What does a person auditioning for a corps

Another thread on here is talking about how members of Cavies got cut and are marching Phantom this year for experience. Corps like Pioneer and Colts lose large numbers of members every year to other corps.

My question is this. If you are going to audition for a corps(whether you have been cut from another corps already, or are just using them to add to your drum corps resume) should you be obligated to let the corps know you are going to be trying out for another corps the next year? And should you be obligated to let them know you have already been cut from another corps?

And if you did this, would the corps even consider letting you march for that year? Or would they have a philosophy of, maybe if they march here for a year, they will consider this their family and stick around awhile?

One thing that I have always wondered as well. If Pioneer, and Colts, and other groups that lose probably 10% of the corps each year to a better placing corps like Vanguard, Cavies, etc. If those members were to stay with the corps, and you have 50% of the members with 4-5 years experience, wouldn't that probably be boosting the performance level of that corps that much higher. If these kids have the talent to go to SCV, BD, Cavies, and Cadets, then that is quite a loss to the lower placing corps. You have to wonder if no one left corps like the Colts, could they possibly be gunning for a top 6 position at some point? If no one left Pioneer, would they possibly be gunning for a top 12 finish for the first time in their history?

Thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have never auditioned for corps but I will give you my opinions on some the subjects you talk about.

And should you be obligated to let them know you have already been cut from another corps?

And if you did this, would the corps even consider letting you march for that year?

On this I dont believe they shouldnt consider you a canditate, I mean some corps judge you differently, they want talent maybe thats already there while perhaps another corps wants the best potential they can find. The corps wouldnt know why they cut you so why should they automatically throw you out, thats very close minded on their part.

If these kids have the talent to go to SCV, BD, Cavies, and Cadets, then that is quite a loss to the lower placing corps.

I believe once a corps has a well established and successful program the members start coming to them, the ones that already have all the talent, they want to be in the most successful drum corps. Its kind of weird though because it poses a disadvantage to corps like the Pioneers, yet there was a point in time where SCV, BD, Cavies where all at that point at one time. Location could have tons to do with it as well, like California has so many great musicians, and talent, as well as staff, and because they are there they go into SCV and BD, etc. May not be the situation for all successful drum corps, but it certainly plays a part with some of them.

You have to wonder if no one left corps like the Colts, could they possibly be gunning for a top 6 position at some point? If no one left Pioneer, would they possibly be gunning for a top 12 finish for the first time in their history?

Ok well it does help if there are alot of old people in anything that requires teamwork, because then you are familiar with people and may beable to work better with them. However the staff plays a good part as well, the Colts would need a fantastic show to get them to that top 6th placement, the same with Pioneers. Look at the Cascades this year. Of course I am going purely on what I have heard but in 2002 they made finals, then staff changes started to happen, and now they scored a 61.950. Everybody who I have seen a review from said it was their show design, the stuff that the performers cant control.

Edited by Showjumper101

Individuals have different sets or core values. That will determine whether they want to 'corps hop' or not.

I say a corps should not judge a person on what they intend to do later as long as they can get a commitment early in the season so they don't leave in the summer because a spot opened somewhere else like what happened to us when I marched with the Railmen in the late '80s.

To answer the other part of the question - yes, any corps would improve if the growing and talented membership would stay with their corps through age-out. At that point, a corps would gain recognition at least and then be able to replace membership lost through age-out attrition.

Also factor in the convience thing. If I could have, I would have stayed with the same corps for my entire DCI career. Now being with DCA, I don't intend to jump around at all unless problems arrise from relocations or extremely poor management.

Ok well it does help if there are alot of old people in anything that requires teamwork, because then you are familiar with people and may beable to work better with them. However the staff plays a good part as well, the Colts would need a fantastic show to get them to that top 6th placement, the same with Pioneers. Look at the Cascades this year. Of course I am going purely on what I have heard but in 2002 they made finals, then staff changes started to happen, and now they scored a 61.950. Everybody who I have seen a review from said it was their show design, the stuff that the performers cant control.

