Top ten Blue Devils shows of "all time"

Overconfident perhaps?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, another top 10 of just amazing shows, and only about 30 or so to choose from. Yeah, no problem.

Here we go:

1. BD 1988 - I agree with G here. This show may be one of the best of all time (with Garfield 87, SCV 87, Star 91/93). Just an absolute classic. One of the best horn lines I ever heard live, easily the best soloists I heard live, and a beautiful show with those black and grey uniforms. If the opening of Barbara Streisand's version of "Oh Happy Days" doesn't grab you, then you have issues. :) This horn line would still be top 2 or 3 today, including this very year, perhaps still taking the title. When I think of BD I think of 1988 first, and I think of this style of jazz show. To me, this is who they are.

2. 1979 - What great soloists, and when I first saw this corps I literally jumped out of my seat. I was young and still didn't know much about corps (and probably still don't), but the music just grabbed me. "La Seurtos..." is just one of those classic drum corps tunes that every band in the country had to perform. I have spoken to many older band directors, whom I look up to greatly, who tell me that this was the greatest show they ever saw when they were in the early- to mid stages of their careers.

3. 1984 - Great horn line, very loud horn line, perfect music, and the greatest concert number of all time ("La Fiesta"). Only .1 off the title, but more than that, if we truly believe that Garfield 84 was so great, then we must also ackowledge this show for its EQUAL greatness.

4. 1982 - My first championships, my dad took me to Montreal in 82 and boy did I love it. And this Blue Devils show was one of the highlights. I can still listen to this recording and think how very few lines today sound this good. Drums, YES.

5. 1994 - A classic BD show, but on a more important scale, this show was a change of style for the Devils. They set a new path for them, and for many in the acitivity. The fusion/latin element was added to even greater effect, and the visual program was equally good and no longer one of their weaknesses (relatively speaking). Great mellos, incredible demand, constant action.

6. 1985 - Definitely one of my favorites. I loved this show for its abstract feel to the music, the butterfly outfits in the guard, and the guts it took to put Emerson, Lake and Palmer on the field (their Trilogy chart). Great show.

7. 1990 - Believe it or not, this is one of the BD gems. I unique look at a musical, and a unique musical, with rocked out charts, pink cumberbunns, great arrangements, and a wonderful soprano soloist. This show rocked the house many times. Once I get the themes from this show in my head, I am hooked for days.

8. 1997 - A thow back, in a way, to the 80s-like shows with the beauty of the jazz ballad, yet the sophistication of swingin' jazz, and the latin elements that made them pur in 1994. Execution was amazing, and perhaps this is the best they have ever marches (or right there with 1988). But this show was more compex visually than 1988.

9. 1991 - Loved it, and perhaps these are some of the best charts we have heard, and some of the best brass playing in the activity.

10. 2000 - Just to listen to that horn line and to appreciate that music, WOW. For those reasons I include this show here. What a tough visual show, and the guard is sweet.

Honorable mention:

1. BD 1981 - I have always loved the T.O. opener. What great horns.

2. BD 1986 - One of their best show and best performances ever. Sheer power and precision

3. BD 2003 - Outstanding

4. BD 1989 - Awesome show from top to bottom

5. BD 1976 - the show that changed jazz in drum corps forever, and opened up a huge market for arrangements of music in a similar style, and for the actual music BD was playing. BD charts from 1976 to 1986 were copied and used by marching bands more than the music from any other corps.

They were very very confident but I dont think that was the killer...tempi were different on finals night

I saw BD and SCV go head to head four times in '99 and BD's Finals night show did seem off. People running into each other and fracks. Now their encore performance? B)

I saw BD and SCV go head to head four times in '99 and BD's Finals night show did seem off. People running into each other and fracks. Now their encore performance? B)

I dont think people were running into each other & I dont remember any fracks (but there might have been)....the "collision" you are thinking of was someone's plume getting caught up on another guy's bell.

the encore performance was a disaster

ps: I'm aware 1986 isnt mentioned here. Its an awesome, mind-blowing show , There is just no room at the top, I guess. Dont hate me !!

What are yours ??

You have got to be kidding?? the 1986 show is one of the greatest of all time for any corps. Just the sheer power of the hornline alone makes this one for the ages. I hate to say it, but leaving the 1986 Blue Devils off of antone's list is criminal!!!

*Note = 1986 was my first drum corps experience, so I am a bit biased!

Edited by Newseditor44

I dont think people were running into each other & I dont remember any fracks (but there might have been)....the "collision" you are thinking of was someone's plume getting caught up on another guy's bell.

the encore performance was a disaster

One of the lead sops hits a wrong partial at about 1:40 into the show. The collision I thought I saw can't be seen on the Legacy DVD, but it was on the PBS broadcast. The DVD is on high cam at that point while the PBS broadcast was showing the "action camera."

I liked the encore because disproved the "robot myth" I believed about BD. :P

One of the lead sops hits a wrong partial at about 1:40 into the show. The collision I thought I saw can't be seen on the Legacy DVD, but it was on the PBS broadcast. The DVD is on high cam at that point while the PBS broadcast was showing the "action camera."

I liked the encore because disproved the "robot myth" I believed about BD. :P

I know which one (collision) you are talk about. There was contact but the movement of the plume made it look worse than it was. I was real close to it when it happened :P

tempo's in 99 were wacked out that night...caused lots of problems

Every finals performance that I had with BD felt uneasy

I am young and have different tastes in drum corps and different reasons that have attracted me to the blue devils.

That being said, my all time favorite show happens to be last year. I really liked the concept and the tune at the very end of their finals performance is one I can't get out of my head. PLus, I like that this show seems to be one that "normal" people really like and is the type of show that would attract "normal" people to the activity (like my non-band friends from school). It is the type of show that seems to change their mind about marching band being "dorky." (Yes, I know marching band and drum corps are different, but to "normal" people they are one in the same.)

After that one, I would have to say 03. Loved the music of this one and can't get it out of my head either.

Then I would say 04. I liked the whole theme and thought everything went well together to sell the whole idea.

And then after that I would say 96 then 2000.

I mainly love Blue Devils and the above shows for the music in them. I like that I can listen to recordings and still enjoy them without having to see visuals like with some of the other corps.

Edited by dcila87