DCA 2006 Line-Up

but why force a corps to go when they feel it isn't in their best interests?

No, forcing them would definitely not be a good idea. But, their deciding not to go does feel like a shot to the pills for the activity. After all, we'd hit 26 corps last year, and there's 2 less this year. And there's potential (if you include all of the corps that either bowed out or decided against going) to have 29 corps this year. Just shy of 30 corps at prelims! I know, pushing things is bad, but that'd be a great show of strength for DCA.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would, but the corps have to look at growth the same way DCA does.....in ways that make sense.

No, forcing them would definitely not be a good idea. But, their deciding not to go does feel like a shot to the pills for the activity. After all, we'd hit 26 corps last year, and there's 2 less this year.

24 corps is still real good... second-highest total in DCA history.

Plus, it means I might get out of the stadium by midnight. B)

Fran

well we'll find a way to keep that from happening :P

well we'll find a way to keep that from happening :P

Probably a good chance of being stopped by the " Fashion Police" on his way to the gate. :P

What we don't need are corps that aren't ready to compete. A corps that is ready and has a foundation, GREAT! A corps that jumps too fast and dies because of it = VERY bad... for DCA and the corps.

I would LOVE to see 40 corps on the field, but if 10 of those corps stress out their 20-25 members to the point that they don't have a corps the following year, then what was the point?

I would much rather see a corps stay local and perform a few shows a year and go to champs when they are ready.

Some corps are ready in their first year, some in their 10th. I still think Cincinnati Tradition just does a few exhibitions and a DCI show every year and they aren't new.

I am a huge fan of the Imperials, and really supportive of the corps. If that means I need to wait one more year to cheer them on the field, I will... But I sure hope they are at I&E and have a booth at DCA so I can buy a T shirt

Understandable, Chris...

BUT I WANT IT ALL NOW! GIVE ME ALL 29 CORPS ON THE FIELD AT PRELIMS! BRING IT ON! BIGGER! BETTER! FASTER! NOW! NOW! NOW!

:P

I think we need to encourage the "A" corps movement by promoting more regional events for them, among other things. We need an analogue to the old RCA/ICA circuits to foster development of these groups.

I think we need to encourage the "A" corps movement by promoting more regional events for them, among other things. We need an analogue to the old RCA/ICA circuits to foster development of these groups.

It's happening right now with the "regionals". DCA South and DCA Central are both hosting legitimate contests with a mix of open class and class "A" corps. The focus now is on growing these corps, building the market(s), and keeping everyone healthy -- both competitively AND financially. Both groups realize the need to do that and the odds we're up against. And while the Minnesota corps have had something of a "round robin" series of shows and a drum corps contest tradition in the past, the southern corps are more spread out (Houston, Atlanta, Jackson, Sterling/DC, Orlando, Nashville), which chews the heck out of travel budgets. The DCA South Championship has been slowly growing the past few years in Rockmart (NW of Atlanta) and will move to Nashville in '07 and Houston in '08.

I think you could make a case that DCA has also done more to promote the "A" corps movement in the northeast in recent years. White Sabers have what, six DCA shows within four or five hours of home this year? We'd kill for a schedule like that! :) Mon Valley also has three or four similar opportunities this year. But most of the "A" corps remain in the upper Midwest and the South, so these are the areas where we need to concentrate our efforts. The increased exposure of the "A" corps at Finals has also benefitted the activity.

By any measure, the small corps are no longer getting short shrift from DCA as they perceived they were even 10 years ago. RCA and ICA served their purpose at the time, but the activity IMHO is now better served by a unified DCA.

Very cool! I really haven't seen a perceptable growth of the "A" class in the NE, which is why theWhite Sabers exclusively compete against open class corps. The smaller competative corps are certainly not as prevalent as in the 'old" RCA/ICA days when there was a 4 to 6 corps show weekly. But there definately is an overall increase in these types of groups on a national level. DCA is indeed doing many things right!