Rockford, Illinois- Show of Shows Scores

Waitaminute..... You AREN'T all farmers????? What else can folks in the Midwest DO?

Our cousins? :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, probably. So the real battle was for 2nd. That's where the home field advantage really came into play.

Speaking of home field advantage, I can't help but notice the crowd response for the home team was..."different" in Rockford than it is in Greater Chicago for a Cavaliers home show. The Cavaliers always get cheered loudly, but something about the Phantom response was just different, like it felt more genuine and heartfelt. Was it because a Cavaliers victory is virtually always a foregone conclusion, whereas with Phantom it was more like "hey, maybejustmaaaaaaaaaaybe we'll beat the Cadets" so there was an underdog aspect to it? At any rate, it was really special and unique.

There's no such thing as home field advantage in drum corps. Don't be surprised if Phantom beats the Cadets from here on out. Don't be surprised if the Cadets beat Phantom from here on out. It has nothing to do with home field advantage and all to do with one corps being better than another on that night.

Our cousins? :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

OH NO YOU DI'INT!!

Yeah...it's not directed at any crowd from any region in particular...it's more aimed at stupid individuals than crowds (midwestern or otherwise). I just imagine some fat dude with his hairy stomach sticking out from under his chili stained wife beater yelling stupid crap at corps he hates as he spills his beer on the lady in front of him.

Where can you get beer at a drum corps show? I know Regiment has the beer tent but you're not allowed into the stands with it. There may be a road trip involved next year if beer is allowed somewhere.

There's no such thing as home field advantage in drum corps. Don't be surprised if Phantom beats the Cadets from here on out. Don't be surprised if the Cadets beat Phantom from here on out. It has nothing to do with home field advantage and all to do with one corps being better than another on that night.

Home field can be a disadvantage if the staff lets the corps get into "the wonderful world of over-hype" as our caption head Kevin Lower "KEEB!" called it a couple of years back. Properly managed though, it can help.

On Crossmen:

Three seconds of "My Humps" in a DCI program are still three too many.

The whole "Illinois beats Wisconsin!!1" thing is corny. Local touches generally are, see last year's Blue Devils disaster where one couple is always from the host city.

All in all, the narration didn't need to be there, it distracts you from the fact that the Crossmen are pretty darn good. The Cadets had their fingerprints all over this show.

Glad you were as excited about the Cadets 3rd place finish as we all were, though. That needs to go down in history.

I believe most dc fans might agree that a corps' full production of the hip-hop tune "My Humps" isn't desired. But a few seconds (8? 10?) of it in a radio sequence fits perfectly. OK, you don't agree. Well then, please tell us Studio Tan WHICH hip-hop tune should they have used instead? Or, do you feel that they shouldn't pick ANY hip-hop tune? (NO hip-hop and amps in drum corps?) Hey, lighten up - it's a spoof: it's FUNNY. Most audiences really laugh; apparently you don't.

I am very happy for the Crossmen kids because they have a worthwhile, competitive package this year; and the audiences truly ENJOY them. (Metheny opener; ELP closer). Their Radio component in the middle of their show is, and will continue to be, one of the more memorable and enjoyable productions on the field this year.

As you may've heard, they simulate a driver switching around to various radio stations while driving. On these different stations we hear them play pop (Sweet Caroline), classical (The Marriage of Figaro), jazz (Take Five....but ONLY five notes of it; as they didn't secure the rights to do more of it), hip-hop (My Humps), hispanic (into Caribe, the percussion feature), then smooth jazz (into Linda Eder's If I Had My Way). In between these varied snippets we hear the amplified narration of DJs, weather forecasters, sports announcers, a traffic reporter in a helicopter, etc. It is ALL very appropriate to the presentation; and extremely well-received by the audiences. The DJs connect the musical excerpts. Congrats to staff; great programming.

"The whole "Illinois beats Wisconsin!!1" thing is corny. Local touches generally are, see last year's Blue Devils disaster where one couple is always from the host city."

I disagree that the football thing is corny. As the football score is announced by the sports announcer, Crossmen quickly form a parade corps and march, big-ten style w/body sway, playing On Wisconsin. It is a hoot; MOST people (not you?) smile and laugh. IMO your coment "corny...local touches usually are" is wrong. They change the football scores to relate to the areas where they are performing; they also pick the nearest interstate highway when giving the traffic conditions. Is that corny and unacceptable to you too? Why don't you just tell them which interstate highway you prefer to hear announced?

"All in all, the narration didn't need to be there, it distracts you from the fact that the Crossmen are pretty darn good. The Cadets had their fingerprints all over this show."

