Want to explain the random SCV trumpet player?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard from the son (not positive) that this person is an age out and he hurt his knee at the beginning of the season. This is how he could be in the show. Also the show is about perpetual motion and he is always in motion, never stops and joins the corp at the end. So not positive that this is why, but these stories pass through the Corps.

I wondered if there might be a story like that. Seems strange to have a member that goes through the process of making the corps, paying the fees, only to essentially wander around during the show. If it's an injury situation, IMO that makes it a great story, one worth telling when this show is discussed.

I don't think this is a completely new concept for Vanguard. In years past, I seem to remember "wandering performers" throughout different parts of drill. Maybe not to this extent of moving in between numbers, but as far as not molding to their section. One year there was a percussion member that almost appeared to be lost and wandering, until about every 30 counts or so he would end up exactly where he needed to be in the drill formation. Totally cool effect in my opinion.

And if it is true that this member has an injury, and they are able to utilize him in this way to keep the perpetual motion going, hats off to Vanguard on another show of class.

I absolutely love their show this year. Can't wait to see it live in Madison.

Hm, the injury story seems like it could make sense...

To be honest, it's not that "cool." It was actually distracting as you realize he's there and miss out on the show. I thought that parts of the perpetual motion were very obvious, but his part just seemed out of place.

If he is a distraction to you, then don't watch him...watch the drill and the rest of the corps.

If the injury story is true, then right on to SCV for finding a way to include him in the show. I've seen it twice, and it doesn't bother me, nor does it seem so out of place.

Injury or not, the "wandering vanguard" is something SCV has done in past shows. There was quite a bit of it in 2003. I think it's a really cool effect, and always wished they would use it more. Fits perfectly with their show concept this year imo, I really dig it.

Plus, when he's an adult showing his kids the DVD's, it'll be hella easy for him to point himself out.

Well according to corps director Jeff Pearson...

"Mr. Moto" will be an enigma.

Hey - I tried to interview him backstage, but

he was surrounded by his bodyguard (aka 'cymbals').

Gotta love the mystique!

MAV

Reminds me of Tarpon Springs winter guard 2 years ago who did a show about running. One guard member simply ran in around the floor the entire time until the end while the other members performed around her.

Want to explain the random SCV trumpet player?

No.

:P