Brief Allentown Impressions

yup - tons of dirt in the guard / but they were mucho superior to PR guard

In terms of what ?? Design ?? Substance ?? execution ?? staging ?? Repetoir and diversity ?? IM curious as to how you decide. I happen to feel that indeed, Cadets a have a more demanding weapons book, but PR's staging and effect are superior. I also feel that the nonsense on the field takes away from the performance level of the Cadets, and yes, PR is too dirty right now.

Whats your take ?

~G~

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another typical cadets borg post, Is it me or is everyone cadet haters. I am constantly perplexed at how the majority of Reviews talk about the singing, the issues with the electronic portions of the show, the clutter on the field ect...

and yet here on this review there is none of that...

I think a better title to the post would have said something like "Why I love the cadets"

At least then we'd know why you're critical of everyone else except the cadets...

Edited by Phantombari1

Yes - I'm the ONLY person with a positive thing to say about the cadets - I mean - besides all the folks I was sitting with last night - ohh, oops, and the guy who just posted in this thread... and oh, oops, the judges, and ohh - the folks I went to Westminster with the night before... etc.

Your review was not the only positive review of The Cadets. You're right. HOWEVER, no one else has yet to go on and on about how this show could win a championship, or how this and that was superior to every other corps. I guess the majority of reviewers must of have just failed to see it, right? :wall:

In terms of what ?? Design ?? Substance ?? execution ?? staging ?? Repetoir and diversity ?? IM curious as to how you decide. I happen to feel that indeed, Cadets a have a more demanding weapons book, but PR's staging and effect are superior. I also feel that the nonsense on the field takes away from the performance level of the Cadets, and yes, PR is too dirty right now.

Whats your take ?

~G~

IMO it isn't close - in terms of design, rep, demand, sculpt work, diversity of releases and catches, body work. I personally thought PR was a mess - and btw the judge agreed.

Another typical cadets borg post, Is it me or is everyone cadet haters. I am constantly perplexed at how the majority of Reviews talk about the singing, the issues with the electronic portions of the show, the clutter on the field ect...

and yet here on this review there is none of that...

I think a better title to the post would have said something like "Why I love the cadets"

At least then we'd know why you're critical of everyone else except the cadets...

I take it (by your member name) you are a member of the PR Borg. I said positive things about every corps - except Phantom who did not impress me much the past two nights - other than their battery which is very good.

Re: the "clutter" on the field, the singing etc I had absolutely no issues with - I thought it added layers to an already dynamically rich program - but I actually judge and appreciate corps based on drums, guard & brass + movement.

The Cadet program works - for me. I really like it much more than 2005 and MUCH MORE than their boring programs of 2001, 2003 & 2004 which IMO where not worthy of the Cadets in terms of design (not the kids performances - the design was repetitive and trite)

Your review was not the only positive review of The Cadets. You're right. HOWEVER, no one else has yet to go on and on about how this show could win a championship, or how this and that was superior to every other corps. I guess the majority of reviewers must of have just failed to see it, right? :wall:

I think it will win this year (based on the corps that I've seen - which don't include BD or Cavaliers) - I base that on the fact that each line is oozing with talent - they are further along this year than last and I believe the finished product will be pretty darn cool.

The Cadet program works - for me. I really like it much more than 2005 and MUCH MORE than their boring programs of 2001, 2003 & 2004 which IMO where not worthy of the Cadets in terms of design (not the kids performances - the design was repetitive and trite)

2003 was far from boring, repetitive or trite IMO. It was actually one of my favorite Cadets shows that I have seen. I would actually prefer to see a show similar to that than 2005. I haven't seen this year's show, so I have no opinion yet. But I didn't like 2005...just not my taste.

See, I found 2001 to be far more entertaining than 2002, 2003 had great interpretation's of Malaguena and Rocky Point, and 2004 is a show that I really get into when I'm drunk (and I mean that as a compliment :))

2003 was about as boring/uninteresting as a Cadets show gets in MY book. Well, 1988 was boring, too...