What does a person auditioning for a corps

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts have a 70% Vet return rate this year

Love to hear that. That could explain the best sound I have ever heard from the Colts this year. Volume with quality. Here's hoping for a return to finals this year. With the well designed program this year, I think it is a definite possibility.

One thing that I have always wondered as well. If Pioneer, and Colts, and other groups that lose probably 10% of the corps each year to a better placing corps like Vanguard, Cavies, etc.

Back when I marched, Bluecoats might have been classified as one of those groups but it didn't seem like there were too many members that went on to other corps. I think that (hopefully) more often than not, you become loyal to your corps and are more likely to leave the activity than go to another group. I can only think of a couple of cases where members went over to BD and Cadets for their age out, etc.

I think that div. II/III can be another story because kids want a taste of division I - and rightfully so. I marched one year of div. III when I was 13-14. I had no idea what I was doing then and moved onto div. I once I had a handle on things.

Woa, there.

"Corps-hopping" is not an evil thing, and it's up to the individual to decide if they want to stay or change corps affilation (between seasons, of course). Do not try to assign your "morality" as a cover-up for your corps being one that people left.

I mean this to say that some people have the mind set of 'I'm good, I'm gettng better because of the experience and teachings I'm getting here so next year I'm going to another corps where I can be more challenged and achieve higher scores - I'm all about 'me', not 'us'"

Not that that's a bad thing, just the way some of us are programmed.

The other side of that coin that I was pointing out are the people who decide the friends they make and the skills they aquire at one corps are worth sticking with and reinvesting themselves to make (hopefully) that corps better next year instead of looking somewhere else.

I'd rather keep working on and improving my small garden to make it nicer than go across the street to plant something in my neighbor's garden just because it's already bigger and nicer.

Emily Tannert (I believe most of us have read her articles on DCI), had a very good point. DCI has no database during the audition process, and some kids don't make the final cut not because they don't have the talent, but because there simply isn't enough room. When there's some DI corps having 400-500 kids showing up on their doorstep for auditions, and they only can take 135 plus maybe a few alternates, the mathimatical laws of probability are that there's going to be some talented kids slipping through the cracks. Now if they're coming from DII or III, they'll probably have a good idea of what to do next, but if they're bandos coming directly to Drum Corps, they might be both clueless and discouraged. To me, a good solid database, accessible only to candidates, directors and instructors from all the corps, would go far in solving that problem for matching talented kids with other corps who are looking for them.

If anyone askes you how long you've been in Drum Corps, just tell them what the plebes at Annaplolis have to tell the upperclassmen :

"Sir, all me bloomin' life!

My mother was a mermaid, my father was King Neptune!

I was born on the crest of a wave, and rocked in the cradle of the deep!

The hair on me head is made of hemp!

Every tooth in me mouth is a marlin spike!

And when I spits, I spits tar!

I's hard, I is, I am, I are!

"Sir, all me bloomin' life!

My mother was a mermaid, my father was King Neptune!

I was born on the crest of a wave, and rocked in the cradle of the deep!

The hair on me head is made of hemp!

Every tooth in me mouth is a marlin spike!

And when I spits, I spits tar!

I's hard, I is, I am, I are!

wow :beer:

wow :beer:

:) Ha Hee. My point was that if the kids are auditioning, they have to walk in with confidence. If they feel intimidated (especially if they've never done it before) they'll probably mess it up. Better to go in with an "all to wall" attitude and let the chips fall where they may. But that's just me.

You do not need to tell the corps what your intentions are. You also have no need to tell a corps that you got "cut" from another corps. That is really none of their business

March wherever you want. Change corps as often or a little as you desire. Ultimately it is you that has to do what is best for you.

As long as you haven't been accepted by another corps prior to trying out for another, I'd agree!

HOWEVER

I remember in my 17 years with the Scouts, it seemed like every year there was always some clown that just wanted to prove to himself that he could make the corps by auditioning-then quitting after making the line... As both a member and a staff member, it's a waste of time when people do that...

Another thread on here is talking about how members of Cavies got cut and are marching Phantom this year for experience. Corps like Pioneer and Colts lose large numbers of members every year to other corps.

Thoughts?

Not to nitpick here, but I resent the Colts being thrown into conversation with the group of corps losing members. This years group had an all time record retention rate.

You really only need to be able to do three things at an audition - other than display some moderate to good marching/tapping/buzzing/spinning skills:

1. Listen

2. Learn

3. Show that you can do #1 & #2

Oh, and NEVER, EVER cut yourself. Keep showing up to camps until you hear otherwise from the staff.

Edited by oswald