Hot shows and shakos

it is the Uniforms that is a pain in the heat... they should just have hot weather unis...

Last time I checked, I thought that is what everyone wore? Its not like corps are going out there with heavy wool uniforms like they used to back in the day.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kansas is far and away the hottest state I have ever performed in, and that includes Texas. Last night's heat advisory warning was no fluke. I don't think I've EVER heard of a field temperature of 130 degrees (inflated or not).

I've seen a temperature of 145 for a Cardinals game in St. Louis. Turner Field in ATL can get over 135 too.

as for the shako thing.... you only put them on when you walk up to the gate (at least that's what we did.) So, you're carrying them in your hand to warm up, to the gate, etc. Then right before you go in, there's a whole deal and you put 'em on.

Wearing them for that long was never a big deal. B/c they came off right outside the gate after the show.

I dunno... never a problem that I saw.

I've seen a temperature of 145 for a Cardinals game in St. Louis. Turner Field in ATL can get over 135 too.

good thing more and more stadiums are going away from the old astroturf, which adds to the temp. like crazy

EXACTLY. With a layer of plastic/leather on your head, sweat is deprived of its primary goal, which is evaporation. With a layer of sweat sticking to your hair and scalp, that is nothing more than ANOTHER layer to hold the heat in

This year for 4th of July parades we went from shakos to baseball caps and it's a HUGE difference. Like shadowskream said, shakos hold in the heat and does not let it escape. Didn't notice it when I marched back in the day, but now that I'm showing more scalp than hair it's a royal pain. Need a doo-rag under the shako to sop up the sweat *bleah*....

Shakos prevent direct exposure to the sunlight and sunburn on the noggin. No reason not to wear them in 90+ temps

Shakos prevent direct exposure to the sunlight and sunburn on the noggin. No reason not to wear them in 90+ temps

Chance of slight sunburn vs. chance of heat stroke?

This isn't even a question for me.

Guys, shows are late evening -- the sunlight isn't a problem. If a corps goes on at 7, no hat is needed to prevent sun exposure. No one gets a sunburn at 7pm.

Shakos are decorative only. They are a great effect. However when there is an official heat advisory, I think it makes sense to not wear them.