them at the corps alumni picnic next week.

Cheers

Jim

Just a reminder Corps/ALUMNI picnic, JULY 15th for all you ALUMNI of DUTCH BOY !!!