I consider myself a pretty strong performer. And, I was sweating PLENTY come the end of our performance Saturday. I'm sure I speak for ALL of my Statesmen family when I say that our show is plenty hard, thank you. We'd be glad to trade our spots with members of any other corps for a day, just to show how hard we do work.

Aaah... Dale, I have often said that to people stating that "Brigs don't march a lot" in past years. I always said that we MADE it look easy, although it's hard. When a corps uses good marching techniques, it will look like it's easy. It's the whole point. IMO.

So, bravo Empire, you march well. lol

(Well I saw you guys in Central Square, and you guys looked good)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks alot!

Edited by AlbionNY Drum Line

The only thing I am going to say about this is, if you don't like it, turn around and stare at the press box. The onfield warmup is our last moment of mental preperation before our performance. It is great to see our staff on the field with us because they get hyped by us playing well and in turn hype us up even more. Guess what, it works, we had our best show of the season. I, personally, could care less what people reviewing the shows think. Most of them really don't know what they are talking about or have the background to back up what they are saying. Just watching corps for a long time doesn't qualify you in design and music. I play for myself, the people in my line, the people in my corps, and our staff. I am sure the press box would gladly have a conversation with you if you don't like watching us prepare for our show.

I had reserve seats that were on the 35, and 5 rows back, so unfair to give a full review.

A couple of things I did notice (from the bad seats), a few pits had some phasing issues.

(I thought that odd)

CAbs seemed loudest of the night, Bush right from the start nice technical brass line.

Bucs nice brass sound, again from my seats their large pit overshadowed the brass at times.

It's been a long time since I watched an entire DCA show as I marched till 99, and then when

at a show usually assist my old corps.

There is one thing that I think DCA should "rule" on, or make "policy" for all corps.

Keep the Staff off the field!

I watched Cabs march on, set up, the drum line is in a horseshoe shaped set and there is 6 to 7

staff standing across the opening of the horseshoe as they warmup, jumping up and down, trying to hype them?

I was taken somewhat aback by that, it was like I was watching a parking lot warmup.

I just mention Cabs here because they were the first on of the bigger size corps, (more staff, LOL)

but all corps do it to different extents.

What happened to leaving the corps at the gate, walking across the end zone and either going up

to the box or staying on the track?

This was probaly done by my corps also in the 90's, but you don't notice it when your in line.

All the same, it looks tacky?, unprofessional?, etc.?

I remember in the early 80's being told when you hit the gate your "ON".

The crowd is watching you, maybe the judges are watching, first impressions, etc.

Each corps "marches" out in "uniform" expressing their own identities or establishing the mood for their show.

I found it to be distracting from the product that just took the field.

I know in the 80's this wasn't common, maybe the director on the field?, not the whole staff.

Look at the pic's of corps taking the field in the 80s, no staff to be found.

End of rant for Monday morning, Flame Away!

Speck, the guy that wrote that review was marching drum corps before you were born, and marched until 1999. He has 4 or 5 DCA Championships under his belt.

PERSONALLY, I agree with what your staff does...but he is entitled to his opinion.

My Dad took my 7 year old niece to the Lewisburg show......after the show he asked her who her favorite corps was and to his surprise she said.............."The 2nd Caballeros.........I liked his (Russo) funky pants". Classic.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

I liked his (Russo) funky pants

:blink:

I think everyone has said that at one time or another.

Too cute. :)

The only thing I am going to say about this is, if you don't like it, turn around and stare at the press box. The onfield warmup is our last moment of mental preperation before our performance. It is great to see our staff on the field with us because they get hyped by us playing well and in turn hype us up even more. Guess what, it works, we had our best show of the season. I, personally, could care less what people reviewing the shows think. Most of them really don't know what they are talking about or have the background to back up what they are saying. Just watching corps for a long time doesn't qualify you in design and music. I play for myself, the people in my line, the people in my corps, and our staff. I am sure the press box would gladly have a conversation with you if you don't like watching us prepare for our show.

