Drum corps fads that need to stop

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fads that need to go:

Corps staff members who all dress alike. Typically some sort of short sleeve button down shirt usually Hawaiian in nature. Short pants that have the pockets on the legs, and some sort of sandal for footwear. They will also have a laynard that says dci.org, Dynasty or Vic Firth around their neck.

Corps members who show off their feet tan lines as a sense of pride. Yes I know you're proud to be in drum corps, but I don't want to see your pasty ghostly white looking feet.

Keep in mind this is only being said tongue-in-cheek!

tempos under 180 bpm

Ideas that have run their course:

1. The solo guard dancer that runs through the drill form for no apparent reason. I really thought this one would have played itself out several years ago, but it's back year after year.

2. Guards beginning the show sans equipment. Notice how many guards this year start the show by dancing, only to find their way to equipment later in the opener.

3. Showing off each section of the corps individually while the other sections stand around and watch as if impressed, only to then say "we can do it better." It was interesting when the Cadets first introduced it several years ago but it now seems cliche.

With all respect to Monty Python... "things which can't be seen"

Granted, I'm astigmatic as Mr. Magoo, but it would seem that to get big visual scores, it would take Big Visual Stuff (let's call this BVS)

Things which are not BVS:

Sabers (elegant and impressive for winter guard, they all but disappear on a football field)

Rifle work done on the far side of the back hash

Most dance work in general (squint-inducing unless way up front)

Instrumental features anywhere from mid-field back

Distracting props. Ironically, when there is too much stuff, it reminds me of a Where's Waldo book. Think Chinatown in NYC.

I'm not criticizing these things, but gosh-- I just can't see 'em :worthy: and the point is to make a visual judge think, "zowie!", correct?

Things which are BVS:

Rifle features near the front sideline

Flag work that works like a flashing sign to say, "hey, getta loada this!" when somebody else is doing something cool

Company fronts (move the thing at least 4 counts to give the crowd a couple of seconds to see it)

Almost any kind of ripple

Unison flag work, with the guard spread out all over the place. Like a classic martini, this cannot be improved upon. PR does this a lot, to advantageous effect.

Double swing flags on those chain hickies. They're easy to hide and whip out for a great "Boo!" effect.

The mid-field drumline "charge" which gives an audience a sensation of being under attack. Scare us a little, already (refer to end of SCV '89)

Drill moves that suggest contraction/expansion movement, or rotate while simultaneously moving laterally

Have never seen anyone bring it up, but the whole prop/amp thing seems impractical just from a laziness standpoint. Seems like such a hassle to shlep all that stuff around. I'm a mom, so all I can think is, "geeze, somebody's going to break that/step on it/poke their eye out/fall off and break their arm/electrocute themselves", hahahaha!

Edited by GeorgiaGirl

agreed

what can be a cliche answer right now but it is a fad that needs to go away and we need to say it again...and again...and again...and again until DCI recognizes the fans DON'T want it.

"Cliche Answer":

Do, in fact "Say It Again", and as many times as necessary to make it, and the people who CAUSED it "Go Away". Bring back DRUM & BUGLE Corps.

Elphaba

:worthy:

DCI did not decide to allow amps, nor does DCI tell the corps to use them in their shows. The corps directors voted them in.......

That IS DCI !