the 2006 Madison Scout new ending .. YAWN part II

I had no idea my comments about the Scouts show ending and staff would touch off this type of response. It is great to see the passion, but the show ending is still bad. And for those that think I was bashing the corps, not true. My comment was aimed at the staff and staff only. From watching them practice, those kids have amazing talent.

I wrote my initial post after seeing the new ending and because I was not happy with what I saw I may have been unfair to my Brothers. However, the responses to my original post got me thinking.

What are the responsibilities of the staff to the marching members?

What I mean is this: If you grow up a fan of the Madison Scouts, loving what you see on and off the field, and you work hard to become a member, does the staff have a responsibility to the members to design a show that is in some way representative of past show shows?

Example: I would not join the Blue Devils expecting to play a classical music, I would expect to play jazz.

Obviously it is good to change and evolve, but can too much change from one year to the next be unfair to those marching members that were expecting something different?

B Gregg, Madison Scouts 1986-90

I personally haven't seen the show, but i've consistanly enjoyed the Scouts since 1995 when i first saw them and one of my favorite shows is Cossack Brotherhood from 2000, I'm sure i'll enjoy this years as well

however, i never marched, so my opinon isn't really valid ;)

Hey Brian, it’s been a long time! It’s Bill Callender on this end! You're still as passionate about the Scouts as I remember. I was a little disappointed when you went from Euphdaddy to baritone but hey, we all make mistakes… What happened to Booger? Well, I'll save those questions for later.

I know where you’re coming from as far as the “style” of show. I have also noticed this shift in the recipe that makes up the Scouts. There is a base style for each corps but there is something more fundamental about how it is folded into what the corps is about. I guess the example that comes to mind is the Scouts and Colas. Some may have hated the music but you knew it was definitely the Scouts playing it. I think we are also in agreement that it has absolutely nothing to do with the kids. They are incredibly talented and committed Scouts and brothers but just at a different place in time.

As for your question, that’s tough. If it’s too much of a departure, yes. But as stated above, if you have a strong identity, you can make almost anything your own and I think that might be what you’re touching on. There is repertoire and there is identify.

Bill

What I mean is this: If you grow up a fan of the Madison Scouts, loving what you see on and off the field, and you work hard to become a member, does the staff have a responsibility to the members to design a show that is in some way representative of past show shows?

The answer: NO.

If there were some obligation to be "representative" of past shows, we'd be arguing about degrees of representation. For that matter, if "representative" were required, the Scouts would still be wearing the official Boy Scout uniform and finishing near the bottom of the pack.

What I suspect you're really asking (and pardon me for putting words in your mouth) is: Don't the Scouts have an obligation to me and other alums to reconnect us with the pleasures of our past?

The answer to that is similar to the question you posed above. No. The staff is obliged to provide today's Scouts with precisely what you received. But that has nothing to do with the composition of this year's or any year's show. The staff owes the kids a summer of achievement, progress, friendship and memories. The notes, the drill and the alums are necessary, but ultimately, incidental.

HH

The answer: NO.

If there were some obligation to be "representative" of past shows, we'd be arguing about degrees of representation. For that matter, if "representative" were required, the Scouts would still be wearing the official Boy Scout uniform and finishing near the bottom of the pack.

What I suspect you're really asking (and pardon me for putting words in your mouth) is: Don't the Scouts have an obligation to me and other alums to reconnect us with the pleasures of our past?

The answer to that is similar to the question you posed above. No. The staff is obliged to provide today's Scouts with precisely what you received. But that has nothing to do with the composition of this year's or any year's show. The staff owes the kids a summer of achievement, progress, friendship and memories. The notes, the drill and the alums are necessary, but ultimately, incidental.

HH

That is not exactly what I meant, but 3 out of the 5 years I marched we played something from earlier Scout shows.

What I meant was that some corps are know for certain styles. Be it the type of music played or style of drill performed, corps have something about their identity which makes them special. If Phantom Regiment were to play a jazz program, would their fans be happy? Would their members?

I didn't mean a corps needs to rehash it's past to death, but if a member joins a corps because of the types of programs he/she has enjoyed over the years, shouldn't that be the "stlye" of program they get to perform?

I never marched with Scouts nor have I seen them yet in 2006 so I'm not passing judgement -- good or bad -- here. I'd guess the "connection" is a more fundamental one: do they blow the stands down? Do fans leave their seats sticky when they finish watching the show? When I think of Madison, I think of 1988, 1995 etc. Do I want to see a rotating company front every year? Not necessarily. But I want to be hoarse by the end of the show.

Whether we like it or not, most of the "crowd favorite" corps have a sort of trademark. I'm all for pushing the envelope but corps designers should recognize that limits exist, beyond which you risk your fan (and, perhaps, member) base. I don't ever want to see Phantom playing a Duke Ellington show. Or Cadets playing Jethro Tull (oh...never mind.) Let's ask ourselves: If we could listen to advance audio of 2007 shows, do you think you could identify which corps played which shows? I'd bet many fans would hit better than 50%.

I didn't mean a corps needs to rehash it's past to death, but if a member joins a corps because of the types of programs he/she has enjoyed over the years, shouldn't that be the "stlye" of program they get to perform?

Why should anything like that be carved in stone? Personally, I loved Phantom'sshow last year...a departure from their overall past. Look at corps like Crown the past 5 or 6 years...VERY different styles.

And of course...the Cadets have programmed shows all over the place over time.

I don't think the show is what makes the corps....the members and staff are what make the corps what it is...along with alums to keep the history alive.

For Holy Name Shall Always Be,

Mike, Garfield 70-72

The only negative thing that I can say about the Scout show this year is, WHERE ARE THE CYMBALS, I don't want fake pit cymbals. Scouts have been known for some great cymbal lines as long as I can remember and now they are gone, I guess GE didn't amount to much.....

The staff owe the members nothing, but the staff owes the Board of Directors a winning corps. The members can take it or leave it.

A winning corps will allow the organization to continue, making it more attractive for recruitment and raising.

If the members don't like the program, I'm sure there are hundreds more ready to audition for that spot.