Santa Clara

I like that they've gone back to a style that I truly enjoy. This year's music reminds me of 2002 and 2003, two shows that I really got a kick out of.

Matt, I have yet to hear their show this year. SHould I buy the SA APD?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them live in Pittsburgh, KS and they are really getting underscored, IMO. I didn't know what to expect coming into it... but WOW. They REALLY impressed me that night. If they could just clean, clean, clean... they have a shot at 5th. Still an outstanding show regardless, though.

yeah.. i think SCV is definently on their way back to being a top 5 contender. i can easily see that happening in the next 2-3 years (or even next year!) the big thing with their show this year, is that they are very dirty.. (marching wise) i believe they have a lot of rookies this year..

but whatever the case is.. scv is definently on the right track!

yeah.. i think SCV is definently on their way back to being a top 5 contender. i can easily see that happening in the next 2-3 years (or even next year!) the big thing with their show this year, is that they are very dirty.. (marching wise) i believe they have a lot of rookies this year..

but whatever the case is.. scv is definently on the right track!

Hasn't the whole marching technique/marching execution thing been a big big problem for SCV over the last several years? Lots and lots of visual dirt. But I truly LOVE the new visual design. Awesome. I LOVE their brass sound this year too, and their overall approach to the brass program is top notch. I am not a huge fan of the drum/pit book and their new approach, but the percussion is sounding pretty good (I think we can agree that the many years of Gusseck/Casella/Anocna working together at SCV spoiled us...lucky Cavaliers), and I'm willing to see how the percussion program grows and matures over the next couple of years with this team. I love the colorguard design and approach too.

So they key here is CONSISTENCY: Plese SCV...keep this staff together, or at least the design team and the caption heads and lead technicians. Well, maybe they need to look at the visual caption head and lead marching techs...seems like that has been holding SCV back for years now, even when they have been up in the top 4 over the past several years.

Go SCV...you have a great show this year and you guys are working so hard. What an improvement over the past several weeks. Keep it up.

Edited by yellowbusredux

well i havent really seen SCV that much that past few years, but i do know where your coming from.

the new scv director is doing a great job so far and if they can keep their push going in the right direction, itll be nothing but good for SCV..

i might be wrong, but i think this year has a lot of rookies.. so not thinking about the past (and last year).. if we just assume/pretend that say, SCV won last year, and this year is just a rebuilding year for them.. theres nothing to say that they cant win next year. just look at BD 97, 98, 99.. and just watch out in the next few years!

Allow me to borrow a blast from the past......

vanguard-emoticon05.gif

:)

Matt, I have yet to hear their show this year. SHould I buy the SA APD?

No. It's not angry Vanguard, and I wouldn't put it in the category of shows from 1998-2003. You wouldn't listen to it and think of 2002 or 2003 (well, maybe the closer), except that it has more in common, from the APD, with those years than with the past two. What I like about it is that it's not nearly as blatant as the past two years. There's some jazzy stuff in there, but much of the show sounds more abstract. I hope it seems that way on the DVDs as well.

I think the new drill designer has done a great job in filling Rosander's shoes, and I think the drill is effective for the theme of the show.

I'm not sold on the musical selections. I would've preferred that they choose some existing literature for the theme, like they did in, say, 2002 with the "visual" theme that they chose.

And I haven't seen them live yet, but from the video, last year's jacket with the green pants looks great.

My only disappointment with them potentially finishing sixth is that a great Crown show would likely be left out of the top six. Otherwise, congrats on rebounding this season!