Top ten Blue Devils shows of "all time"

I know which one (collision) you are talk about. There was contact but the movement of the plume made it look worse than it was. I was real close to it when it happened :P

Well, as long as nobody lost any teeth. :) The "humorous" part of that was it was right at the end of a phrase which the pit accented with a metallic sound. Seemed to fit well. :P

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched that show....as I look back at it I dont think it was that great of a show but it really think it was a lesson on execution. Such a very talented corps. A good portion of the corps that year had marched since 94. From a performance standpoint it was near perfect....hard to beat that

1997 Blue Devils one of my favorite drum corps shows of all time. Maybe it's because it was the very first drumline I saw in the lot, and my mind exploded. And maybe it was the first drumcorps I ever saw live, and my jaw fell to the ground. However, to this day, I still LOVE THIS SHOW.

My top ten (derived by how many times I've listened to each on my iPod):

1. 1997

2. 2004

3. 1996

4. 1998

5. 1999

6. 1995

7. 1994

8. 2003

9. 2000

10. 2001

It's too bad I wasn't born fifteen or twenty years earlier so I could have actually seen some old school BD live. I just can't get into any of the recordings of BD before 1994. I don't know--maybe it's a horn guy/gal thing.

-Just to clarify-

I have been IM'd last night and this morning by some folks respectfully asking why on earth 1976 isnt on the list.

Simple, I forgot to mention that I rank only what I have seen live, I only got into the activity in 1979. It wouldnt be fair to rank earlier shows based just on sound and video alone.

And 1986 was not "left off". it was on my previous list at #8, but since then I have revisited some shows and this version, they arent on it. No reflection on the monster, trend setting, super-show that it was and is.

Thank you

~G~

1988 Favorite brass book ever

1986 Total package, execution

1982 Intensity, attitude and one more time chuck corea. 'nuff said

I like all three of those shows equally well, and I'll call it a (hope we never see this at finals) a three way tie.

After those three:

:worthy:

Every finals performance that I had with BD felt uneasy

2002 was very uneasy for me on finals night.

but 2003 was a different story. that show was my bi-atch that night. i don't think i ever marched a better show with my time in blue devils.

2004 i remember almost biting it going into the A Train, i was marching backwards at 200 or whatever it was, and i slipped a little on a change of direction, it was very close, but i was victorious over the turf monkeys. :P

2004 i remember almost biting it going into the A Train, i was marching backwards at 200 or whatever it was, and i slipped a little on a change of direction, it was very close, but i was victorious over the turf monkeys. :P

From where I was sitting (way on the north side...if I looked directly in front of me, I was staring right down at the north end zone...and right up at the top), it sounded like you guys were phasing horrendously...like "we're totally screwed" phasing...

I was praying to God that it was my vantage point since you guys were pretty spread out...I was seriously petrified

Fortunately as you closed in more, the (apparent) phasing diminished...big sigh of relief

Had I been right, the whole talk about the 2004 season from then on would've concerned the disastrous performance of the Blue Devils at finals...thank God that didn't happen

Great list, G. I'd kill to hear that BD '88 show live again.

Here's my list:

1 - 2000 I just love the dark theme, the lush music & all the "madness" elements subtely layered in. It's a close call, but this is my favorite BD show

2 - 1999 This is the most fun I've ever had watching a BD show, and the guard was unbelievable. The music was infectious and BD's last year on G bugles had unbelievable power. Dah -dat dat, dat dat. That groove will be in my head for many years when I think of this show.

3 - 1990 This seems to be a lightening rod show that people either love or hate, but until 1999, it was my favorite BD show. Was the guard programming a little "out there?" Yes. But wow, the music was just incredible. The reworked closer added at the end of the year was electric. Unbelievable soloists, too.

4 - 1988 Fantastic, old shool BD. The music was great, and the tag ending was a ton of fun.

5 - 1989 Maybe one of the best brass books ever.

6 - 2003 The show was just "cool." (Sorry, couldn't resist, lol). Terrific guard and such an amazingly tight, crisp show.

7 - 1997 Great theme stellar drill and classic BD execution. I wasn't sold on this show until I saw it up high in Orlando (I used to love the Low/High rotation DCI did with the Super 3 tickets), but when I saw it up high, I know no one would touch them on Saturday night.

8 - 1995 BD on the dark side. Scary execution. Still think this show should have won on Saturday night. Not my favorite show from 1995, but no one performed better.

9 - 2004 The new ending on Saturday night for Finals (the train leaving the station) took this show over the top. Great music book, great theme, done very well.

10 - 1998 I loved hearing BD's Romeo & Juliet sections of the show, just divine. Fantastic show.

So, there you have my 10.

Harvey

In particular, the Devils' 1982 performance at the show in Bayonne, NJ, to this day ranks as one of the top two or three performances I've ever seen, on any level of the drum corps activity. Absolutely incredible.

Fran

Fran,

Very memorable from the field level as well and the audience that night played a huge part in that. The crowd gave off such great energy - particularly memorable is when they gave us a loud standing O as we were being announced as entering the field. This is before we had even played a single note. What a rush that was! I can't speak for the rest of the corps, but I know I was fired up by that great reception and all through the show from the incredilble energy coming out of the stands. That Bayonne show still stands out as one of my favorite memories. Thank you for the kind words.

TW

ps: I'm aware 1986 isnt mentioned here. Its an awesome, mind-blowing show , There is just no room at the top, I guess. Dont hate me !!

What are yours ??

I have my top 2 always on my mind..... 1986 and 1988

Your top 10 list is interesting. As a big Blue Devil fan I have no idea how 1986 did not make it on your list. If you have trouble removing one to fit in 1986 I will help ya.....1995 :P :P

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte