No Cadets APD

Below is an excerpt from George Hopkins' blog posted this afternoon (Thursday 29th). I haven't noticed any references to this yet on the forum. Did anyone that was at the show pick up on this? Sounds huge...

On Wednesday night in Huntington, WV a bizarre series of events caused the percussion section to “come apart at the seams” for more than 30 seconds during the percussion break.

The “breakdown”, according to George Hopkins, “was the worst I have ever witnessed on a drum corps field. At one point, I thought I would have to re-start the corps”.

So what happened …

After the tom feature there is a 4 count hold for applause, after which the red queen says “do they always have to do that”.

The vocal is on count 5. On Tuesday, Marc Sylvester changed it to count 7 and never told anyone.

Now, at the Tuesday night show, with Hopkins at the audio panel, the entrance for the red queen was missed … it never happened.

At rehearsal, when the corps works in ensemble, we always stop following the top feature.

So … no one knew of the change. Until …. The show in Huntington.

With the voice two counts late, and coming in on count seven, the snares, who face backfield, were not sure of the counting. They were expecting to enter on 1, not 3? Meanwhile the keys followed the major and came in on one. The first snare was two counts late with the voice, the second snare tried to rebound, the third followed the first, the fourth did not play etc …

Unfortunately, this is a 100 count phrase so for 100 counts, it was nothing but a jumble. It was impossible to make sense at all of anything being played.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's like saying Stern should resign because NBA refs did a poor job. Are you sure you think that?

Let's put it a bit differently, if an undefeated NFL team continually got the benefit of the doubt on out-of-bounds "completions" from multiple referees, Paul Taglibue would step in to stop it. If he didn't the sports media would be howling for HIS head.

Fouls in the NBA are more common and harder to call. Nonetheless, maybe you could pose your question to Mark Cuban.

So...here is an interesting proposition...

What if a corps were ti PURPOSELY mess up their show in a baaaaad way to see if they were penalized for it? To perhaps expose one of the problems with DCI judging, mainly that very few people believe in "on any given night" any more?

What if Jeff Fiedler were to ask the Cavaliers to tank a show badly...and they still won? And not only won, but either maintained the spread they had been getting on their opponents, or even opened it up (as Cadets did with Regiment despite two different shows where they had an amp malfunction and a huge percussion tear).

I know of no corps who would do such a thing because of the effect it would have on the paying fans on that night, who shell out good money to be entertained...but it makes you think, doesn't it? What if?

I know of no corps who would do such a thing because of the effect it would have on the paying fans on that night, who shell out good money to be entertained...but it makes you think, doesn't it? What if?

That, and because "tanking" a show to prove a point goes against just about everything drum corps stands for.

So...here is an interesting proposition...

What if a corps were ti PURPOSELY mess up their show in a baaaaad way to see if they were penalized for it? To perhaps expose one of the problems with DCI judging, mainly that very few people believe in "on any given night" any more?

What if Jeff Fiedler were to ask the Cavaliers to tank a show badly...and they still won? And not only won, but either maintained the spread they had been getting on their opponents, or even opened it up (as Cadets did with Regiment despite two different shows where they had an amp malfunction and a huge percussion tear).

Perhaps we see a flaw in the build-up system here a bit...I'm certainly not advocating bringing the ticks back, but there's vaildity in your point.

Is there a judging system overhaul/tweak that we can make that can address these issues? Or is it a case of judges becoming too comfortable with a corps and its relative placement?

(edited for spelling)

Edited by bawker

I'd like to point something out to those who are under the impression that malfunctioning amplification has no impact on score.

Am I correct in recalling that amps are judged in the GE Music caption?

If I am, then can someone please explain why, if the show was so disrupted by malfunctioning amps which are "getting a free pass" according to some, did the scores go down in Huntington?

It must have been something else, though. I'm sure the amps were given a free pass last night.

Stef

Missing in your analysis is that the Huntington scores were lower across-the-board than Evansville. In fact the Cadets total dropped 1/10 between the two shows while other corps in both took harder falls (Southwind 1.0, Spirit even worse).

In fact, Cadets were second in GE Music in Evansville (to Bluecoats) but won the caption (Phantom 2nd) in Huntington.

But the amps feel your unconditional love.

Below is an excerpt from George Hopkins' blog posted this afternoon (Thursday 29th). I haven't noticed any references to this yet on the forum. Did anyone that was at the show pick up on this? Sounds huge...

On Wednesday night in Huntington, WV a bizarre series of events caused the percussion section to “come apart at the seams” for more than 30 seconds during the percussion break.

The “breakdown”, according to George Hopkins, “was the worst I have ever witnessed on a drum corps field. At one point, I thought I would have to re-start the corps”.

So what happened …

After the tom feature there is a 4 count hold for applause, after which the red queen says “do they always have to do that”.

The vocal is on count 5. On Tuesday, Marc Sylvester changed it to count 7 and never told anyone.

Now, at the Tuesday night show, with Hopkins at the audio panel, the entrance for the red queen was missed … it never happened.

At rehearsal, when the corps works in ensemble, we always stop following the top feature.

So … no one knew of the change. Until …. The show in Huntington.

With the voice two counts late, and coming in on count seven, the snares, who face backfield, were not sure of the counting. They were expecting to enter on 1, not 3? Meanwhile the keys followed the major and came in on one. The first snare was two counts late with the voice, the second snare tried to rebound, the third followed the first, the fourth did not play etc …

Unfortunately, this is a 100 count phrase so for 100 counts, it was nothing but a jumble. It was impossible to make sense at all of anything being played.

Not sure if anybody responded to this yet, but the above has nothing to do with the Cadets not putting out an APD. There's a whole other thread devoted to this.

Edited by LanceSquire

That, and because "tanking" a show to prove a point goes against just about everything drum corps stands for.

I'm not so sure about that...

If I was absolutely CONVINCED that there was malfeasance in the judging system or the community itself, I would consider sacrificing one show if it meant things could be fixed because of it.

Regardless...I still know of no corps that would do this, so it is a moot point.