DCA considering amps

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Empire Statesmen: Look at their staff and membership. Many people recently with DCI, although I agree that their comittment to accessible, entertaining music is comendable and different than your typical D1 corps. BTW, we used amps in ES in 1985!

Edited by Storkysr

Look at their staff and membership. Many people recently with DCI, although I agree that their comittment to accessible, entertaining music is comendable and different than your typical D1 corps.

staff can change readily.

their musical and marching style is what gives a corps their identity. Empire has an identity all their own and there is nothing about it that says DCI to me.

From a guy who never had a problem with many of the changes (multiple valves, key, etc.), I have to say that being an all-acoustic and all-brass & percussion medium seems to me to be a last stand that is worth defending.

Yes, the amplification of vibes seems innocent enough, but, obviously the DCI rule allows far more. And when the kinks in the technology are worked out, look for that far more to develop.

Edited by brassomaniac

I'm thinking Bridgemen are using them becuase their hornline is so loud that it's drowning out the smallish pit?

WINNER!! :)

If you can't haer the pit, sit closer to the sideline.

or have them play louder :P

In all of the shows I have seen over the last couple years, not once did I say to myself......wow......glad that was amplified. That was really cool. And I still haven't heard any of these kids who sing sound any better than a half rate high school chorus. So I don't really get it. But I go to hear Drums and Horns anyways. If I want to hear anything else, I have other outlets in which do to so. Have the Bridgemen been booed yet when using those amps ? I have been going to DCA's for 30 years and I know there are some old timers in the stands who often times leave their larnyx filter at home and say some things outloud that would make George Carlin blush..........so I was just thinking about DCA's this year what I might hear from the stands. :)

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Ever since I joined a Sr. Corps (yes I said Sr Corp) 20 years ago, I have enjoyed the "natural" sound of all the intruments as they were intended to sound. If the pit needed to be more, then they were asked to play with more intensity and the other sections were asked to lighten their sound. Hence a compromise of beautiful music. IMO, if DCA allows amplification, then the Sr. aspect of "rich, natural, raw" sound of the pit instruments would lost. Sr. corps know how to play with such finesse and power, that pit amps are not needed. Let's just keep the organizations unique but still following the same general principle - music and pagentry in motion. DCI and DCA are two seperate entities. Each following their own guidelines. DCA has been successful without amps and they will continue to be successful without.

(now stepping off the soap-box)

Does anyone know if DCE allows amps? cuz if DCA makes the switch I might move to Germany to march <**>