Sound board rule change

Sound Board penalty  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI make a rule such that changing pit volumes during a show is a tenth penalty each time?

• Vote Yes; make volume adjustments during a show a 0.1 penalty
    • Vote No; allow staff member to change volume throughout show (current situation)

They do test them, but they also make the adjustments *as a part of the show's course*. They're planned adjustments. Not to mention, an instructor can also just mix out someone having a bad night...

too bad its not like sports..

SUB!!!

haha

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well considering that to make all the levels perfect would require a sound check that there is pretty much no time for, and also that corps are performing in different acoustical environments every night, I would say give them 1 or 2 "free" adjustments during the show. After that, start penalizing.

Well considering that to make all the levels perfect would require a sound check that there is pretty much no time for, and also that corps are performing in different acoustical environments every night, I would say give them 1 or 2 "free" adjustments during the show. After that, start penalizing.

I don't know, apparently the Cadets ad a 6-7 min. delay and they weren't penalized. I forget exactly what show it was at, but I think it was this week. So by al means, the corps should just take their time.

They do test them, but they also make the adjustments *as a part of the show's course*. They're planned adjustments. Not to mention, an instructor can also just mix out someone having a bad night...

See you just can't do a one time adjustment and walk away. You have to take everything into consideration when running sound. Sound travels up and the acoustics of it all... it just doesn't work that way. You have all sorts of outside interferences going on that have to be managed. That's why I am against this idea. They should just have the pits amped and have someone run it from down there, someone in the corps. That way the performance is still in the kids hands and not in the adults.

However, with the way it's done now you have to have someone at the board mixing at all times. Anything can happen. Running live sound in any venue is a constant job. Take it from someone who has been in the music business.

What I don't like is once I read somewhere where a certain director was at the sound panel, no this should not be. That is not fair.

But if they are going to "play" this way they should be penalized in general effect and have it be part of GE scoring.

Edited by Lancerlady

Rediculous.

What about times in the show where you are making changes on the board intentionally? From pads to mutes, to adjustments to reverb, etc. There are too many things a corps can and should be able to do without restriction.

Look, I didn't care for the electornics rule, but it's here. Let's at least make it as easy as possible within the scope of the rules for a corps to make it work.

Every stadium is acoustically different, so if the corps can't do a soundcheck, then staff should be able to adjust the volume.

Every stadium is acoustically different, so if the corps can't do a soundcheck, then staff should be able to adjust the volume.

thats BS.. ever heard "is your corps ready?"

everyone has time to warmup on the field.. move around, get their props out, get their pit set up.. you arend putting the sound board together piece by piece, you roll it out.. hook up some wires. if you cant get it set up in the allotted time, you should be penalized. if you cant make it work in the time given, done use it.

thats BS.. ever heard "is your corps ready?"

everyone has time to warmup on the field.. move around, get their props out, get their pit set up.. you arend putting the sound board together piece by piece, you roll it out.. hook up some wires. if you cant get it set up in the allotted time, you should be penalized. if you cant make it work in the time given, done use it.

It's not BS it's the truth. Every stadium is acoustically different because it's different every where you perform. Sound is more then just rolling out some wires and hooking them up.

This is the reason I've been saying it's not going to work with drum corps, too many things affecting the overall quality of the show.

Have you ever done live sound before in any venue? Just wondering...

I think this rule should have two parts:

1. No volume adjustment on the soundboard during the show.

2. Volume on the soundboard starts at zero.

Play ball!

I wish someone who has run sound professionally would come on in this discussion and help out.

I am not for the sound board period, but if you are going to have it they should be at the board running the sound. You can't restrict it but what they could do is block them from touching the knobs on certain things to cheat. There are ways to do that.