Wren PR - Shaw PR comparison

So, JD Shaw's years with PR have coincided with an information explosion in the form of bootlegs, Youtube, APDs, and my precious ethernet cable.

But I don't know anything about the years that Jim Wren arranged for PR, other than reading Drum Corps World. Were there significant rewrites midseason like we've seen since 2002?

And along this topic, it seems like Shaw's arrival has brought a more modern arranging style - modern in that it's written in a more similar style to other top corps. This isn't a knock, just an observation. While I think Wren's stuff is fantastic (barring 1998), I just don't see his stuff competing with other corps out there. Would, for instance, Wren have written a third-place book last year?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, JD Shaw's years with PR have coincided with an information explosion in the form of bootlegs, Youtube, APDs, and my precious ethernet cable.

But I don't know anything about the years that Jim Wren arranged for PR, other than reading Drum Corps World. Were there significant rewrites midseason like we've seen since 2002?

And along this topic, it seems like Shaw's arrival has brought a more modern arranging style - modern in that it's written in a more similar style to other top corps. This isn't a knock, just an observation. While I think Wren's stuff is fantastic (barring 1998), I just don't see his stuff competing with other corps out there. Would, for instance, Wren have written a third-place book last year?

I can only speak from experience on the four years I marched...

In 1991, the only addition to the show was a small brass line added to the beginning of the drum solo in Bachannale. I seem to remember a small voicing change on the Pagliacci theme, Part II as well...

In 1992, I cannot recall any musical changes made.

In 1993, I remember a cut to the middle section of Movement III from Estancia, but that is all.

In 1994, I remember a huge chunk of Ritual Fire Dance was changed, and the North by Northwest theme was added later in the season as well.

Nothing like the big changes we've seen this year, for sure.

Having marched with J.D., I can tell you, he's a fun and talented guy, and I have enjoyed his arrangements. In fact, he arranged part of our 1994 show, though he left before the season was up due to other commiments.

Yes, in the past they have rewritten chunks of the show. Wren however is not always the biggest fan of it. Just ask JD what happens when you change Jim Wren's parts without permission? :)

Jim Wren is probably one of the most incredible people you will ever meet. Soft spoken, most of the time, he gushes knowledge.

In the early beginnings of the corps, Jim sat out to write the horn book. He had some knowledge but relied mostly on hardwork, books from the Rockford library, and trial and error to develop into the great arranger he is today. As far as I know, the Phantom Regiment, the Rockford Library, and some buddies are what created the arranger he is. He didn't go to school for it.

If you doubt any of Jim Wren's arrangements, hear a Phantom Regiment encore this year. His arrangements would easily hold up to what is being produced today. Modern composers are not even an obstacle for him (check 94)...

If I had to write a hornbook today and could choose anyone Jim Wren would be my man. He will drop every ounce of effort he has into making it the best product possible.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

In 1991, the only addition to the show was a small brass line added to the beginning of the drum solo in Bachannale. I seem to remember a small voicing change on the Pagliacci theme, Part II as well...

In 1993, I remember a cut to the middle section of Movement III from Estancia, but that is all.

In 1994, I remember a huge chunk of Ritual Fire Dance was changed, and the North by Northwest theme was added later in the season as well.

Having marched with J.D., I can tell you, he's a fun and talented guy, and I have enjoyed his arrangements. In fact, he arranged part of our 1994 show, though he left before the season was up due to other commiments.

In 1991 wasn't the corps supposed to play another tune instead of the Pagliacci "ballad," but it was scrapped?

Yes, in the past they have rewritten chunks of the show. Wren however is not always the biggest fan of it. Just ask JD what happens when you change Jim Wren's parts without permission? :)

Yeah, I was trying not to mention it explicitly, but...it has a lot to do with why JD left Regiment in 1994.

I also remember Jim throwing a #### fit when Marty Hurley changed part of Pagliacci in 1991.

Was this just the nature of drum corps back then?

Or was this because Wren/PR didn't rewrite stuff back then?

Jim Wren is probably one of the most incredible people you will ever meet. Soft spoken, most of the time, he gushes knowledge.

In the early beginnings of the corps, Jim sat out to write the horn book. He had some knowledge but relied mostly on hardwork, books from the Rockford library, and trial and error to develop into the great arranger he is today. As far as I know, the Phantom Regiment, the Rockford Library, and some buddies are what created the arranger he is. He didn't go to school for it.

If you doubt any of Jim Wren's arrangements, hear a Phantom Regiment encore this year. His arrangements would easily hold up to what is being produced today. Modern composers are not even an obstacle for him (check 94)...

If I had to write a hornbook today and could choose anyone Jim Wren would be my man. He will drop every ounce of effort he has into making it the best product possible.

I love what I have heard from J.D. these past several years. I think that his writing style is fresh, original, and cutting edge. I haven't seen a whole lot of pre/mid season Regiment since I marched, so I don't know the extent of the changes and rewrites that J.D. has written.

The philosphy in the years that I marched seemed to be to work out the kinks in the winter and early season and finesse and clean what you had. There are some moments that Jim wrote that are beyond belief for me:

1986 - Resurrection Symphony still gets me going.

1987 - Swan Lake (closer) Beautiful and moving.

1988 - The Love theme to the reintroduction of the Montagues and Capulets (drum solo), and from the "Death Chord to the end.

1989 - Pick Your Favorite Part (My Favorite Part is the beginning. Though that show is the complete show, the first part gets me.

1990 - The first "Organ" hit.

1991 - I'm a little partial....you decide. I like the Company Front after Ray's solo in Pagliacci. Also, the hearts are kind of cool.

1992 - The Ensemble

1993 - 4 Words - Fire of Eternal Glory

1994 - Ritual Fire Dance (Though, with apologies Nikk, I can never listen to this show without thinking about '87 Star.

1995 - The recordings for that year make evrything sound awful.

1996 - Build in Opener. Symphony #5.

1997. The final restatement of the Ring theme.

1998-2002. Those are the dark years for me and Regiment (and DCI). I have the recordings, but I just don't listen a ton.

2003 - Start of the new era.

Jim wrote great stuff. J.D. writes great stuff.

Let's hope a trophy can make it's home in Rockford very soon!

Chris