Crossmen

Like with the Cadets...

Some people just like bashing Drum Corps that try something different.

God forbid the normal everyday person tune into ESPN2 one night and actually discover and like Drum Corps. Drum Corps has to change for that reason alone.

It costs too much money nowadays for this thing to last if it stays the same year after year.

Well......the major sports (Baseball, basketball, football...) in this country have stayed almost the same since the beginning. Ofcoarse there have been changes but we still use a bat and ball in baseball and a hoop and ball for basketball. Sports don't seem to be losing its fans because of this. And sports have not changed its CORE elements either.

Triple Forte

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well......the major sports (Baseball, basketball, football...) in this country have stayed almost the same since the beginning. Ofcoarse there have been changes but we still use a bat and ball in baseball and a hoop and ball for basketball. Sports don't seem to be losing its fans because of this. And sports have not changed its CORE elements either.

Triple Forte

Except that you left out the "steroids/pep pills" part that players can still get around. Speaking of which a "particular" player will heading to prison sometime soon :P

The Drum Corps International (DCI) Championships on ESPN2 were the 13th ranked program for the week it aired. It had one of the youngest audience profiles on the network. The median age of the viewer was 30. That is lower than most of the programming on ESPN2. DCI ranked 5th in the Male Age 18 to 34 category among all ESPN2 shows that week. It was #1 for Women 18-34. The show also did well in drawing teens to the network as it was the #3 ESPN2 show for the week for Teens 12-17.

_____

Looks like they'll be shooting to get more Teens to watch it this year.

That's "Show Biz"

And that would be consistant with DCI going after more and more HS band students.

Heres the thing I have been wondering. I have attended DCI Champs Quarters, Semis and Finals via a Super 3 ticket for 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005. What 14, 15, 16, 17 or 18 year old is going to be able to pay about $200.00 just for tickets ?? Most of the folks sitting around me in the Super 3 ticket section complain about being able to afford the premo tickets and are older than me...and I am 33. I mean sure.....some non-teen folks will continue to attend DCI shows even if it completly changes....but I feel the majority will not.

Thoughts ??

Triple Forte

Heres the thing I have been wondering. I have attended DCI Champs Quarters, Semis and Finals via a Super 3 ticket for 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005. What 14, 15, 16, 17 or 18 year old is going to be able to pay about $200.00 just for tickets ?? Most of the folks sitting around me in the Super 3 ticket section complain about being able to afford the premo tickets and are older than me...and I am 33. I mean sure.....some non-teen folks will continue to attend DCI shows even if it completly changes....but I feel the majority will not.

Few teens will shell out $200 for a Super 3 ticket. But adults will buy enough tickets to make a tidy sum for DCI...which passes it on to the corps, who have their bills to pay. As an adult, I don't begrudge DCI or the corps their ticket price.

Very affordable tix are available for Quarterfinals every year. Even Semis have reasonably affordable, decent tix. And virtually all local and regional shows have "cheap seats" as well, if you don't mind sitting on the 30. Not being able to sit on the 50 for Finals is one thing, but I don't think many students can say that they can't afford to attend a show.

Be Nice, you know they love you !

I love them too. As do most people in most audiences they'll perform for this summer. I am very happy for them that they are as enjoyable as they are! They bring much credit to both themselves and us as an activity.

And that would be consistant with DCI going after more and more HS band students.

Thoughts ??

Triple Forte

Well, how long do you think the alleged transformtion of dci is going to take? If it is one year, than yea, they are gonna have alot of people not buying the crazy expensive tickets, but if it takes a while, won't the high-school kids grow up and be the people with the pursestrings?

Edited by tubacurt

Few teens will shell out $200 for a Super 3 ticket. But adults will buy enough tickets to make a tidy sum for DCI...which passes it on to the corps, who have their bills to pay. As an adult, I don't begrudge DCI or the corps their ticket price.

I dont have a problem with DCI and its ticket prices. If I did.....I would not be buying the tickets that I do. I would buy cheaper tickets or just not attendl.

Very affordable tix are available for Quarterfinals every year. Even Semis have reasonably affordable, decent tix. And virtually all local and regional shows have "cheap seats" as well, if you don't mind sitting on the 30. Not being able to sit on the 50 for Finals is one thing, but I don't think many students can say that they can't afford to attend a show.

I was not trying to say (At all) that HS band kids won't attend shows because of ticket prices. What I am asking is if more and more of the older fans are replaced by HS kids, who will scoop up the super 3 tic's ?? As you mentioned, some adults will be in attendance but "IMO" I doubt there would be enough of them to fill the super 3 seats. I have observed at DCI Champs that most HS band kids sit in the corners of the upper tiers.

Triple Forte

Well, how long do you think the allegend transformtion of dci is going to take?

I don't know how long the tranformation will take. I believe that once woodwinds are allowed......it will be the last straw for a lot of fans.

If it is one year, than yea, they are gonna have alot of people not buying the crazy expensive tickets, but if it takes a while, won't the high-school kids grow up and be the people with the pursestrings?

Perhaps....hard to tell. I feel many will move on to other important items (Place to live, career, start a family...) in their lives once they grow up. My folks took a break from drum corps once they had started a family.

Triple Forte