Cadets the future of drum corps?

:blink::wub::blink::blink:

UNLESS the entire corps does it, unmiced.

like frameworks:

"One...one, and...one, and, four..."

or even 2000 Boston Crusaders (hush Jeff) A great, unamplified moment where voice was used effectively, didnt oversahdow or take away from the integrity of the music ensemble, and was unique and pleasing.

~G~

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And that stuff works because keeping it unmiced forces it to be used sparingly. It's ok for a few seconds as a fun gimmick.

Thats exactly it. Just another prop, intriguing, and odd, but doesnt take over and doesnt oversahdow the brass and percussion.

~G~

But amplified voice does change that. The unifed musical ensemble is no longer the focus. They provide backup music to one or two singing and talking individuals. Those people are the focus. And that is a change that is beyond what most can accept.

...a big point here.

We change show design not to show off the talents of 135 performers, but only one or two. It would be like having a sop solo that lasted three mnutes, rather than being used for effect once or twice.

That shift away from the team...or the "corps"... mentality of design to a more showy, Broadway-esque manner is tough to acknowledge for a lot of people.

Bb, grounding pits, adding valves...all kept the basic design the same, which is what people seems to crave. Big loud horns, crazy drums, lots of color. The way shows like Cadets (and in some ways, BD 05) are constructed alters that formula and changes things from the ground up.

I know there are people who like that, and think it's a nice evolution for the activity...but it cuts against the grain to what a lot of individuals think of when they think "drum corps". Changing minds on these subjects takes time and effort...and still, the battle rages on about it.

Maybe Season Pass should have a streamed directors roundtable about this in the off-season. :)

or even 2000 Boston Crusaders (hush Jeff) A great, unamplified moment where voice was used effectively, didnt oversahdow or take away from the integrity of the music ensemble, and was unique and pleasing.

~G~

i want this post framed forever on the front page of DCP. G gave Boston a high mark for something :P

I think if anything the Cadets 06 will slow down the progress of amplified vocals. At this point even if they somehow come back and win I don't think anyone, Cadets included, will try this much vocal for a long time because the Cadets are cutting an entire song (although it is a short song) to try to improve their show and also cutting some of the narration.

I see it kinda like learning 8 to 5 for the first time in a way. Your first time you take too small of a step and don't come anywhere near the yardline (Cadets 04), so the next time you push it a little further, and come closer to the line (05), you're still a little short of the line, so you push it further and the 3rd time you go a bit past the line. In this case the line being how far a corps can go with amplification and still be successful and popular.

Edit: I've been teaching too much high school band lately :P

Edited by dbc03

...a big point here.

We change show design not to show off the talents of 135 performers, but only one or two. It would be like having a sop solo that lasted three mnutes, rather than being used for effect once or twice.

That shift away from the team...or the "corps"... mentality of design to a more showy, Broadway-esque manner is tough to acknowledge for a lot of people.

Bb, grounding pits, adding valves...all kept the basic design the same, which is what people seems to crave. Big loud horns, crazy drums, lots of color. The way shows like Cadets (and in some ways, BD 05) are constructed alters that formula and changes things from the ground up.

I know there are people who like that, and think it's a nice evolution for the activity...but it cuts against the grain to what a lot of individuals think of when they think "drum corps". Changing minds on these subjects takes time and effort...and still, the battle rages on about it.

Maybe Season Pass should have a streamed directors roundtable about this in the off-season. :)

Hmm, I remember a certain corps from Toledo, Ohio doing this in 2001&2002, I just don't remember who :P . This extended solo concept is far from new.

Cadets have always been pushing the envelope with their creativity and that is actually something that I like about them. But now it's almost as if they are out of ideas, so they want to change the rules of drum corps, for everyone, so drastically that it is no longer drum and bugle corps. Star of Indiana had the same idea, and rightfully, they moved on to other venues to perform the kind of music they want to perform. I applaud them for that, and for what they have become. If I want to go see Blast, I will buy a ticket and go see it. If Cadets want singers, microphones and that kind of style, they should persue the same route that Star did. Off-Broadway is always begging for these kind of shows.

I thought I'd respond to a different part of the original post. I think you're right to see Blast as one of the inspirations for the kinds of shows the Cadets have done in 2005 & 2006. It's actually a little surprising that they have not done a theatre show under the Cadets brand. In 2004, there was an indoor show as part of the Tour of Champions. I did not see it personally, but by all reviews I read, the Cadets absolutely rocked in that format.

But, unlike Star, I would hope that the Cadets would do such a thing in addition to fielding a world class drum corps. I have no desire to chase the Cadets out of the activity. Even if I don't like their use of amps, voice, characters or whatever in a particulare show, I remain open-minded that some year they may assemble these elements into something amazing. DCI can certainly survive one corps that's testing the limits in the fashion. It only becomes the future of drum corps if everybody else decides to copy it.