Allentown, PA SCORES

:wall: I take it you didn't see last year much early season? The show had tons of "tweaking"

I saw them plenty last year. The MAJOR tweaking (the considerable drill/music rewrites, etc) more or less ceased after a certain point in July and it was all about clean clean clean after that, sort of unusual for them, as they normally keep playing around with things late into the season. I see them tweaking a lot more this year, even into very late July and early August. This show has more issues than that one did, IMO. They're even admitting it. Publically and privately.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them plenty last year. The MAJOR tweaking (the considerable drill/music rewrites, etc) more or less ceased after a certain point in July and it was all about clean clean clean after that, sort of unusual for them, as they normally keep playing around with things late into the season. I see them tweaking a lot more this year, even into very late July and early August. This show has more issues than that one did, IMO. They're even admitting it. Publically and privately.

I agree. I believe this show can be fixed. Unplug the vocals, for starters. I don't mean that in a "no amps under any circumstances" kind of way. The vocals in THIS show are just WAY too out of whack and distracting. This corps is too talented to use these kind of goofy gimmicks. Just let them march, play and win a lot!

Edited by Phansouth

Any judge who decides to go his own way will find himself judging pie eating contests somewhere in mid-america

Crown and Boston are definitely evenly matched in my eyes at this point. Crown with a little more room to grow, IMO. And both a notch below Phantom.

I liked Phantom's "sound", though I didn't totally get their show concept. Still, it was done well. Their mellophones are the bomb diggity!

Crossmen...I've been around a long time in this activity, and I was honestly shocked that they scored so low tonight. They had a tear in the opener, and there was plenty of dirt in the show, but there was plenty of dirt in EVERYONE's show tonight. I don't know. If Crown and Boston are a 75, then the Crossmen being 5 points behind them just doesn't register with me at all. Five points?? No way. Two, maybe two and a half at the most, but no way 5. That's just my own personal experience talking.

I really think this show will be one to keep your eye on as the summer goes on, both from a entertainment AND competitive standpoint. I think they've found a very nice mix. Don't write them off.

agreed. came over for this one.

my thoughts on the show.

Cadets-best corps I have seen . If they do not win the corps that does must be a machine , or made an offer they cant refuse.

Phantom -great brass sound. drill a little bunch with all that brass. guard guys need work.

Boston -does everything right. could be a little more exciting.

Crown -not the fan favorite of the last 2 years . bland , flat , nothing to remember. not bad . tech.good.

Crossmen - should catch both cops in front of them. fun , different , good drum corps. please clean.

Southwind - first 2 minutes great concept. then it gets repetitive.

Magic -work work work

Edited by dcifan2002

If the Judges like the Cadets already, but the Corps staff thinks they have major issues and major tweaking that will be done, then it sounds to me like the Cadets will again be the Corps to beat come DCI Finals week. Afterall, last year the Cadets were getting beat by the Cavs throughout most of June and July, but the Cadets then easily blew away the Cavs and all the other competition later in August at Quarters, Semi's, Finals to take the Title.

Edited by X DM

Repete post

Edited by boxingfred

agreed.

my thoughts on the show.

Cadets-best corps I have seen . If they do not win the corps that does must be a machine.

Boston -does everything right. could be a little more exciting

Crown -not the fan favorite of the last 2 years . bland , flat , nothing to remember.

Crossmen - should catch both cops in front of them. fun , different , good drum corps. please clean.

Southwind - first 2 minutes great concept. then it gets repetitive.

Magic -work work work

I get it "Machine" pretty clever.

I was at Westminster and Allentown.

Cadets- I love them! Very exciting The 27 seconds of singing at the begining of the show did bother me at all. It was well staged and it fit the theme of the show. I personally would perfer a mellophone solo but, It's a unique show. I thought the drum solo was way cool. And the comments the actors make between drum sections were a nice touch. The singing during the Ballad was interesting as the drums go flying back field.Again this is a unique show so singing fits the show.I don't like the fact that the corps is not finished the show. But, If you can score an 81 with an unfinished show, your doing something right.I'm of the opinion:If the drums are playing their azzes off. If the horns are clean. If the color guard is performing at a high level. You can sing a little, Yowza a little, New Area Rap a little. Just entertain me!

Boston- In Westminster I was sitting low and I thought boston was boring. In allentown I sat high. and I get it, really nice show The music is growing on me.

Crown- Last year most people loved Crown. I was one of the few who didn't . This year I think they are great. In Westminster Crown had a few amp problems before the show. It took 125 thousand 6 hundred minutes to fix.

But, I loved their music their staging and their guard. I wish them luck.

Crossmen- I am happy with this years addition of Crossmen. Im pulling for them to make finals. I love the raidio station thing they do.

Spirit- I saw them low in Westminster. But I really heard them. What Sound!!!

Magic- Needs work still very dirty. They first half of the show is cleaner than the second half.

Edited by boxingfred