All the singing /Narration folks

The year is 1989. Santa Clara Vanguard. Their show "Phantom of the Opera" to me was a masterpiece. The creativity, moves and flow was spectacular. Enough so to score highest score ever (at that time, I believe it was a 98.7)

Now, everyone basically understood the show, what they were trying to accomplish and how they told the story without Narration.

So for all you narration/singing folks, can you honestly say that the program would have been better and more creative and original if someone was telling you what the chandelier meant or that it would have been a better program with a "christine" singing? I mean would they have scored higher? convince me...

Seems to me that this program was absolutely fine without all that nonsense. IT WAS NOT NEEDED. So here is you chance and opportunity to pursuade me and 100's if not thousands of others. Again, tell me what does narration/singing bring to the table?............

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The year is 1989. Santa Clara Vanguard. Their show "Phantom of the Opera" to me was a masterpiece. The creativity, moves and flow was spectacular. Enough so to score highest score ever (at that time, I believe it was a 98.7)

Now, everyone basically understood the show, what they were trying to accomplish and how they told the story without Narration.

So for all you narration/singing folks, can you honestly say that the program would have been better and more creative and original if someone was telling you what the chandelier meant or that it would have been a better program with a "christine" singing? I mean would they have scored higher? convince me...

Seems to me that this program was absolutely fine without all that nonsense. IT WAS NOT NEEDED. So here is you chance and opportunity to pursuade me and 100's if not thousands of others. Again, tell me what does narration/singing bring to the table?............

It brings about a million repetitive threads :P

Would THAT particular show have been enhanced? Probably not.

Now can you convince me that NO show could EVER be enhanced? And I'm not talking about shows that have already been done and are a part of history. Let's talk about possibilities and the present tense and the future. Is there NO way a corps can use mic'd vocals and have it work? I've already seen one corps this year who has not only had it work in their show, it has totally enhanced their program IMO (Crossmen). Seems like most of the reviews I've read agree as well, including reviews written by some of the most notable and ardent anti-ampers.

Just so you know, the year is 2006. Not 1989. The world has changed whether we like it or not.

Carry on!

I don't have a problem with narration or amping as long as it doesn't become the focus. Obviously that has been a problem for some fans with a choice few corps. But I read a post earlier about Bluecoats and Santa Clara long before them using amps for steel drums, which the audience never would have heard otherwise. That makes sense to me. Also, vocals can be used interestingly and effectively, as evidenced by the Bluecoats and Cadets last year.

I share Rut-Roh's optimism that narration has the potential of enhancing a show. Personally, I haven't liked the narration in any shows that I've seen yet, but for me, it's the "baby/bathwater" argument. Do we restrict a designer that could potentially enhance a show with it solely because the people who tried it first failed is many people's eyes? I'd argue against that. Sometimes multiple 'failures' can be the catalyst for amazing success.

Does drum corps need amped narration? Of course not. Then again, drum corps has never needed any of the evolutions that have come down the line of the past half century, including the changes that have been viewed positively by audiences.

I can guarantee you nobody has ever joined a corps due to its "awesome narration" and wonderful "amped singing"

Nobody has ever walked up to a souvie truck and asked if besides the brass shirts, percussion shirts, or guard shirts, " Do you guys sell microphone line" shirts ??

Nobody has ever walked away from a show scratching ones head in amazement and stating " Wow, now that was great narration" "What a voice"

Finally, if "Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa" was so great, to be used a dozen or so times (from the shows inception, before alterations) Why didnt the Blue Devils marketing staff create t-shirts with that saying on it ?? Cash in on how "awesome" it was ?

~G~