Do past corps placements alter our perception of them?

I honestly believe that Spirit's show should be the roadmap for DCI corps to bring the fan$ ($1 to Cozy Baker) back to the activity, as far as audience enjoyment goes. The show is simply the most fun I've had in years at a DCI show.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

why would someone travel from europe to march in a top 3 corps, versus a corps that has never made finals?
i never said top 3.. apparently YOU believe a "top" corps is only the top 3.

you are missing the point anyways.. but let me rephrase what i said for those of you who like to put words in my mouth.

you dont typically see people from other countries coming to march DCI in a div 2/3 corps, or a corps that normally does not make finals.

stop putting words in my mouth or assuming things that you think i thought i said

You put them there yourself big guy.

why do people NOT stand up and applaude when a "lower" corps enters or exits the field... versus a top corps?

why would someone travel from europe to march in a top 3 corps, versus a corps that has never made finals?

They actually AREN'T putting words in your mouth. You said both "top" and "top 3", just for the record. And Crossmen had numerous members from other countries in '98.

Ok, already addressed...my bad. Guess I'm just not fast enough :)

I think some fans develop that attitude, and I have probably fallen into the trap myself on occasion.

But I love Spirits show this year, it's fun and just some really nice charts.

Many years I have enjoyed lower tier Div I corps and Div II/III shows as much or more than some top shows.

I guess part of it is what you like and enjoy about drum corps. Certainly the combination of difficulty and excellent exectution of the top corps creates a certain excitment and enjoyment. But I've also been bored by some of those shows; difficulty for the sake of difficulty with little emotional impact.

But often a "lower" corps will play some really nice tunes. Maybe the book isn't as difficult, but it's still a great chart. If you let it be about the music, there is much to enjoy all the way from top to bottom.

When I saw Spirit last month, I honestly wasn't expecting much, and as a 12th place corps I expected them to have a mediocre, not very deep show.

I think it's a mediocre, not very deep show. But not because it's currently in 12th place.

On a side note, Blue Shades totally ruins this show for me. I really like the other tunes (though not necessarily the arrangements), but Blue Shades is really out of place, in my opinion.

Actually you said Top 3 corps in this statement in this thread.

IF you took the top 4 corps scores at Championships and flip flopped them no one would know the difference. The corps are all so good that we are just going by somebody's opinion. Bring back the tear down captions. Stand in front of some kid and dare him or her to play perfectly. Have a judge stand in front of a snareline and have them indavidually and as a group prove to that the judge that he can't find anything wrong. Nowadays you have to be nice and always build up. What ever happened to get your act together and prove that you were the best instead of some "judge" that likes or dislikes you slot you where they think you belong. How is it that "judges" on each coast score 2 different shows on the same night very ,very similar?? Just a thought

RF