So I'm confused...why is BD's show considered repetitive?

Yeah but how would you tie the dagger in the heart drill set into that?

God, who cares? It's '88!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but the '88 show isn't very dark and...well...a dagger in the heart isn't all that uplifting :rock:

why dont you go apply for the designer job out there....

Whats the deal? I guess it is ok to say something critical about a corps as long as it is not the corps that YOU like. The guy made a bunch of VERY valid points. He wasnt trashing he was simply stating the truth.

Like it or not, there is a limited amount of melodic material in this years BD show. We can arugue all day and all night long how many times you hear the GF theme and it will get us nowehere. The important thing is there is such a limited amount of melodic material that the show really has very little substance (musically speaking). It is possible to get by with very little melodic material if it is developed well....unfortunately, I don't believe that this years show is.

I agree about the repetition. How is this considered the far-and-away leader with such shallow music?

They repeated the same opening bar of "Time Out" in 03 and "Blue Rondo al la Turk" after their (what seemed like a) 9 minute introduction.

boring

I agree about the repetition. How is this considered the far-and-away leader with such shallow music?

B I N G O ....you just nailed that one on the head.

How many times do we have to hear the theme to the GF? It's used over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over..... I keep hoping for another offer that I can take them up on to end the abuse

well, IMO, if you watch the movies, you hear the theme a lot there

I am new drum corps viewer, my son being a rookie corps member. I hadn't even seen a high school field show until a couple of years ago. So I am not able to pick out all the details you more experienced fans can spot. That being said I saw the BD show three times here on the west coast and the first comment I said to my wife was "Why do they play the same theme over and over again". I like the visual effect of the total package and the level the brass and percussion play at. The only comparable corps I have seen in person is SCV and after three viewings I am not tired of their music. I also like the Blue Knights a lot. Of course I think the Mandarins are best but that is probably the proud Dad factor coming in to play.