Yup, Vanguard's back

Shame there's a small chance of them breaking into the top three, because if any show (beside's Phantom's) deserves to win at finals, it's this one! Remember everything about last year? The immature arrangements, the design flaws, the lack of a ballad, the lack of originality, the lack of innovation, the poor visual program...take the complete opposite of all of those and that's their show this year. If I can get shivers from watching this shoddily made, poor sound quality video, they're doing something right. This is the 1999-2003 Vanguard we all know and love...this show pretty much takes the best parts of 1999, 2000, and 2003 and combines them into one #### of a product. The visual program is classic Vanguard, even throwing in a few signature moves from what I could tell. The music? Amazing. Can't go into much detail after seeing one recording, but this is their best offering since 2000, even better than 2004 in my opinion.

I should really stop making a topic each time I see a corps show for the first time and know it will be great...but I coldn't resist, and Vanguard isn't exactly the most talked about right now on these forums.

Oh, the Vangard yell is in there too...can't wait to yell it at finals.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, they are back! Their show this year is almost an 180 degree turn-around from 2005 in terms of design. Last year was kind of retro. This year it's cutting edge (well, Vanguard style at least :) ).

I also agree that how well they can clean the show (and not just visually) will determine how far they can go. It's entirely up to them and their own self-motivation.

Even though it'll only be in a theater, I'm very much looking forward to The Cadets, The Cavaliers, and Phantom Regiment's shows this year too!

I found the video too. Believe me - it doesn't do the show justice. I also think this is their best show since 2000 (and that's one of my favorite shows ever) - so that's saying a lot. They definitely have a product that can beat anybody - but it all hinges on how well they can clean this puppy up - it's fast and loud, just the way I like it - notes flying all over the place, and bodies following them.

Edited by gellio

I've seen that video and heard the preseason CD, and while I don't know if it's a championship show, it's certainly a new and much more aggressive program for them. It has an energy that you didn't really know they were missing in the last couple of years until you see it.

Mike

It's a fun show, and it's definitely more than 7th place.

They get this cleaned up, they're top 3. Bad thing is, I look at this and think, "This is going to turn out to be one of those 'they'd win if they just had 1 more week to get it clean,'" type of things.

It's a fun show, and it's definitely more than 7th place.

They get this cleaned up, they're top 3. Bad thing is, I look at this and think, "This is going to turn out to be one of those 'they'd win if they just had 1 more week to get it clean,'" type of things.

Quick - somebody call DCI and have championship week moved!!!!!

Here, get a standstill recording of it and listen for yourself:

http://store.scvanguard.org/2006_Moto_Perp...so_P2603C10.cfm

Help the corps get back some of the $$,$$$ they purportedly lost to that bingo worker :(

btw - the jacket cover is a triple rotating cross-through they do in their opener!

Edited by PeeWee

It's a fun show (7th place).

Well, I think it's going to get 5th minimum...depending on whether or not they can beat Phantom. But, they can beat anybody with this show...of course assuming with regards to the Cavies and Cadets - but they could definitely beat BD with this show...but they probably won't - it's much more difficult than BD's.

Edited by gellio

I don't know...I love the show, but I don't see it winning a championship. They're going to have to make a lot of changes, and I think that'll hinder the cleaning process. The hornline, while they sound GREAT standing still and while they have reasonable drill, is quite young and inexperienced by top 3 standards; lots of bad tone and stickouts when the individual demand steps up.

Still, I'm hoping they can prove me wrong. I'll be rooting for them come Nats week!