Wren PR - Shaw PR comparison

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1998-2002. Those are the dark years for me and Regiment (and DCI). I have the recordings, but I just don't listen a ton.

2003 - Start of the new era.

Jim wrote great stuff. J.D. writes great stuff.

I neglected to mention Michael Klesch in there, since he was only there a couple years. But I thought his stuff in 2000 and 2001, particularly the latter, were great.

In the early beginnings of the corps, Jim sat out to write the horn book. He had some knowledge but relied mostly on hardwork, books from the Rockford library, and trial and error to develop into the great arranger he is today. As far as I know, the Phantom Regiment, the Rockford Library, and some buddies are what created the arranger he is. He didn't go to school for it.

What was/is his day job?

Was this just the nature of drum corps back then?

Or was this because Wren/PR didn't rewrite stuff back then?

Other corps made changes aplenty. I remember SCV virtually performing a new show every night on tour. Music changes, uniform changes (wish they'd kept the prayer shawls!), drill changes... basically, any facet of the show they could change, they changed at one point or another.

EDIT: Oh, that was in '92.

Edited by MikeBob

You are correct...he was an insurance salesman. Some of his scores are actually on "Fireman's Fund" stationery. Heh heh...I have a few of those. :P

Not a salesman, actually, but he works in the insurance industry. Risk analysis sort of stuff.

During the majority of Jims years there were enough members from the Rockford area that we had weekly rehearsals. Since we a some what decently balanced weekly ensemble he was able to hear the music and make changes on a weekly basis. This allowed him to have what he wanted before the music was even handed out to the full horn line at the next camp. Since most corps now have membership that is so spread out around the US and even the world, the arranger generally only can hear the pieces once a month. Without this extra "play" time, midseason rewrites have becoming more and more common while in the old days of truly local corps rewrites were far less common.

I neglected to mention Michael Klesch in there, since he was only there a couple years. But I thought his stuff in 2000 and 2001, particularly the latter, were great.

I love Michael Klesch's arrangements....my only complaint was that he made Phantom Regiment sound too east coast....he LOVED the mellophones....

And along this topic, it seems like Shaw's arrival has brought a more modern arranging style - modern in that it's written in a more similar style to other top corps. This isn't a knock, just an observation. While I think Wren's stuff is fantastic (barring 1998), I just don't see his stuff competing with other corps out there. Would, for instance, Wren have written a third-place book last year?

Jim Wren arranged American in Paris for Phantom in 1976. It was every bit as good as last year's version. He was one of the best arrangers in the history of the activity and was able to adapt to different styles in 3 decades. The current guy is good, but he has a *long* way to go to fill Wren's shoes.