I would have to say that more returning talent does probably give them an advantage towards taking the next step. As posted above, staff is also very important. When it comes to drill design though, does the membership affect the drill design?

Does a corps like Colts, Pioneer, Troopers, etc talk to the design staff and say, 85% of our 135 kids are rookies, so make the drill a little easier?

I have seen it posted on these boards that membership retention in corps like SCV, CAdets, Cavies, and BD is usually between 75-80% So when you start early season rehearsals, you have close to 90 members with experience to help along the newbies. So not only do you have great staff, but that many members to really help out on the field. That is 2 members with experience in that corps, to 1 that does not.

When you take the other side, where Colts and Pioneer come in, and you only have 40-50% retention, that is one on one with vets and rookies.

So if you want to look at it in another light, it is almost like the top 4 corps have more staff. They not only have a great paid staff, but they also have 2 experience people on the field to help out every new member. Nice odds if you ask me.

So if you kept membership retention in the lower placing corps, and had the staff and drill design team adjust to this, I think a top 5-6 place could be possible for corps like Colts, and Pioneer could be in the mix for top 17/top 12 over the years. I saw Colts last week, and was very impressed. I mentioned this at their booth, and the lady said they had alot of returning members this year, and I had heard they had a very young membership last year. And when you look at the quality of Colt Cadets this year, if membership retention stays high, and alot of the Cadets move up to the Colts, and drill design is increased, I think a top 6 finish is not far from being a reality.

I saw Colts last week, and was very impressed. I mentioned this at their booth, and the lady said they had alot of returning members this year, and I had heard they had a very young membership last year. And when you look at the quality of Colt Cadets this year, if membership retention stays high, and alot of the Cadets move up to the Colts, and drill design is increased, I think a top 6 finish is not far from being a reality.

And THAT is what can help the Colts retain membership. If these kids come up through a feeder system, I would imagine their dream is to play with their hometown Colts. I suppose this can also have the opposite effect of having kids train early, become very good, and wanting to try their hand with a "Top 3" corps, but I am betting with a great "cadet" corps like the Colts Cadets, most of those kids will want to play with the Colts. The Colts have been very solid for years, and it is not entirely out of the question that they are very close to top 10.

Do the Troopers have a "cadet" corps?

Individuals have different sets or core values. That will determine whether they want to 'corps hop' or not.

Woa, there.

"Corps-hopping" is not an evil thing, and it's up to the individual to decide if they want to stay or change corps affilation (between seasons, of course). Do not try to assign your "morality" as a cover-up for your corps being one that people left.

A corps is different every year. It is up to the individual as to whether or not they would march in Regiment one year then move to Cavaliers the next. However, that one year may change their mind and you could find that member aging-out of the Regiment some years later. You never know where you'll end up in life, that's what makes this whole thing fun.

Do the Troopers have a "cadet" corps?

Yes, they just created the Cadet corps again this year. They are doing a few performances throughout Wyoming.

I believe you might be making this more complicated than it is, although I could be wrong.

Some people need or want to stay in a Division II or III corps. That's what they love. They could make Division I more in many cases, however we do have members on DCP who stay with say BDBs corps because it suits their needs or they're friends aren't moving to Division I or for whatever reason (so many variables).

I don't believe you have to tell anyone where you've marched or tried out unless you want to! Many years ago you needed a release to change corps and sometimes had to sit out a year if it wasn't done by a certain date.

Also, there are people that make a top 12 corps or championship status on their first try. Not everyone needs or has to have marched elsewhere, believe it or not! There are some prodigy out there!

You do not need to tell the corps what your intentions are. You also have no need to tell a corps that you got "cut" from another corps. That is really none of their business

March wherever you want. Change corps as often or a little as you desire. Ultimately it is you that has to do what is best for you.