Rockford, Illinois- Show of Shows Scores

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, for starters, I know the guy who shouted at Cadets. Don't approve of what he did. I'd also like to point out that people are getting a false impression of the crowd last night. It was no more bias than any other home show. The inappropriate "Terrible Ending" remark is a lone remark, not one of many.

About Cadets, I certainly appreciate that they are trying to be innovative and bring new things to the activity. I think last years show did that. But when I watch this show I wonder if its just being as different as possible for the sake of being different. It's not the singing. It's not the strange uniform change. What bugs me is that the whole package together makes no real statement other than "Look how weird we are." That's my opinion. Take it or leave it. Best of luck to the corps.

I liked BD a lot more than when I saw them in Dubuque. I like what they do visually, not 100% a fan of the music yet. My fav part is when they make those little ensembles one by one.

Now, I'm horribly bias about PR, so I'm not even gonna try to be objective. It was awesome. Ave Maria gave me so many chills. The best thing was the encore concert. And I'd like to point out that the FULL ensemble played the closer from 1989. That's a lot of rehearsal time NOT spent on the show. It's one of the things I love about Regiment: Intergrity as musicians.

The Rockford crowd is very honest - you really have to work to get a standing-O there, because it tends to be a more educated crowd than many of the other bando filled shows. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Cadets got a luke-warm reception from a pretty conservative crowd.

The Rockford crowd is very honest - you really have to work to get a standing-O there, because it tends to be a more educated crowd than many of the other bando filled shows. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Cadets got a luke-warm reception from a pretty conservative crowd.

Thank you. That's a great assessment. People are painting the Rockford fans as like these raving lunatics who hate everyone that isn't in white and black, or some equivalent to the Veterans Stadium mutants, and that's not fair. If there's any place where Fun With Doors will go over like a lead balloon, it'd be in front of avid Phantom Regiment fans. And like I said, the Blue Devils were applauded for their show, so it's not total bias.

Hot Dog Eaters is a euphimism we used for the stupid bubbas in the audience who know very little about music and a whole lot about being ingnorant and rude.

Hey now, make no mistaking: Chicagoans DO love their hot dogs. They are a regular part of my city diet (that and cheap beer)... AND I have a degree in music.

hotdog.jpg

YEAH!

Edited by midwesternlull

Rockford knows its drum corps and rock and roll mind you. My father saw Styx at Boylan High some 35 years ago when Tommy Johnston had just joined the group.

And like I said, the Blue Devils were applauded for their show, so it's not total bias.

Amen. I don't think anyone in the stands truely believe that PR should have beaten BD. BD was good and overall everyone applauded appropriately. No midwest bias there.

Rockford knows its drum corps and rock and roll mind you. My father saw Styx at Boylan High some 35 years ago when Tommy Johnston had just joined the group.

####, OK, I'll admit it. I saw Styx at my high school (Gordon Tech, in Chicago) in 1979. Just before they hit it big. I can truely say "I knew them when..."

Edited by dc oldtimer