I didn't comment on your show or design, and I said that all corps are doing this now.

This had nothing to do with your performance or anyone else's.

If you go to the theatre when the curtain comes up the staff/stage hands or what have you are not roaming around

the stage.

My view is once you enter the gate/stadium the curtain is up, your in costume/uniform, your portraying what it is to be a "Cab,Buc,Brig,Cru,Hurc,Sky", etc.

Your warmup is like a precursor of whats to come, all part of the "SHOW".

i understand what you are saying ,but as i recall when i was in sun back in the day the staff used to do the same thing...what might be different nowadays is that we are up-front and personal with the crowd instead of backfield.

each corps/ instructors have there own way of preporation right before the 1st note of the show.

off topic: it was good to run into you before the show.

I had reserve seats that were on the 35, and 5 rows back, so unfair to give a full review.

A couple of things I did notice (from the bad seats), a few pits had some phasing issues.

(I thought that odd)

CAbs seemed loudest of the night, Bush right from the start nice technical brass line.

Bucs nice brass sound, again from my seats their large pit overshadowed the brass at times.

It's been a long time since I watched an entire DCA show as I marched till 99, and then when

at a show usually assist my old corps.

There is one thing that I think DCA should "rule" on, or make "policy" for all corps.

Keep the Staff off the field!

I watched Cabs march on, set up, the drum line is in a horseshoe shaped set and there is 6 to 7

staff standing across the opening of the horseshoe as they warmup, jumping up and down, trying to hype them?

I was taken somewhat aback by that, it was like I was watching a parking lot warmup.

I just mention Cabs here because they were the first on of the bigger size corps, (more staff, LOL)

but all corps do it to different extents.

What happened to leaving the corps at the gate, walking across the end zone and either going up

to the box or staying on the track?

This was probaly done by my corps also in the 90's, but you don't notice it when your in line.

All the same, it looks tacky?, unprofessional?, etc.?

I remember in the early 80's being told when you hit the gate your "ON".

The crowd is watching you, maybe the judges are watching, first impressions, etc.

Each corps "marches" out in "uniform" expressing their own identities or establishing the mood for their show.

I found it to be distracting from the product that just took the field.

I know in the 80's this wasn't common, maybe the director on the field?, not the whole staff.

Look at the pic's of corps taking the field in the 80s, no staff to be found.

End of rant for Monday morning, Flame Away!

it's been 10 years, but I loved it when the staff hyped for the on field warmup. it was a nice way to blow off some extra adrenaline and get the emotions in check before we played.

Jeff, thanks for the review and the notes.

Just one thing, though, and, no matter how many times I hear it, I never know whether to take a line like these as a slam or a prop:

"however, they make it look too easy, and it seems that they could be peaking soon" / "show a little sweat"

I consider myself a pretty strong performer. And, I was sweating PLENTY come the end of our performance Saturday. I'm sure I speak for ALL of my Statesmen family when I say that our show is plenty hard, thank you. We'd be glad to trade our spots with members of any other corps for a day, just to show how hard we do work.

We're glad everyone who stood up several times for us at Lewisburg enjoyed our performance. If only it WAS as easy as it LOOKED.

And, as you said, Jeff, it ain't over... etc. Look out, DCA fans, come Finals. You ain't see nothin' yet!

Dale,

it's a prop. I'm in no way saying your show is easy. What I am saying is you guys do it so well you make it LOOK easy. when it looks that effortless, sometimes it can affect the numbers and get you scores where the performer is over the book, which is not a good thing in July to have.

i do like your show, and i know it isnt at full potential yet,...no one is...it's July. but at times you ES guys and gals just make it look too #### easy. I know several people around me, including one guy who hadn't spoken to me in 8 years thought so.

i know your staff. they know their ####. relax, and let them guide you, and don't get all wigged about a compliment on DCP at 3 am that may not be worded the best way possible.