wierdest shows of all time?

Definetely Cadets 2006 or BD 1995 IMO

I'm with you on Cadets 2006 and the Blue Devils..... but Blue Devils '90 was weird for me. That's the year they did " Tommy ". I kind of liked it. But it was weird for me to hear the Blue Devils do this type of show.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown's 2001 show Industry left me scratching my head when I first saw it, but after listenning to it more, I have really come to enjoy it.

Speaking of weird gimmicks and props, I don't remember which corps did it (I think they may have been division 2) but I remember seeing a corps in which the drumline got in these rotating harnessess and played their break while literally spinning head over heels! Anyone remember who that was?

think it was either Kiwanis or Les Etoiles with the rotating drums

Edited by raphael18

'88 Suncoast Sound - their "Contemporary Child" show. It was considered extremely avant garde at the time and (in my opinion) underappreciated by the fans. It was way WAY ahead of it's time and in my mind is a classic. I vote for it every year to be on the Classic Countdown, but maybe I'm the only one.
As a way of demonstrating just how ahead of it's time that Suncoast show was, look at the themes... adolescent girl guard character, lost in fantasies and nightmares, confronts her demons.. sound familiar? No, I'm not talking about Cadets 2005! I'm talking about Suncoast '88 of course..

Even the musical style which would sound familiar to today's listener was unheard of at the time.. that show was pure genius.

And I agree - the Spirit show in '88 was an enormous departure for them.

Also no discussion of strange Drum Corps shows can be complete without tossing in Star's space show - I don't remember off the top of my head what year that was but it was really out there.

Wow!!! Thanks for all the love everybody. We LOVED performing that show and totally got off from the fact that people had no idea what was going on.

Les Etoiles I think... it was in 1998.

A weiird show that I've seen on DVD would be Magic 1995.... but I'm assuming that was one of Karl Lowe's shows? If so then it's expected of him to pull out every nut and tricket to get the theme across. What an interesting guy

Les Etoiles did the spinning drums in '96 (well at least that year)...I remember the discussion about it...in '97 with the 25th anniversary retrospective, they showed the spinning drums right before they suddenly reverted back to the '72 Kingsmen

I popped in my 91 CD today and I found myself loving the Blue Devils from that year. I kept thinking how really strange the music was even way back when I heard it, for the first time (at the time not very BD like) but loved it then and now none-the-less. So that brings me to the point of this post what do you think the top 5 all time wierdest shows are? Mine are as follows:

I aged with BD in 91 and went there because i wanted to play some latin jazz. When we first learned the show i wan't buying it at all, but after some explaing of the show by the staff and all days, i came to love it. Listening back on it i now think it was a show ahead of its time. For that time it was totally not BD!

\

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98