What in the world are the Scouts Playing? And Why?

They will still sound like Madison...just like Vanguard will sound like Vanguard, Blue Devils will sound like Blue Devil, and so on...

Of all the top 12 corps from the 70s that are still around, only Phantom has retained any vestige of their original musical style. BD changed in 94. Cavies around 83, SCV in the 90s. Cadets are continuously changing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

However, there does seem to be a commonality about the Scout's program in this regard, ESPECIALLY among the alumni.

really? the numerous alumni I talk to don't hold that opinion at all. Ya, there are a few that are gonna be resistent to any kind of change (i.e. "ah drum corps was better when I marched in the late 70's" etc.), God knows I was one of them for a time there...however, we have to realize that things change...all things change, and we can either change with them or be left behind. I can live in my "glory days" all I want, but I have to realize that it will never be the same. Over the years the Scouts have done several departures from what would be considered the "true Madison", and I very much expect them to go back to something flashy and jazzy next year. The corps director is an ex-Scout...several staff members are ex-Scouts...you think these guys don't know what the corps is and should be? I see an attempt to make them competitive again...not a departure from their identity.

What in the world are the Scouts playing? cool music.

And why? because it's cool.

I like this track. Still a little raw, but it's early. My only real beef is the double-time beat during The Mission. Sounds a lot better when that drops off later on. I love the Ginastera piece, can't wait to hear how Scouts continue to make it their own.

I agree. It sounds like a cool show to me. I'm finding a lot of stuff to like about it, even in this early season form, and there's very little that I don't like. I don't think it's senseless or confusing or anything. In fact, I'll say that it's more to my liking than last years' program. Or perhaps even the year before. Just dirty at this point.

Worth your $3 (or $2), definitely. B)

As I stated before...when I marched way back in the dark ages!...June scores didn't much matter.

They're playing music. It's the latest thing from Europe.

really????? where can I also find this "music"???? :P

Edited by BigBadMadMan

The corps director is an ex-Scout...several staff members are ex-Scouts...you think these guys don't know what the corps is and should be?

Thanks for pointing that out. That's a thought I've always had as well, whenever this topic comes up.

This post helps to confirm my thoughts about DCP. I find it funny that someone can write a negative and somewhat harsh opinion about a Top 12 corps (which in this case, I agree with) but not get called a troll or a flamer etc unless it has something to do with the Green Machine.