If DCA were DCI

Thank you Donny :)

The Disney Millenium stuff that young Joe was referring to WAS done in 2000 by the Cadets, but my arrangement was totally different than theirs because I was arranging it for a DCA corps with DCA judges and DCA audiences. I also understood the talent level and time constraints of a DCA corps. Therefore it was NOT as difficult by design and effect points were thought out differently to maximize the size and quality of the group. But it had never been done in DCA, and I thought it could have worked well.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCP post of the year!

lol except spelled better! it was a heat of the moment type thing lol

I don't think the original poster had the idea that corps in DCA should be or are like those in DCI. Just comparable. Like if there was a kid on a little league team that was kind of chubby but could hit homers, he'd be comparable to Babe Ruth. In no way does that mean they dress the same, act the same, or play the same.

No reason to get so worked up about it, boys and girls.

Edited by It's Godzilla!

Except the Skyliners had a better French horn line. ^OO^ ^OO^

Fran

And BAC had 1 (one) better Baritone..... b**bs :blink:

:lol:

Let the blogging commence!! lol

In any case I wouldnt necessarily agree with that JC. Stylistically apart from the odd scottish number and Syne, I think we more closely emulate corps with varied repertoires, maybe a Bluecoats.

Maybe Bandettes? LOL :P

New York Skyliners.......Boston Crusaders.

Thats got my vote, Duke! B)

Nobody in DCI is even close to a DCA corps except the Scouts once in a while. And those years seem to be gone now that Scott Stewart is no longer their director. He is a huge DCA fan.

DCA corps have their own identities, thank you very much. There are no junior corps like the Cabs, Empire, Bush, Bucs, et al.

Certain corps have borrowed arrangements from arrangers that perhaps did them for a junior corps, such as Brigs with Wayne Downey, but those arrangements were different and their treatment of them was as well. Cabs have also used Downey's charts. When Bucs translate a tune that perhaps Phantom or Vanguard have done, it is not the same arrangement at all. It is an arrangement of a composer that translates to their specific style and becomes unique to them by the arranger's understanding that they are arranging for a DCA corps, hopefully. At least the corps that are successful understand the premise of designing for specific judging criteria and audience appeal.

The Disney Millenium stuff that young Joe was referring to WAS done in 2000 by the Cadets, but my arrangement was totally different than theirs because I was arranging it for a DCA corps with DCA judges and DCA audiences. I also understood the talent level and time constraints of a DCA corps. Therefore it was NOT as difficult by design and effect points were thought out differently to maximize the size and quality of the group. But it had never been done in DCA, and I thought it could have worked well.

Keep DCA like it is, with variety of programming and corps developing and maintaining their own identities!!! That is why more and more people are finding DCA as enjoyable...and in most cases, more enjoyable than DCI shows.

Donny

Donny,

You've been my hreo since the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with the Drum Corp All Stars in 1992 (or was it '94?). ####! I hate when these brain/memory cells keep flicking on and off............... :wall:

I don't think the original poster had the idea that corps in DCA should be or are like those in DCI. Just comparable. Like if there was a kid on a little league team that was kind of chubby but could hit homers, he'd be comparable to Babe Ruth. In no way does that mean they dress the same, act the same, or play the same.

No reason to get so worked up about it, boys and girls.

exactly...sorry if i offended anyone