Crossmen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In regard to "My Humps", are the complaints based on the content and implications of the song or that the Crossmen are using it? Would the reaction be the same if Bridgemen, VK or Impulse did the bit and used the song? Because Crossmen are viewed as a "serious, competitive" corps they can't use a song that's been played on top 40 formatted radio stations ad nausium for months? As for the lyrical content, I don't think stopping usage of the song is going to save the virgin ears of the nation's 15-25 yr old demographic, which are the ones who are marching in Crossmen and every other corps and a great number of whom probably have the cd or downloaded it on to thier mp3s. IMO, the popluarity of the song is the reason it's used, it fits into the channel surfing segment very well and it's all in innocent fun.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I think it's a little bit of both. I know most people can handle the implications of the song, but the way I looked at it was "do I want to be the one explaining this to the 6-year-old behind me, or the 65-year-old next to me?"

You got me on the 6 yr old. That's a delicate explanation. Except for explaining the modern slang, I hope the 65yr old get the idea and understands ^0^ . Serious question: Did a 6 yr old and/or 65 yr old really ask you about it?

Edited by richburgher

65 y/o said "her WHAT?" and I'm not sure if he was incredulous or in need of clarification. I didn't say anything, though. At any rate, I know if my grandmother were to come along and she needed clarification, her response to "oh, yeah, she's singing about her ##### and her ###" would be pretty incredulous. (And funny)

Edited by Studio Tan

Thanks for Proofreading. Dork!

WOW....please note my smiley's.......

Just having some fun.......no harm meant.... :)

Triple Forte

Like with the Cadets...

Some people just like bashing Drum Corps that try something different.

God forbid the normal everyday person tune into ESPN2 one night and actually discover and like Drum Corps. Drum Corps has to change for that reason alone.

It costs too much money nowadays for this thing to last if it stays the same year after year.

I think it's great that Cadets and Crossmen are changing things up. It makes the show more enjoyable to watch (even if you're not a drum corps fan).

The only thing ESPN2 cares about are their RATINGS, so the more enjoyable their program is, the higher the their TV Ratings will be.

This is the "big time" now...

Drum Corps' not just a public television program anymore that comes on after re-runs of Mr. Rogers.

Edited by xbones7480

The only thing ESPN2 cares about are their RATINGS, so the more enjoyable their program is, the higher the their TV Ratings will be.

This is the "big time" now...

Drum Corps' not just a public television program anymore that comes on after re-runs of Mr. Rogers.

Sadly - this amounts to "selling out" for profits. If so then it's an even worse reason to change than somebody having an artistic vision that may not be shared by everyone.

I need to think this idea over a bit but I fear you may be right, and if so it is very sad and morally weak.

What if Mr. Rogers sang "My Humps" while feeding his fish or putting on the cardigan? :worthy:

That would be funny.

I think Pee-Wee Herman tried it... oh yeah, but he was a pervert.