WRONG! The narration DOES need to be there. It isn't ancillary; it's INTEGRAL. Without it, many in the audience would not successfully understand why the Crossmen put these tunes together. Have you ever tried to do humor/comedy in a drum corps show? If you have, then you know that it is VERY difficult to achieve. I commend the creativity and talent of this year's Crossmen staff for successfully bringing this worthwhile production to us.

Jim

ps Comparing local college football scores in Crossmen to BD's hometown dance couple is an inaccurate analogy. Nothing the BD YOWSA narrator said last year was going to save that show. The hometown dance couple reference didn't work because the BD show didn't work. The Crossmen production DOES work, and the local ball score simply contributes to it. Thank you Crossmen; memorable productions (not obscure, unknown, or invented music) is what brings drum corps fans back again. And you do it in a very classy way, without alienating those fans who dislike voice amplification. Very Smart![/[/color]

I also agree that there is such thing as home-field advantage as far as the corps performance level goes. It can also have the opposite effect if there corps is over-hyped and can't control their energy as Kushankusho pointed out.

On this night though, having seen Phantom already this season, I can say that they are good, very good. As are the Cadets. I'm sure these corps will play this back and forth game all summer now.

I believe most dc fans might agree that a corps' full production of the hip-hop tune "My Humps" isn't desired. But a few seconds (8? 10?) of it in a radio sequence fits perfectly. OK, you don't agree. Well then, please tell us Studio Tan WHICH hip-hop tune should they have used instead? Or, do you feel that they shouldn't pick ANY hip-hop tune? (NO hip-hop and amps in drum corps?) Hey, lighten up - it's a spoof: it's FUNNY. Most audiences really laugh; apparently you don't.

I am very happy for the Crossmen kids because they have a worthwhile, competitive package this year; and the audiences truly ENJOY them. (Metheny opener; ELP closer). Their Radio component in the middle of their show is, and will continue to be, one of the more memorable and enjoyable productions on the field this year.

As you may've heard, they simulate a driver switching around to various radio stations while driving. On these different stations we hear them play pop (Sweet Caroline), classical (The Marriage of Figaro), jazz (Take Five....but ONLY five notes of it; as they didn't secure the rights to do more of it), hip-hop (My Humps), hispanic (into Caribe, the percussion feature), then smooth jazz (into Linda Eder's If I Had My Way). In between these varied snippets we hear the amplified narration of DJs, weather forecasters, sports announcers, a traffic reporter in a helicopter, etc. It is ALL very appropriate to the presentation; and extremely well-received by the audiences. The DJs connect the musical excerpts. Congrats to staff; great programming.

"The whole "Illinois beats Wisconsin!!1" thing is corny. Local touches generally are, see last year's Blue Devils disaster where one couple is always from the host city."

I disagree that the football thing is corny. As the football score is announced by the sports announcer, Crossmen quickly form a parade corps and march, big-ten style w/body sway, playing On Wisconsin. It is a hoot; MOST people (not you?) smile and laugh. IMO your coment "corny...local touches usually are" is wrong. They change the football scores to relate to the areas where they are performing; they also pick the nearest interstate highway when giving the traffic conditions. Is that corny and unacceptable to you too? Why don't you just tell them which interstate highway you prefer to hear announced?

"All in all, the narration didn't need to be there, it distracts you from the fact that the Crossmen are pretty darn good. The Cadets had their fingerprints all over this show."

WRONG! The narration DOES need to be there. It isn't ancillary; it's INTEGRAL. Without it, many in the audience would not successfully understand why the Crossmen put these tunes together. Have you ever tried to do humor/comedy in a drum corps show? If you have, then you know that it is VERY difficult to achieve. I commend the creativity and talent of this year's Crossmen staff for successfully bringing this worthwhile production to us.

Jim

ps Comparing local college football scores in Crossmen to BD's hometown dance couple is an inaccurate analogy. Nothing the BD YOWSA narrator said last year was going to save that show. The hometown dance couple reference didn't work because the BD show didn't work. The Crossmen production DOES work, and the local ball score simply contributes to it. Thank you Crossmen; memorable productions (not obscure, unknown, or invented music) is what brings drum corps fans back again. And you do it in a very classy way, without alienating those fans who dislike voice amplification. Very Smart![/[/color]

Blah, blah, blah...vocals are corny regardless of how they're used.

The Rockford crowd is very honest - you really have to work to get a standing-O there, because it tends to be a more educated crowd than many of the other bando filled shows. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Cadets got a luke-warm reception from a pretty conservative crowd.

[/quote

I wonder what response the Cadets will get at Allentown then...Very educated drum corps fans I would say..

Do the Crossmen change the schools based on where they are at? I thought I remembered them saying Wisconsin over Ohio St in a video clip I saw online.

I heard they change the weather report and the traffic reports as they progress through different states also.