Random thoughts about the San Antonio stream

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, look past the vocals in Cadets 06 and tell me you seriously don't like that show.

The problem is, so much of the show is built around not just vocals but very "untraditional" elements of drum corps design. Strip those away, and you're honestly not left with very much. There's an extended drum break, a ballad that is built around the featured vocalist, and a reprise of last year's closer. I'm speaking off what I saw two weeks ago in Indy, but it just feels like musically there's far less than what they had last year. The vocals et al are clearly the focus of this show, the element given the most consideration in designing. If you say "strip away the vocals and everything else that challenges the traditional, then I would ask "what's left?"

By the way, this is not to say that I dislike the show. I want to watch it a few more times and see if it grows on me. But you're either going to love it for what it is or hate it for what it is. This show makes no excuses, it is what it is.

As for Phantom, I'm still trying to get into their show as well. Right now there's not enough contrast for me, it's either frantic or peaceful with little transition or middle ground. In that respect, it reminds me of SCV last year. They certainly impressed me in Battle Creek, but for now this track isn't as high as some others on my playlist.

After last night, I've become a huge believer in Phantom. Last week, I thought their show was pretty lacklustre. Not anymore. Not after last night. If they could change that much in a week and get that much of a connection with me in that short of a time, I can't wait to see what they'll do over the next 3 weeks. It's going to be great, I think.

dude, look past the vocals in Cadets 06 and tell me you seriously don't like that show.

Sorry, the vocals ARE a part of the show...and are part of the major design distraction. Let's face it...it was YOWZA in 05; and vocals, Alice and the menagerie in 06; both shows bombed/are bombing due to major distractions; concept flaws and lack of true championship-calibre content. At least there was true meat in Cadet's 05 show; they do not have that , IMHO, to save them this year.

Edited by prodigal bari

OK, I thought I was a drum corps fan before seeing Phantom's performance. I've said it before and I'll say it again: look up "drum corps" in a dictionary and besides the entry you'll see the words "Phantom Regiment 2006." I don't think any words in the English language can describe how amazing this show is, so I won't try. Let's just say I cried a bit at the end...from a freakin' internet stream. Phantom had the crowd in the palm of their hand and gave them exacly what they wanted. They're bringing the entire activity in the exact right direction. Unreal.

From what I could understand, Cavies DID have a new ending...why were people saying they didn't? They added a whole minute to the show after the old endinge, with a slow soft portion transitioning to a loud ending. Or did they have this all along?

What a show Bluecoats have. Crowd loves it.

Blue Devils were on fire, great show.

Cadets managed to pull two (2) of the amped vocals. Two down, 17 to go. The corps is completely missing out on the amazing audience reaciton other corps are getting. The audience knows what they want, and the Cadets ain't it.

My son is in the Cavaliers and they do not have a new ending. But wait.... you'll see. They added the skipping record and a lot of visual stuff, but no new ending as of yet.

Phantom has been my favorite corps ever since I started competing against them in 1976. I have never NOT liked their show.

A question that I'm too lazy to research right now:

What is the LOWEST position they have finished since they first made DCI finals?

Who, besides Blue Devils, have consistently finished better?

This might not be a complete answer to your question, but....

Lowest finals placement for Phantom....11th in '74

Lowest finals placement for Blue Devils.....9th in '74

I'm SO confused about the Cavies' ending.

They ended their show in San Antonio two days ago with a soft, slow ending that culminated in loud chords, correct? This was a fifth movement, after the fourth movement which ended in the same three chords that end the opener (and then the drumline echoes them.)

On my APD from June 17, they are only four movements. They never play the soft fifth movement mentioned above. The three chords is the ending to their show. I could have sworn that this was the same in Indy two weeks ago.

Please help.

Do you have the Columbia APD? The San Antonio ending is the same as the one that they used then. It did change from the Toledo recording, but no, there's still a "newer" ending coming.

My son is in the Cavaliers and they do not have a new ending. But wait.... you'll see. They added the skipping record and a lot of visual stuff, but no new ending as of yet.

That show needs a new ending. To me, it just ends and catches everyone off guard that it is the end. My reaction was "That's it?"

BD's show ending is like that also. But, I think they have made it known they have a new ending coming soon.

The problem is, so much of the show is built around not just vocals but very "untraditional" elements of drum corps design. Strip those away, and you're honestly not left with very much.

But isn't that like saying 'strip away the first trumpet part and...."

The vocals and other stuff are integral to their show...they are not 'bolt ons' added after the rest.