Rough couple of days for the Maroon Team

Ahh..good old I-68. That ###### roller coaster of an interstate has destroyed many an engine.

for those of you who dont know, I-68 runs from Morgantown, WV to Fredrick, MD. For a corps caravan, it is a nightmare of a road filled with 6, 8 and 10 mile long steep grades..you are either overheating your engine or burning your brakes! the "dragonfly effect" "dragon" up the hills, and "flying" down the other side!

Yeah? Well try crossing the Continental Divide sometime! The California corps have to do that every friggin' year!

We're not talking "hills" here guys, we're talking 16,000 ft. tall mountains! And we're not talking about 10 mile streches, we're talking about streching the entire state!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like someone is very worried and has to put up an excuse on their web page for almost being beat by bluecoats!!!!

I think it is interesting how he is so quick to point the finger and put the blame on someone. (Mark) There are mistakes every night of the week. Yeah, this was a big one. So you have to justify it on your webpage? Very unprofesional in my eyes. Cadets were given a gift that night. I look forward to them being beat by bluecoats next time.

Bluecoats were not at that show. Get your facts straight before you post!!!

It could be that what they did right was still good enough to win those captions. This is not uncommon. I have seen this kind of thing since the early 80s. There have been many times when corps like Cadets or BD have had off nights, even to the extent of major breakdowns in certain sections, yet they have won those captions and usually the show. They win because they are THAT GOOD.

<snip>

Jonathan

They are? Really? They are so good that they completely bag their feature and almost wreck the show--but it' still just SO good.

I just don't get it.

They are? Really? They are so good that they completely bag their feature and almost wreck the show--but it' still just SO good.

I just don't get it.

Look at their percussion scores as the relate to Regiment and Spirit....I think you'll see that the mess did impact their percussion score.

Yeah? Well try crossing the Continental Divide sometime! The California corps have to do that every friggin' year!

We're not talking "hills" here guys, we're talking 16,000 ft. tall mountains! And we're not talking about 10 mile streches, we're talking about streching the entire state!

We did and lost two buses out there. Rumors say that they were turned into diners. Maybe they are serving Smokey Bones. :P

Ouch! Even the much-malingned Cadets have a bad day once in a while..As a person in the bus business, I can tell you it could have been worse as far as the bus..A hand-grenaded 6v-92 would clear about $15,000!

From YEA:

So what happened …

After the tom feature there is a 4 count hold for applause, after which the red queen says “do they always have to do that”.

The vocal is on count 5. On Tuesday, Marc Sylvester changed it to count 7 and never told anyone.

Now, at the Tuesday night show, with Hopkins at the audio panel, the entrance for the red queen was missed … it never happened.

At rehearsal, when the corps works in ensemble, we always stop following the top feature.

So … no one knew of the change. Until …. The show in Huntington.

With the voice two counts late, and coming in on count seven, the snares, who face backfield, were not sure of the counting. They were expecting to enter on 1, not 3? Meanwhile the keys followed the major and came in on one. The first snare was two counts late with the voice, the second snare tried to rebound, the third followed the first, the fourth did not play etc …

Unfortunately, this is a 100 count phrase so for 100 counts, it was nothing but a jumble. It was impossible to make sense at all of anything being played.

In the post show meeting with the members, Hopkins referred to it as catastrophic while nothing that things happen, it was in the past, and all we could do was learn from this huge error.

The students’ reactions ranged from upset, to anger to confusion. It was indeed, a night to remember.

Interestingly … the corps still was judged to be the victor despite this huge gash.

The percussion field guy heard it … indeed, the corps was almost a point out of first in field percussion.

But other captions did not mention the debacle, whether they were not sure what they witnessed, or, they just did not know what to say about it.

This will be a performance that we talk about for years much like the 1996 performance at Massillon when 30 members of the horn line fell on one move …

Or the 85 finals when one half of the corps entered a count before the other side! Amazing stuff, but kids are kids and live performance is live performance.

It is why we do it.

And why we lose our hair.

The corps is in Westminster on one piece, as of 11:00 am on Thursday.

We have rehearsal from noon to 7 pm and a laundry evening. Friday features rehearsals, a 400 attendee Music is Cool clinic and the YEA! Sponsored Westminster Drum Corps Show.

The thing that concerns me is what he says about Marc never telling anyone about changing it to count 7, if he never told anyone how could they mess it up? :laugh: If he never told anyone how could they rehearse it? ODD...and YET as it's been said already..they still won.. :sshh:

Also I just got this, Hopkins was running sound or was he there at the board with the sound guy? "Now, at the Tuesday night show, with Hopkins at the audio panel". Is this what I'm reading? And this is allowed now due to the rule change? The director at the audio panel?

Boy all the times Zingali used to get yelled at for standing on the sidelines..and now...a director can be at the sound board? Feel free to let me know if I'm reading this wrong.

You mean to tell me cause of 2 counts of not knowing something the drum line messed up or did Hopkins mess up? They have some communication issues obviously.

Edited by Lancerlady

I just don't get it.

YES, THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the recaps. They indicate where the problems occured, but Cadets still won. Why? Because in the eyes of the judges they were better, like they were tonight.

Hey, I am not taking sides here, I am calling it the way it is. I am glad some of you do not like the judging system. I think that is good, and healthy debate on the subject is good for DCI and the corps/fans, but the judges are NOT blind or deaf. They scored the show well and honestly, and that is how the numbers came up.

It seems that the way their show is written, that a mistake can be missed very eassily. One reviewer even commented on how their drumline was "on fire."

As for losing drums, well - no one has touched Regiment yet, so that's not a surprise. The comment about judges not even noticing the trumpet/bari switch doesn't really surprise me either...some of the judges are very "special."

We do get a little hilly here, don't we? B)